Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone - I just started riding and after finishing the motorcycle safety course, rode home my first bike yesterday.

It's a 2011 Phantom and it's a blast. I'm still pretty nervous on it, but after a few rides I'm gaining confidence. The engine's probably a little bigger than I wanted for a first bike, but I'm a big guy and I don't think a smaller frame would have worked for me. My legs are already a little tight, but not uncomfortable. I'm going to ride it for a few weeks before deciding on getting some forward extensions. So far the weight and strong engine haven't been a problem, so I feel a little better about my selection than I thought I would.

I was having a little trouble with my foot getting stuck under the shifter after an up-shift, but I changed my hiking boots out for some new motorcycle boots and it's been fine since.

Also having a little trouble keeping track of which gear I'm in, which has bitten me on a down-shift once or twice as I have downshifted too far and then chirped the tire as I released the clutch.

Looking forward to getting some good advice here!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
welcome!

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
You're off to a great start, you posted a pic of your bike and I don't need one of these to see it.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
welcome fellow phantom lover hahaha - you coulda just moved the shifter a little but o well hahaha anyways nice choice in the picking of scooter..

now chop it up

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha - the shifter moves??? :)

Well it's OK - I already had the boots on order... My friend told me I'm trying to hard to get under the shifter when I only need to use the edge of my foot. But anyway, it's very comfortable now that I'm getting used to it. Unfortunately lots of rain today, so no practice...

·
Registered
60 Posts
My wife is having the same problem with her new phantom trying to keep count on which gear she is in...An indicator of some sort would be nice...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for those links. I think with practice I'll get better - it already seems that way. If I'm still having trouble keeping track in a few weeks I may try one of them out.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Belated Welcome SyracusePhantom, from Kingston, Ontario.....nice to have another Easterner on this forum! You've found a great form!

Ride often, ride safe!

Di

1 - 12 of 12 Posts