Honda Shadow Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just recently purchased a 1999 honda shadow 600 with 10000 miles on it. I am trying to get all the maintenance done as the PO did not have any records of maintenance. I just had a few questions about the oil to use. I have read "Oilology" , but still have a few questions:
1. I am going to stick with the Honda GN4, but I am still up in the air as to whether I should use 10w30 or 10w40. I live in the Chicago area and do not plan on riding the bike in temps lower than 55 degrees. Should I just stick to 10w40?
2. Where is the best place to buy Honda Oil, filter, sealing washer, and spark plugs? Is it better to buy separately or buy a "kit" such as Oil Change Kit ?

Thank you

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,433 Posts
There are so many opinions about oil. Just get one made for wet clutches. The GN4 would be a good choice. Here is from a maintenance manual=

Attachments

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Yup. Oil is a controversial subject: Wars have been fought over it, kingdoms lost, lives ruined.

So I'll tell you what I used for my 2005 VLX and you can then add that info to the resulting confusion. It's just what worked for me. I'm not sure if your model year would make a different for my recommendations.

Oil: Shell Rotella T6 full synth.

Filter: Purolator Pure 1...If they still make them anymore. Best advice: Don't use FRAM. Just...don't.
I had trouble getting the oil filter on and off so I bought a dedicated Honda oil filer wrench from my dealer. It was worth the price in convenience.

Crush/sealing washer: I just get a pack of generic ones from Cycle Gear. Mine used a 14mm.

Air filters: Also from the dealer. I never found a much better price online anyway.

If you're not sure the first time of plugs or anything else for that matter, check with your dealership.

Now remember, this was a few years back. I sold my VLX a couple of years ago with 71494 miles on it using the stuff above. The bike was old and was showing it's age, but I never had a problem related to the oil or filters I used.

·
Registered
16,554 Posts
I use GN4 also, BUT I go to NAPA for my "Pro-select" Oil filter and what with 165000 miles coming up I`ll change on my regular 5,000 interval...
GN4 from HONDA is cheaper than I can buy any other oil for my Baby,
Dennis

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Hello, just recently purchased a 1999 honda shadow 600 with 10000 miles on it. I am trying to get all the maintenance done as the PO did not have any records of maintenance. I just had a few questions about the oil to use. I have read "Oilology" , but still have a few questions:
1. I am going to stick with the Honda GN4, but I am still up in the air as to whether I should use 10w30 or 10w40. I live in the Chicago area and do not plan on riding the bike in temps lower than 55 degrees. Should I just stick to 10w40?
2. Where is the best place to buy Honda Oil, filter, sealing washer, and spark plugs? Is it better to buy separately or buy a "kit" such as Oil Change Kit ?

Thank you
You asked two questions, so I'll answer them instead of trying to get you to switch brands.

1) Yes, sticking with the 10-40 would be perfectly fine for your bike.

2) Amazon is a great place to get the oil. Keep an eye out for the sellers who offer it by the case (12 quarts). It's a lot cheaper to buy it that way, and it's free shipping.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,337 Posts
Chicago area you must have lots of Honda dealerships so call and ask the cost of the oil/filter and drain crush washer so you can decide which is less expensive. On-line is really convenient if delivered to your house but inconvenient if you're not home and you have to go get it.
10W40 is recommended for your bike.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,447 Posts
Valvoline 4T 10w-40 and a Bosch 3300 short filter or 3323 long filter. I believe I got the oil from Meijer @ $4.70 a qt. Filter came from Menards @ $5 ea. I've used the longer filter on all my Honda's but on a VT600 don't know about the clearance.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,337 Posts
For now, buy the kit just to get the oil filter wrench (red x)….

Except the "kit" you quote that the OP mentioned does not include the wrench and the part number you include is just the wrench. Where are you seeing the oil, filter, drainplug and wrench?

G.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,433 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Makes sense to me to get a gallon for $28.00 and buy a $5.00 filter. Extra oil is good.

That's really not a very good price brother. I get it for less than that at Honda. Why the heck doesn't there seem to be any price savings when buying gallon vice quart? I've actually found it cheaper on occasion to get my bike oils per quart than it can be bought in a gallon jug. Easier to pour too. Can't figure it out.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Except the "kit" you quote that the OP mentioned does not include the wrench and the part number you include is just the wrench.

Where are you seeing the oil, filter, drainplug and wrench

Item 1 on the oem parts page quotes the oil filter and wretch as a 'set'. They're sold together as a unit. For that price, they're not gonna include a spare drain plug washer and a barrel of oil. Or, fries for that matter. Since the oil filter is hard to reach on a 600, I highly recommend getting a filter wrench that's guaranteed to fit. He can include brake pads, etc, in the same order to reduce the shipping cost per item.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Guys! That was the info I was looking for. I checked with babbitts online and their prices were very good, except for the shipping, which you really cannot avoid. So I will wait until this weekend and call around to different bike shops to see if any near me have the parts I need. Thanks again, it is greatly appreciated!....
Oh yeah, that filter wrench I think I may already have, had a bunch of quads and a street bike or two and I believe I still have it in my tool chest...

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,337 Posts
Item 1 on the oem parts page quotes the oil filter and wretch as a 'set'. They're sold together as a unit. For that price, they're not gonna include a spare drain plug washer and a barrel of oil.
Well I guess that was the confusing part because what Rider1 was asking about was " Honda Oil, filter, sealing washer" so I couldn't figure out why, when I googled 15010-MCE-H5 I was getting filters and/or wrenches rather than what was wanted. Seems expensive to buy a wrench every time you buy a filter unless fries are included.

G.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I buy stuff from Walmart but I don't want to get an oil and filter war going. I don't use synthetic, I think regular old oil and filter changed more frequently will serve you better than a longer oil change period with synthetic and some expensive filter.

Just the way I do it and I have my reasons.

·
Registered
118 Posts
change it yearly unless you,re doing 30,000 or more ...... if you are like most folks yearly is more than enough ,...as such the the oil, std type and filter, std type will make almost no difference... good luck ride careful have fun.

no syth.

·
Registered
1983 vt750c
93 Posts
IMO use Royal Purple oil and K&N oil filter. Full synthetic always never use conv oil. You wont need a sealing washer just torque it down to spec and ensure the threads are clean and not chipped. buy from amazon most of the parts are always cheaper or at least same price but with free shipping and easier to find. I'd also recommend using Hot Shots Secrete Diesel oil additive, no its not just for diesels and works incredibly, I'm not sure if they have a gas additive as this is something id recommend as well but i use Techron Concentrate plus fuel system cleaner i went with this one cause its meant for carbs and cleans very well.

·
Registered
1983 vt750c
93 Posts
also riding in under 55 like around 30 to 40 deg is really nice just make sure you have the right gear for it. your bike might have spark plugs meant for under 40 deg weather like my bike does but make sure you take them out after the winter season. a bike winterized and stored is a sad thing don't get into that habit

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.