Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new guy here with a new guy question that I hope I can get some clarification on. I'm fairly new to the motorcycling world so my logical first step is to take and pass the beginner's motorcycle class which I plan to do in the next two weeks. My question is that in my area I have two choices, one class is offered at the local technical college and the other is at the local Harley dealership. Both courses are DMV and MSF approved but the one at the Harley dealership is $100 more expensive. I was wondering if anyone knows if the one offered by Harley is better to take than the one offered at a technical college? Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Harley guys just like spending more Money @ the Dealership.Go to the Tech College

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
Welcome from just down I-20, post pics of your ride!
Go to the technical college! I know the trainer for Aiken county and he is really good!
Coop

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
welcome bud.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Welcome to the forum; welcome to the world of motorcycles. I took the class through a Technical College, I'd suggest going there. Have fun and be safe!

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Welcome aboard! Looks like you already have some first hand advice that sounds pretty solid so can't add much to it. Good luck and have fun.

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
@Kingshead as far as my first bike goes, I'm torn between the 750 Shadow Spirit and the 750 Shadow Aero
Used or new?

This is a pic of the 2011 Aero, no Spirit offered for this year. This bike fits my style choice of a retro bike very well, a very strong contender. The only color option I saw was this winberry red, this might influence my choice.

This is the 2011 RS, if you like the Harley Sportster this is the bike for you. I kinda like the more traditional aggressive stance of a standard bike that it seems to do well.

This is the popular Phantom, many new members here riding this bike. There seems to already be parts for modding and making one your own, you can see some great ones on this site. I really like it's minimalist approach, especially if you help it more in that direction (bobber).

This is the 2009 Spirit, the last year it was offered. Most likely you will be able to find some new ones still unsold at very discounted prices. This is also my last choice of the bikes pictured. Each of the others has a certain niche and fills it well, where the Spirit seems to have lost it's identity. If the austere look of the Phantom isn't to your liking but it's lines are, then this is the bike for you.

If buying a 2009, this would be my choice, again the Aero. Hopefully the 2011 line-up offers this color combo. This bike really meets my requirements for a retro bike.

So, which bike wins as my choice? Well if I was limited to these as my offerings it would have to be the 2009 Aero. First, the cool retro styling. Second, as it's a 2009 and essentially 2yrs old the minute you leave the lot it should be offered at rock bottom prices. Last but not least, I see some great potential here for customization. The Phantom was a very close second but the seat kills the look. Modding would not only be possible, but required. But when modded as seen elsewhere on this site, it's a showstopper.

If not held to these models but still a recent Honda? Then this bike right here, the 1100cc 1999 Aero. The retro styling is off the chart with the beach bars, speedometer mounted in the headlight bucket, and it's stretched out look. This bike would need very little in the way of mods to fit right in with my requirements. Picture this without the fecking windshield and rawhide tassles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Kingshead Thanks for the extended info bro. I planned on going used and the 09 Aero is leading the charge as my favorite so far. I wasn't really aware of the Phantom till I started looking at the forum, and the dealership I went to didn't even mention it when I asked about the Shadow line. I'm going to look around this weekend and see if I can find a Phantom to sit on and compare it to the Aero.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts