Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A gas station on the way to work has just started selling the non ethanol gas in one of their pumps. It is 90 octane and costs about 10 percent more.

I decided to give it a try for a few tank fulls, and see if my mileage goes up. It certainly feels like I have another horse under the tank!
Dan

·
Registered
561 Posts
Sweet..Here, they have to sell the summer mix. Garbage...

·
Registered
680 Posts
That's all I run in my bike. It makes a big difference and even the exhaust smells different.
Like wise here. I always run 91 octane, and on rare occasion 94. I mostly do this because I'm use to running 91 in my cage as it's a requirement but, the lack of ethanol is a bonus. Besides that, it's pretty cheap to fill up the bike, so win win.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Funny,...the Service Engine light went on just the other day in the family cage. So I read the code and it's the O2 sensor (upstream). I'm ready to plop down the 50 bucks for a new one but the sale guy stops me and says to run a can of seafoam first. He said they're seeing tons of these codes since ethanol became widespread and that many times a good gas treatment (is there such a thing?) clears the issues.

Maybe he's just getting a good spiff from seafoam and he'll sell the sensor still later, but I'm trying it!

·
Registered
17,132 Posts
On the way back from a Tennesee trip the check engine light came on in the wifes` van, got it to go out once, but came back on...
This was the result of Ethanol gas we bought on that trip, then all the stations got it now...
I recently fount one station in our area that sells NONethanol, I`m filling up my jugs fer the small engines on the farm...
I reckon the seafoam idea might work to make the light go out, but it`ll come back on IF you continue to use ethanol gas...
Lose-Lose!!!
Dennis
8days=Sturgis Run

·
Registered
74 Posts
A gas station on the way to work has just started selling the non ethanol gas in one of their pumps. It is 90 octane and costs about 10 percent more.

I decided to give it a try for a few tank fulls, and see if my mileage goes up. It certainly feels like I have another horse under the tank!
Dan

I fill up every Friday on my way home from work with the same 90 octane ethanol-free gas. When I start my bike up after filling her with the good stuff, she lets me know she's happy. It's come to a point where I cringe at the thought of putting ethanol gas back into the tank. I am a believer in this stuff. Also, I have noticed a slight increase in mileage. Don't get me wrong, it's not greatly different. However, it has increased. I pay the extra dime for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Short and sweet, here are my results with non-ethanol gas, ran a couple of tanks of it to be fair.
The bike seemed to run better, in every way.
But absolutely zero improvement in mileage.

The last tank, the dang gas station went up another dime on it to 4.299, and their regular unleaded remained same price at 3.749. I don't know if he was price gouging because people like the fuel or what. But I am not going to keep buying it at that price. I ride 130 miles a day, EVERY day, and my bike runs nearly as good with the cheap stuff.
Dan

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
My truck runs better on non-ethanol but I don't know it ever made much difference in my bike. A friend of mine swears by the stuff, he only runs premium in his valk.

I've heard that on anything earlier than 03 it's actually hard on all the seals. The ethanol causes them to deteriorate. I don't know how much truth there is to that though.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
If you can get ethanol free gas without having to pay racing fuel or AV GAS prices buy it. Ethanol is the devil. Ethanol has a different specific gravity than gas. It can be an inconsistent mixture once it gets to your tank. There is a local construction equipment dealer/rental here who has taken the time to pull samples and test many of the station's gas in the area that is supposed to have 10% or less ethanol. They consistently had from 18-23% ethanol. If you buy a new piece of gas operated equipment from him, he adds paperwork to your warranty package that he will not honor any warranty if you run pump gas in the equipment.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,229 Posts
Hate to break the bad news but it is impossible to get ethanol-free gasoline at retail outlets in America. Our fuel delivery system is polluted with ethanol -- testing has shown between 2% and 5% ethanol in "ethanol-free" gasoline. Imagine what you're getting when you buy 10% ethanol or, egads, 15% ethanol. No wonder MPG is going down far more than calculations indicate it should.

And, btw, ethanol INCREASES the octane rating. You are paying a premium to get 90 octane; if the station owner knows you'll pay even more to get (what you believe is) ethanol-free gas, he'll charge you even more. That IS the American way.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
My Sabre had died out on me twice, it just quit while on the road. It would idle, but die if I gave it any throttle.

It would clear after a few minutes, but the second time I was waiting at Richard's Honda before 8am.
Drained the tank, checked the carbs, nothing.... Both the shop manager and parts manager recommended this Star Tron product,

Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment - LIFESTYLE CYCLE

I'm on my 3rd teated tank and so far no choking and the bike is running a lot better. MPG is around 40, used to be 44.

I like this stuff :D

·
Registered
302 Posts
Wish I had an ethanol free station less than 40 miles from where I live. (I live in the middle of nowhere). My bike runs ok on ethanol, but I have a vintage car that really suffers. Apparently ethanol has a low boiling point. On a warm day when I shut it off, the fuel in the carbs and lines boils, you can see it boiling through the transparent fuel lines, the fuel spills down the carb throats and floods the motor. Carb spacers and heat shields haven't cured it. Ethanol is also rough on the float needles, it messes up the viton tips.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have three "country" stations within 10 miles of me, one about 45 seconds from my house, that sell non-ethanol gas. It's the only thing I put in my mowers and my bike WHEN I'm around and need a fillup. The one close to my house is the same price as ethanol gas down the road, an added bonus. My bike is happier with it too...

·
Registered
296 Posts
My Sabre had died out on me twice, it just quit while on the road. It would idle, but die if I gave it any throttle.

It would clear after a few minutes, but the second time I was waiting at Richard's Honda before 8am.
Drained the tank, checked the carbs, nothing.... Both the shop manager and parts manager recommended this Star Tron product,

Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment - LIFESTYLE CYCLE

I'm on my 3rd teated tank and so far no choking and the bike is running a lot better. MPG is around 40, used to be 44

I like this stuff :D
I have a bottle that I use for the Jeep, I think that I'll give it a shot in the bike as well. The bike stalled yesterday a couple of times fir no apparent reason, fired up after a few cranks. This after filling up a few times at various stations. Fellow rider was telling me about it, I think he adds a capful at fill up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts