Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had purchased a 2000 model, VT750 ACE and this is my 1st bike. I recently took to doing a full service on it and part of that service includes replacing the sprockets and chain. I am taking the opportunity to raise the final drive ratio as well by going to a 39T rear sprocket.

Anyway, one thing I always noticed was how noisy my chain was. I got it pretty slack, so I tensioned it according to the manual. I also lubricated it with a Belray O ring chain lube.. but even with that, it still was pretty loud. At low speeds, you would hear the chain over the sound of the motor / exhaust! Not crazy loud, but definitely noticeable..

After doing some more reading here, I learned the chain is a wearable item and must be replaced accordingly. This is what I found when I took down the factory sprockets. I have a strong feeling this is the original chain that came with the bike!

Drive 17T Sprocket (JT 17T)

Wheel 41T sprocket (JT 39T)

:shock: Pics speak for themselves! If the Odometer is correct, the bike has done 51,500miles.. I never had any issues other than noise.

What is the most mileage you have ever got in your chain / sprockets?

Rene

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
I got about 28,000 out of the chain/sprocket. It was stock at the time. You got a good ear, I'd have never heard it, I have to depend on performance and feel.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I would bet thats the stock chain and sprockets as well. That drive sprocket is one of the worst ive seen.

But hey, at least you have a throwing star now!

·
Registered
18,130 Posts
That is one item I`ve not kept track of...
I`ve replaced my set and "fixin to" change it again this coming week, but have never written down mileage when I did swap it out...
123,000 miles is the mileage I`ll write down this time though...
I`ve kept tabs on oil changes and tires, but not chain and sprocket sets yet???
I bought the Bike with 40,000 miles on it it now reads 22578...
I ""Think"" this is set #4 I`ve bought???
Not sure though...
I do remember one Bike Master, One Regina and one OEM set, BUT mileage I dunno???

You done got ALL THE GOODY from that set!!!:D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would bet thats the stock chain and sprockets as well. That drive sprocket is one of the worst ive seen.

But hey, at least you have a throwing star now!
More like a throwing circle! btw, nice Chevy!

I'm surprised it has never slipped on me.. Being my 1st bike, I do take the occasional blast through the gears, but I'm generally very careful when riding.. Can't wait to experience what a new chain / sprocket would feel like.. :lol:

·
Registered
557 Posts
Wow, that is worn!

My chain was noisy and it was just lack of lube. I had used that clingy blue stuff but it wasn't enough. After I soaked the chain with gear oil the noise went away. I think the old chain had lost it's lube inside the O rings and that blue stuff just wasn't liquid enough to get inside the rollers.

·
Registered
18,130 Posts
Wow, that is worn!

My chain was noisy and it was just lack of lube. I had used that clingy blue stuff but it wasn't enough. After I soaked the chain with gear oil the noise went away. I think the old chain had lost it's lube inside the O rings and that blue stuff just wasn't liquid enough to get inside the rollers.

I use chainsaw chain oil...
It don`t sling off, and carry a small 3oz bottle in the saddlebag to treat my chain curbside...
Mine will "tell me" when it needs oiling, by noise/feel...

I recommend oiling a WARM chain, as in Stop the bike - oil the chain as soon as you stop while it allows oil to flow to those rollers as needed...
Just a crazy thought that works for me ;)

Many good lubes out there and many opinions on which is best, BUT what does the chain manufacturer suggest?
90W oil :D

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
WOW! That thing wasn't far from coming off of the front sprocket and doin some damage! Good thing you caught it!

What kind of chain did you go with?

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Yeah, the gold color looks pretty cool. Here is mine. Its a DID X-ring.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
One thing to be VERY careful about is the tension. I purposely left my last chain a mm or two more slack than the sticker says. Why you ask? One year i tensioned it a tad tighter than normal and wore through the REAR sprocket in one summer. In fact i rode so much that year that the extra tension and heat just melted the sprocket. The teeth were so worn that if i jabbed the throttle i could slip it past what was left of the teeth.

And, talk about noisy... it was embarrassing that it could be heard OVER my loud pipes.

·
Registered
11,178 Posts
That's about the worst I've seen as well. Good thing you decided to check all of that.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Yeah, the gold color looks pretty cool. Here is mine. Its a DID X-ring.
Thanks for posting that photo. I have wondered how a gold chain would look on a black frame. I like it.

"Gold & Black" Boiler up! :mrgreen: It's a Purdue thing! :D

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
While i love my shaft driven Fury, i would not have wanted it on the Spirit. The Fury is geared really low, i can get almost 15mph more in each gear before i have to shift over my modded Spirit.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
More like a throwing circle! btw, nice Chevy!

I'm surprised it has never slipped on me.. Being my 1st bike, I do take the occasional blast through the gears, but I'm generally very careful when riding.. Can't wait to experience what a new chain / sprocket would feel like.. :lol:
Thank you for the kind words about the truck, shes turned back into a work in progress in the last year or 2, needs some love. I've been giving too much to the bikes!

I also think you'll find it greatly rewarding and surprisingly easy to do things on your bike by under taking your own maintenance, good to see a new guy doing so! From getting my start on motorcycles a few years back and wrenching on truck since before I could drive, I'm now the proud owner of quite a tool chest and nearly a full auto shop! I've found that the tools pay for themselves usually after the first use!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I use chainsaw chain oil...
It don`t sling off, and carry a small 3oz bottle in the saddlebag to treat my chain curbside...
Mine will "tell me" when it needs oiling, by noise/feel...

I recommend oiling a WARM chain, as in Stop the bike - oil the chain as soon as you stop while it allows oil to flow to those rollers as needed...
Just a crazy thought that works for me ;)

Many good lubes out there and many opinions on which is best, BUT what does the chain manufacturer suggest?
90W oil :D
Yup, oil when the chain is warm! We have to do that with our hay baler, or at least let it run for a few and oil the chains before taking off. Those big chains arent much fun to replace either or take a link out if you get too much slack.

·
Registered
18,130 Posts
Have factory maintenance experience on machinery, conveyors and other drive systems, plus working knowledge of heat/cool = expansion/contraction process has its advantages in most everything O tinker with :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.