Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this earlier in the wrong forum. My bad.

I'm considering my first bike in thirty years. Used to race a Yamaha RD 350 in cafe class, now I want a mid-size cruiser and need some advice. I'm thinking about a 750 Shadow (used), but am confused on the models. What is the difference between the Ace, the Spirit and any other variations of the Shadow series? Pictures would help a lot.

Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
the aero 750 is shaft-driven, the ace (1998ish-2003ish) were chain, but they made the aero750 and stopped making the ace. the spirit is more of a skinny-front-tire, chopper/drag style bike, and IMO, does not look as classy as the ace. I would say if you want a nice fat entry level cruiser, go for the ace or aero.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The Spirit 750's are of course the fastest.
And the quickest.
The leanest and the meanest.
Important to a racer like you.
And you have to admit, the coolest name.
Ace? Aero? What do those mean anyway?
I dunno.
But they are all Shadows.
And Hondas.
You won't go wrong.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I love my shaft-driven 2007 Shadow Spirit. Got a great deal on it too! Pic is below...

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Check out: http://100megsfree4.com/honda and go to the 750 section. That should help somewhat (look at the ACE, Aero and Spirit). The website is pretty accurate, but not 100%

Be aware that the 750 spirit was just updated this year and now has shaft drive (used to be chain), a 21" front wheel (up from 19"), single carb, different rear fender, etc. It's much more similar to the Aero now mechanically. The old spirit was designated the vt750dc while the new shafty is vt750c2

My personal favorite is the older style spirit - they're incredibly modification friendly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone who responded. The resources and photos were a big help in identifying the model I'm trying to find. Looks like a 98-03 Shadow ACE VT750CD is what I'm looking for. I just missed this one on ebay a week ago (drat - it was right in my area and went for $3500!)

I can tell this will be a great forum to belong to - all the posts and answers I've read through a lot of different topics are intelligent, knowledgeable and friendly.

I'm still trying to convince the wife that riding again will be safe - no racing, just cruising with my friends and the occassional ride to work. She says she'll never get on it (Oh boy! Solo seat!), but her boss, who rides a full dress Harley and went to Sturgis last summer is tring to swing her to my side. I also tell her it's a lot cheaper and takes up less space than the '32 Ford Hiboy I wanted to build!!

And now the search begins!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.