Honda Shadow Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
765 Posts
So ‘real bikers’ all have obnoxiously loud stereo speakers? LOL! 🤦‍♂️
I confirm, this is a thing I've witnessed, and in some cases it isn't even the kind of sound that many of us would consider to be "music".

Imagine, .... a bike idling at the traffic light, while the "real biker" astride revs the piss out of his engine, ... and clearly audible over this, the sound of somebody alternately bragging and cursing to a beat. Every 10th word is discernable, and if your granny heard you say any of them, ... you'd be tasting soap.

· Registered
765 Posts
Once Honda won their lawsuit against HD, they just became out and out copies.
I don't think there ever was a lawsuit of Harley against Honda, nor Honda against Harley. This myth has been so often repeated that it is taken as truth.

What happened was that in 1994, Harley filed to trademark the SOUND of a 45 degree V-Twin. Did You Know Harley-Davidson Tried To Trademark Their Exhaust Sound? (imotorbike.my) This is not a lawsuit against a particular opponent, but blocks any and all competitors from utilizing trademarked features.

Honda was only ONE of the NINE companies that filed opposition to the recognition of that trademark. Harley's trademark attempt failed. Many entities had produced V-twin engines for over 100 years prior to HD's attempt, and Harley wasn't even the first. One of the first was in 1889 by Daimler. V-twin engine - Wikipedia

Another myth is that Honda stopped making single crankpin V-twins after this. They didn't. For example, the VLX was a single crank design throughout its production, up until it was withdrawn in 2007, and there are other examples.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.