Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 4th owner of a 94 VT1100C. I have really just 2 questions for now.

1: What is typical gas mileage for this bike? I have aftermarket pipes and I am fairly sure also got a rejet. I am getting around 30-33 MPG, does that sound right?

2: I got a smoking deal on the bike because it has a ton of very minor body damage from various little things. The bike runs strong with no shaking at any speed I have found and she starts right up with no need of choke in summer and little in winter. So I would like to collect body parts and repaint but I am not sure what model years will fit. Is there a website out there with a detailed shadow history for model changes and what may be compatible?

Rgds
-T

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hey T...

First off...Welcome to the forum.

Now to answer your questions...or at least try to. :lol:

1) That mileage sounds a little low...but many things can affect the gas mileage. When was the last time the air filter was changed? Also, check your spark plugs. Also, how much are you opening it up? How hard you ride will have a great influence on your mileage...both speed and acceleration. You should get around 38-42 mpg out of the bike if you ride it conservatively.

2) Parts interchangability really depends on the part you are looking at. Most of the parts on the older VT1100s (known as the Spirit 1100 in later years) are the same as the newer Spirits. But, if the parts that are on your bike now can be repainted, that might be the cheaper way to go. I am not aware of anyplace that has a listing of interchangable parts. The best thing to do is find a newer Spirit and see if the owner will allow you to test fit parts to see if they will work.

Good luck on the rebuild and please post pictures as soon as you can so we can see your ride now...and when you get it done. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask away.

Joe

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ride it pretty aggressively and I live so close to work that this probably has a big affect. I take the back roads to avoid traffic and lights but it is still only around 5 miles and the bike is barley warm riding to and from work. I never really get up to freeway speeds except for a small 300 yard stint on one back road. I do run it out open throttle on a few hills and I do enjoy leaving the traffic lights too fast but could stop and go short aggressive driving explain losing nearly 10 MPG?

Also regarding the body damage. I could probably just repaint the front fender but the tank has 2 dents, 1 pretty long, and the rear fender was ruined by a previous owner. They took out the stock break light and put in 3 little cone lights pointing in different directions. They look pretty cool until you get close and realize he drilled 3 holes in the top of the fender to mount the lights.

Anyway thanks for any suggestions you may have about the mileage. Is there a way to tell if the bike was rejetted when the pipes were added?

G

·
0 Posts
T_Dawg said:
I do run it out open throttle on a few hills and I do enjoy leaving the traffic lights too fast but could stop and go short aggressive driving explain losing nearly 10 MPG?
Definately. You're fine. Your bike has likely been rejetted (it's a bit rich) and that is a good thing. You're in the ballpark. Enjoy your new ride :D

·
Registered
335 Posts
T_Dawg said:
I ride it pretty aggressively and I live so close to work that this probably has a big affect. I take the back roads to avoid traffic and lights but it is still only around 5 miles and the bike is barley warm riding to and from work. I never really get up to freeway speeds except for a small 300 yard stint on one back road.
If you never get it to full operating temperature remember there is probably condensation building up in your crankcase and pipes. In the pipes, this could lead to early rust, but in the crankcase it's diluting your oil. Run it for 10-20 minutes to really get it warmed up, at least once a week. Also, you may want to change your oil more frequently that recommended as it may be breaking down on you. MarkC is the resident oil genius, he could tell you a lot more about what you're doing to your engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts