Honda Shadow Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I mad a comment on the actions of a MC rider and was accused of "not knowing what I was talking about" because I'm not a "real" biker.

What does that mean?

What makes a "biker"? What makes a "biker" better than anyone else?

What's with the "biker" attitude?

As it pertains to this conversation, my mere Honda VTX 1300 didn't qualify as 'biker" bike. Whatever.
I don't wear leathers. I don't have a jacket or patches. I don't and never have belonged to a "club".
I wear a full face helmet and have since 1984. The longest I went without riding is 4 years.
I do have a couple hundred thousand miles in the seat on at least 10 different bikes over my 40 years of riding.

Why do some "bikers" have so much hate for others?

·
Registered
13 Posts
My only experiences with "real bikers" have been the kind you described.

As one of many examples, I was on I40 on a road trip to CA once and misjudged the distance between towns compared with my tank capacity. The head winds were incredibly high. I ran out of gas. As I pushed the bike along the highway, three gangs of "real bikers" passed me by and didn't even slow down. A passerby in a car stopped, took me 10 miles to the next station, waited for me to buy gas and then took me back to where we'd left the bike, waited for me to get it running, and then went on their way.

That "cager" took about an hour out of their day to help a stranger.

I've never received help from a "real biker."

So, in my opinion and experience, perhaps it's not too bad to wear that "not a real biker" label as a badge to be proud of.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
What a REAL biker is, is someone who won't ride past a rider in need. A REAL biker doesn't care what you ride, as long as your in the wind.So, if anybody tells you that you don't have a "biker's bike"? They're not a real biker.
For the OP,,,^^^This is the answer to your question^^^

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The better question is why do you care? Just ride your ride and do your thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
long time no hear from Brother........

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My only experiences with "real bikers" have been the kind you described.

As one of many examples, I was on I40 on a road trip to CA once and misjudged the distance between towns compared with my tank capacity. The head winds were incredibly high. I ran out of gas. As I pushed the bike along the highway, three gangs of "real bikers" passed me by and didn't even slow down. A passerby in a car stopped, took me 10 miles to the next station, waited for me to buy gas and then took me back to where we'd left the bike, waited for me to get it running, and then went on their way.

That "cager" took about an hour out of their day to help a stranger.

I've never received help from a "real biker."

So, in my opinion and experience, perhaps it's not too bad to wear that "not a real biker" label as a badge to be proud of.
Good point.

Many years ago, back in the glorious 80's, I was riding my Suzuki 550 triple with my girlfriend on the back.
That thing spun so fast that it destroyed alternators left and right. (the reason I got rid of the bike is I couldn't afford alternators).
Another guy, with his wife on the back, stopped to see what was wrong. Simply put, I ran out of battery in the forest hills. He was riding there for the same reason, just to get out of town.
Well, he happened to have simple bike jumpers in his kit and he sat there for a half hour with his bike charging mine.
He suggested I follow him to his house as it was halfway to mine and then I could get a better charge. We stopped at his place and BS'd for an hour while his charger got me to a full charge. We probably would have hung out later but I wanted to beat the sunset. I figured, worst case, in the daylight I could kill the headlight if I was running low on juice.

Bottom line is, this guy was on a full out Goldwing and he stopped to help a guy on a ratty old Suzuki.

A Harley "biker" probably would have kept riding past.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Real biker? I have experience from dirt bikes to endoro, now dual sports. Some fast sport bikes and in my old age I have headed towards cruisers.

A real biker can get on any motorcycle and ride it how it was meant to ride. Not to it's fullest but 75% which is good for any random bike.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750
562 Posts
I purchased a trike this spring so I am no longer considered a real biker either.

Attachments

Reactions: kesanders

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,731 Posts
"You need to be cool, not intelligence". Perfect ! 🤣

Reactions: kesanders
1 - 20 of 122 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.