Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
N/W riders, unite!

As I mentioned in the local N/W forum, we usually get a couple really nice weeks around here in February. Now that I have a new battery and my bike starts every time, I'm itchin to be out on it.

So my wife knows that my bike and I are on "hot standby", ready to head out the door on the first nice Saturday or Sunday this month. :)

This is the route I'm going to take when that day comes; for me it'll be a 5 or 6 hour day, which I'm stoked about! As may twisty, unknown back roads as possible will be traveled. :) I'm hoping some guys I know with bikes that aren't members here will join me, and of course I hope the other N/W guys on here can join!

There's (what I've heard to be) a really cool little eatery at the end of the route, in ZigZag, Oregon (yep) where we can stop and eat / chat. We can fill up in Sandy, OR either on the way past or on the way back.

Should be a fun time, and even if I'm the only person that goes, I'm going. :)

Woo Hoo!!

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bd*; too soggy this weekend to head out so we're back on stand-by for now. Maybe next weekend!

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like tomorrow (the 16th) is the day! I have the day off work, my daughter has the day off school, wife has to work, so...we're going!

Planning to head out between 11 and noon. Trying to gather some local guys that I know, but it may just be a daddy/daughter date. I'm ok with that. :)

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bobbity, the 'taters go in the exhaust pipes; maybe that's yer issue? :)

Well, First February Ride is in the books!

Me, my 9 year old daughter, and my friend Mike (08 Electra Glide) put about 150 miles on the bikes. Clear as a bell weather, with more and more glorious views of Mt. Hood the closer we got. Breath-taking!

Unfortunately, it was cold when we started, and got colder as we climbed toward the mountain. And the wind was blowing maybe as bad as I've ever ridden in...and I've ridden a lot! With no proper clothing for these conditions, my daughter and I were frozen solid by the time we got to Sandy; so instead of taking the turn to Marmot Dr. (I missed it anyway), we just decided to slab it the last 17 or so miles to the Zig Zag inn.

Hoping desperately to eat by a roaring fire and warm up, when we got there I asked for a fireplace seat. The lady said "Well, I can seat you by the fireplace but I can't light it; it's too warm today!" ?? So, we ate, shivering, and when we got done we went out side to find it was warmer than it was inside!!

Decided to just slab it home from there as I didn't have much of my "dollar" left to concentrate on twisty back roads. My daughter road about 3/4 of the way back on Mike's bike, and was much warmer. :)

I think next year I may call it "First February Polar Bear Run"!! (Or maybe I'll just get me and the girls some warm riding clothes. Of course, then I'd have nothing to complain about...)

But you know what? None of the above "bad" stuff matters. It was a *GLORIOUS* ride and experience; if I had to do it over again and could only do it the exact same way, I'd do it in a heart-beat. :)

Hmmm...this weekend is shaping up to be another nice weekend... :-D

· Registered
115 Posts
I think next year I may call it "First February Polar Bear Run"!!
Glad you could get out for a ride with you daughter. We've done some colder rides here which we have called "Penguin Rides". We have some Penguin stickers people can stick on their helmet or bike if they have attended one.

As you mentioned, you might want to invest in some clothing for riding in colder temps.

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.