Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm a new rider with not a lot of motorcycle knowledge yet, but I'm trying... I'm in the market for new tires. I've found some OEM online (https://www.denniskirk.com/tires-and-wheels/2000-honda-vt600cd-shadow-vlx-deluxe.mmy) but I'm wondering if there are different sizes that may fit my rims/bike, and whether or not a wider rear tire has any advantages. Also what kind of treads might be best for riding mostly city and highway in Northern CA.

Thanks for any and all advice and info!

· Registered
2,685 Posts
Avon Tires is the only brand ill recommend. Others like other brands, so it comes down to price and preference i guess.

As far as widening rims, you have to relace the outer onto the spokes and after doing one, i would not want to do another.

· Registered
68 Posts
Michelin Commander II is what I have on the front and like it, seems to be a good tire, others that have them in pairs seem to like the handling of them.
I had them too on my shadow and they were a good all around tire. had I kept the shadow I would have continued to use them
I was able to go up a size on both the front and rear however I was told that clearances were what you mainly had to look out for (wider tire and possibly taller) the shop that mounted them helped me with the sizes

· Premium Member
11,278 Posts
I had them too on my shadow and they were a good all around tire. had I kept the shadow I would have continued to use them
I was able to go up a size on both the front and rear however I was told that clearances were what you mainly had to look out for (wider tire and possibly taller) the shop that mounted them helped me with the sizes
I only run the stock size front, my rear tire is non conventional

· Registered
3,130 Posts
Michellin CommanderII are great lasting tires that handle well, the only time they are a little slippery is when cold and in the wet

I went lower and a little wider on my rear tire (VT1100C) to drop the gearing but couldn't get the commander II over here that size so went Metzler 880 great even when cold..... but I wont get half the miles so may import commander II in the same size (USA has them NZ doesn't)

basiclly if they have the clearance you can run them, if the speedo is front wheel driven it will effect the reading.....

No real world advantage with going wider really.

· Registered
1,831 Posts
Another vote for the Michelin Commander II.

· Registered
3,130 Posts
If i didnt go wider, the chicken strips would have rolled over to the sidewall.

your bike runs much lower profiles though... not the std 15"

I had zero strips on he front and rear but since the front/rear tire change I have a little further to go now.......but only a few mm (went back to std front to sort speedo error and wider lower rear)

Wider on the same rim will make the tire rounder so yes if you are on the edge wider will help but most aren't on the edge with the strips

· Registered
2,685 Posts
I assumed you just had the Fury which from memory has a 200/50 18?
I dont have the Shadow, but this is the Shadow forum so im talking about the last 8 years i had one. Its only been gone 3 months lol.

Im just trying to make the argument that wider is better and has real world results. With the wider tire the bike handles TOTALLY different than the stock 404 that was on there. Well... i guess anything would handle better than that. LOL :D

· Registered
3,130 Posts
. With the wider tire the bike handles TOTALLY different than the stock 404 that was on there. Well... i guess anything would handle better than that. LOL :D

You wont be the first to find massive differences over the 404...... :p

· Registered
4,833 Posts
Tire choice is like personal preference for anything else -- you will get opinions all over the place, none of which is necessarily the right one for you. If you are not an aggressive rider there is not much chance you will ever exceed the traction or performance limits of ANY street-oriented tire that meets DOT standards. You are riding a cruiser, after all, so it is unlikely you will be powersliding around curves.

I've used everything from cheap Shinkos to expensive Metzeler Tourances and the only appreciable riding difference I can recognize is between bias-ply and radials. THAT is very significant -- the rest (road noise, vibration, longevity, etc.) may be noticeable but is mostly marginal.

As for tire size, yes you have some margin there but you are limited by the rim width. Tire manufacturers can tell you the rim sizes each of their tire sizes will safely fit. But keep in mind that even if a fatter rear tire will fit an OEM rim it may not fit between the swingarm. I've used rear tires that I had to deflate to install on the bike.

· Registered
208 Posts
As "MikeB" said in first half, I don't widen tires. I have found over the years how the tire handles can be very different between brands, Hard rubber, Soft rubber, Cheap tire or more costly tires. To a point you do get what you pay for. I don't run cheap tires anymore, just not worth the headache or risk. Most differences in cost are only about $20-30(one good dinner cost).
I would take advice from those who ride every-day commuters as they ride rain or shine and had more tire changes/rubber to deal with than weekend riders. VT600 are nice every day commuter bikes.

So far I have run the following on my VT600's.

Dunlop(Orig.) tires I found to slip and hydroplane in wet and in dry conditions would pull on any uneven road edge on front wheel (Pulled on my hand grip was not happy. I pulled these off before needing to replace).

Michellin Commander tires I found to slip in cold & wet, rear came out from under me a few times (Not a good feeling).

Metzler 880 I have on bike at this time and have rode in hard-rain and 32 degree weather so far good (have to see how many miles I get, but I want dependible handling over miles).

Good luck on your choice.

· Registered
2,685 Posts
As "MikeB" said in first half, I don't widen tires. I have found over the years how the tire handles can be very different between brands, Hard rubber, Soft rubber, Cheap tire or more costly tires. To a point you do get what you pay for. I don't run cheap tires anymore, just not worth the headache or risk. Most differences in cost are only about $20-30(one good dinner cost).
Good point.

I would take advice from those who ride every-day commuters as they ride rain or shine and had more tire changes/rubber to deal with than weekend riders. VT600 are nice every day commuter bikes.
What makes a daily commuter? Im a biker. I ride whenever i can regardless. Well, save for the extreme cold. Because i have a Fury all of a sudden my experience means less? Also, sometimes those 'weekenders' put a couple thousand miles on in two days, what makes them any less viable to listen to?

Dunlop(Orig.) tires I found to slip and hydroplane in wet and in dry conditions would pull on any uneven road edge on front wheel (Pulled on my hand grip was not happy. I pulled these off before needing to replace).

Michellin Commander tires I found to slip in cold & wet, rear came out from under me a few times (Not a good feeling).

Metzler 880 I have on bike at this time and have rode in hard-rain and 32 degree weather so far good (have to see how many miles I get, but I want dependible handling over miles).

Good luck on your choice.
Ive had Avon Venoms slip twice. Once i intended for it to happen as in i popped the clutch, revved and let the clutch back out. The other time i didnt realize how humid it was, pulled onto a main road off of a side road that was at about a 45 degree incline and hammered it. So the rear tire was more or less unloaded when i did this, had it been a zero incline i doubt it would have happened.
Ive ridden in 25 degree weather with no issues. Granted, it wasnt a picnic, but the tires were more than fine. I also put 20k+ on the front Venom before i sold the bike and there was still a visible center groove you could hang a fingernail on.

Just my addition.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.