Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that it's getting hotter, I've seen a few posts about the cooling system. I took notice, and decided to pay a little closer attention to my fan. I started thinking about it, and I cannot remember ever actually seeing it run... I haven't had any issues with overheating, and never got the temp light to go off, but I've also never noticed the radiator fan running. It could be that I haven't really paid attention to it, but I let the bike sit and idle for a good 10 minutes or so this weekend in my drive way (much to the annoyance of my neighbors) and never saw or heard it kick on. Is this normal? I'm used to automobile cooling systems so please pardon my ignorance.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
It will probably only come on when you are idling after it's been running for a while. You test it by taking the wire off the sensor on the back of the radiator and grounding the wire with the key switch on the fan should run.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent! Thank you. I'll test it out just to make sure I don't end up stranded somewhere... I was surprised though that I never noticed it before, it must be a really quiet fan. I know the electric fan in my old Cherokee would go off like a 747 taxiing to the runway. All my other radiator fans are engine driven so they're 100% on all the time.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
I never hear mine running. The only time I notice it is if I feel the heat coming from the radiator blowing on my legs because of the fan.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Excellent! Thank you. I'll test it out just to make sure I don't end up stranded somewhere... I was surprised though that I never noticed it before, it must be a really quiet fan. I know the electric fan in my old Cherokee would go off like a 747 taxiing to the runway. All my other radiator fans are engine driven so they're 100% on all the time.

The fan motor might work fine and still not come on if it doesn't pick up the signal from the thermosensor switch. To test that, you must remove it and check it interdependently of the fan.

I'm doing this very thing on one of my bikes as we speak.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have never noticed mine going on either, but it must be working because a couple years ago I was low on coolant and my temp light kept kicking on when I'd come to a stop. When I topped it off it stopped happening, so the fan must be working properly when I'm stopped and I just don't notice it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts