Honda Shadow Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I mad a comment on the actions of a MC rider and was accused of "not knowing what I was talking about" because I'm not a "real" biker.

What does that mean?

What makes a "biker"? What makes a "biker" better than anyone else?

What's with the "biker" attitude?

As it pertains to this conversation, my mere Honda VTX 1300 didn't qualify as 'biker" bike. Whatever.
I don't wear leathers. I don't have a jacket or patches. I don't and never have belonged to a "club".
I wear a full face helmet and have since 1984. The longest I went without riding is 4 years.
I do have a couple hundred thousand miles in the seat on at least 10 different bikes over my 40 years of riding.

Why do some "bikers" have so much hate for others?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My only experiences with "real bikers" have been the kind you described.

As one of many examples, I was on I40 on a road trip to CA once and misjudged the distance between towns compared with my tank capacity. The head winds were incredibly high. I ran out of gas. As I pushed the bike along the highway, three gangs of "real bikers" passed me by and didn't even slow down. A passerby in a car stopped, took me 10 miles to the next station, waited for me to buy gas and then took me back to where we'd left the bike, waited for me to get it running, and then went on their way.

That "cager" took about an hour out of their day to help a stranger.

I've never received help from a "real biker."

So, in my opinion and experience, perhaps it's not too bad to wear that "not a real biker" label as a badge to be proud of.
Good point.

Many years ago, back in the glorious 80's, I was riding my Suzuki 550 triple with my girlfriend on the back.
That thing spun so fast that it destroyed alternators left and right. (the reason I got rid of the bike is I couldn't afford alternators).
Another guy, with his wife on the back, stopped to see what was wrong. Simply put, I ran out of battery in the forest hills. He was riding there for the same reason, just to get out of town.
Well, he happened to have simple bike jumpers in his kit and he sat there for a half hour with his bike charging mine.
He suggested I follow him to his house as it was halfway to mine and then I could get a better charge. We stopped at his place and BS'd for an hour while his charger got me to a full charge. We probably would have hung out later but I wanted to beat the sunset. I figured, worst case, in the daylight I could kill the headlight if I was running low on juice.

Bottom line is, this guy was on a full out Goldwing and he stopped to help a guy on a ratty old Suzuki.

A Harley "biker" probably would have kept riding past.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
If I may ask?... What comment did you make while you were mad that set off the other mc rider?

John
First off, I wasn't mad.
Second, I made a comment that "that guy makes bikers look bad" and was overheard by other "bikers".
What was the guy doing? Flexing his bike muscles when someone dared to ask him to turn his MC speakers down.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Regarding "loud" anything.

I'm a decent human being that doesn't like allowing my enjoyment to cause misery to others.
When I bought my VTX, it had straight pipes and was loud as F***. One of the first things I did was search for a set of stock pipes. It now has stock pipes. I don't feel the least bit guilty now when I fire up my bike.
When I lost the muffler on my Ranchero, many many years ago, it sounded so badass that my friends were in awe. But I would enter neighborhoods with barely more than an idle.

I have neighbors that added Hellcat exhaust to their cars and they fire them up at 2AM to go to work. Rev the engine a few times, just to make their hardon stronger. Then they lay rubber from their driveway to the first turn. Yeah, baby. They're real men!

There's no reason to inflict misery on others for my own enjoyment.

Before anyone says "freedom" this or that, the word has been *******ized to something it isn't. Everyone is free to do whatever they want, whenever they want, as long as it doesn't interfere with the freedom or etc of anyone else.

Re: lout pipes or music or whatever. I see it as nothing more than little man syndrome. An overcompensation of an inferiority complex. Doesn't matter if it's a loud Harley with 18" ape hangers or a jacked up 4X4 or a loud Hummer. It's all the same.

JMHO

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Some of these responses make me laugh.

Why?

For the same reason I laugh when a stupid person thinks they're smart.

My mother rode a motorcycle. She rode on the street and she rode on the dirt. She had a MAJOR wreck in the Mojave on the edge of the Salton Sea.
She never looked like the "biker" chicks above.
But she also didn't stop riding because of that wreck. Truth be told, I don't know why she stopped riding but the last bike she had was the first one I wrecked on the street. She never found out I wrecked it either. I had to take parts from my Honda to fix her Yamaha. That was when I was 15.

I've NEVER worn leathers but I did have a denim phase.

Now, most of the time I ride wearing Shorts and a Tee shirt in the Summer and I wear Frog Togs over long pants when it's cold and a jacket that has 20,000 road miles on it. Best $20 jacket I ever bought. People ask what material it is because there's no material out there that is like it. Why? Because the wind has created a soft suede-like feel on a cotton fabric. It's like it was brushed a zillion times with a toothbrush to create a micro pile carpet.

If anyone wants to think they're more of a "biker" than I am, let them. I don't care. Fact is they NEED that moniker. I don't.

If I ever wanted to put resume to resume, I've ridden from minibike, to dirt bike, to three-wheeler (where I have my annoying lifetime injury), regular 70's bike, superbike, crotch rocket, cruiser, etc.
FWIW, I've also piloted boats and an airplane (just one so far) and operated heavy machinery that most young kids dream of operating and die never having had the chance.

Am I bragging? Maybe a tad but it's not to make anyone feel bad.

The "real bikers" can have whatever they need to feel better about themselves. I don't need a group of "brothers" to validate me. I don't need to smoke, drink, do drugs, and piss on others to feel like a man.

I'm not a "real biker". Why? Because I don't think riding a motorcycle makes anyone more special than anyone else.

Well, unless I'm riding my bike to work when it's 15 degrees outside and some Millennial dipshit thinks he's more of a man than I am just because he grew a beard. BTW, his name is "Callie". Who the frack names a male "Callie"? LMAO

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
This is where people’s minds are too closed to notice the ‘grey area’ between reality and fantasy. But it’s all in definition. I’ve seen people snub a poor guy who could barely speak coherently, much less type. Yet I pointed out to the that, throw that guy in front of a bunch of random parts with mechanics tools, he’d have a motorcycle hand-built inside of a few hours. So, what’s your definition?

@Theja1 reminds me of an idiot that commented on an article that an 11 year old flying his father’s plane wasn’t a pilot. Well, no, because you can’t legally get your license until you’re 16. But he can do everything a licensed pilot can, and better than most. And qualified instructors call him one. That didn’t matter to this guy, probably because he couldn’t stand being classified in the same category as a child. Which crosses the line into Reality-denying snobbish Elitery. A ‘biker‘, to me, is someone that rides a motorcycle, though you could narrow the definition to a certain type of motorcycles and probably not tread on anyone’s toes. The ‘Diamond 1%’ are just ‘hardcore extreme enthusiasts’. That’s not a standard, that’s the upper-end. And you’ll find that most other disciplines don’t snobbishly deny what you are merely because you don’t “Live The Life’… I’ve jumped out of an airplane 14 times. But when I talk to someone that lives at the DZ with 10k jumps, they still call me a ‘Skydiver’.

@Inferno… Why did she give up riding? She found out that you wrecked your bike. She just never told you. My father refused to give or even sell me, or my brothers, his Shadow, because he was scared we’d kill ourselves in a wreck. Then he saw how I could effortlessly navigate Los Angeles area traffic with something the size of a Suburban, with an emergency maneuver thrown in, and told me he didn’t worry about me any longer. Parents are like that.

And, scooters included (though I expect them not to wave back because ‘nerves’ 😉), I wave to everyone on two wheels.
I don't know exactly why my mom stopped riding. Given the circumstances going on at the time, I imagine it was a life change.
Unfortunately, my mom was one who always wanted the life she didn't deserve. When I say it that way, it sounds judgmental but it's more of a "she didn't work for the life she wanted".
My mom never found out I wrecked her bike. She didn't find out about the second street bike I wrecked either. Both were life lessons.
1) DO NOT turn the front wheel while front braking
2) DO NOT ride blindly over a blind hill at high speeds. Short story, over the hill was an unimproved road with foot-deep potholes. I was barefoot wearing shorts and a T-shirt and no helmet. It was a test ride. I failed.

She had moved many states away when I had my 3rd major wreck. Lesson learned, don't trust turn signals or movements of vehicles using said turn signals. The driver signaled left, moved to the center of the road. I went to go around him and he turned right. Broke my foot on that one. 19th birthday with a first date later that night. What a day that one was.

Anyhow, back to why my mom stopped riding. It was actually at the same time she, pretty much, stopped working on her own car. I was 15 and she asked me to change the motor mount on her Chevy Vega. She had rebuilt and changed the engine herself 6 months earlier so it's not like she didn't know how.
Changing that motor mount was a very uncomfortable task. We didn't have the proper tools. Not even a floor jack. I parked the right two wheels on the curb and climbed into the gutter to work on it. It had snowed a little the night before and the snow was melting so ice water, and occasional ice, would run along my body while I worked.
I used a scissor jack against the wheel well to tip the engine enough to get the mount out but it was barely holding.

That's the memory that best sets the timeframe where my mom stopped riding. She traded her bike, a few months later, for a small sports car. She drove the car twice. For all intents and purposes, it was my car. I was the one that worked on it most of the time though my mom did do a few really cool repairs.
Two years later the car became mine officially.

A side note. 3 years later she was rearended in that same Chevy Vega, going into a tunnel. The car burst into flames and that was the end of it. She and her passenger survived with minimal injuries.

Font Number Screenshot Circle Document

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I also had a Suzuki 550 back in the early 80's. You say triple. I had forgotten that it was a 3 cylinder engine, but I think it was. Mine was 2 cycle as well. You didn't have to mix the fuel, but it had a separate oil reserve where you had to keep filled. I don't remember a problem with alternators, but it was fairly new and I only owned it a couple of years.

I had some real experiences on with that bike. One was riding down to the mountains in Tennessee. A friend and I left after work on a Friday. It got foggy after dark, and you couldn't see very far ahead at all. Our visors would fog up. All we could do was to try to keep up with the tail lights of the trucks that were going 80mph. You couldn't see where you were going other than that. Good times...
Yup, sounds like the same bike. It had the 2-cycle oil injector. Had to remember to keep it filled. I learned the hard way. I was 25 miles from home and the engine locked up. I managed to coax it in spurts to get to a place to buy some ATF. My dad used ATF in his Hodaka back in the day.

The thing about the triple was that it had a weird power band. Something like a dog til you got to 3500 RPM and then it was like getting kicked in the butt to 9000 RPM. I never found the top end. After riding a CB450 for a year, that 550 triple was scary. I actually tossed someone off the back more than a couple times. You can only tell someone to hold on too many times before they need to learn the hard way.

It was a fast bike but just not reliable.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I don’t think John said he hates the 1% Diamonds, Squid… It’s probably the attitude he gets back that bugs him. There’s always some, but I’ve never really understood ‘cliques’ at all, myself. Think they’re silly. Like the air-cooled Porsche crowd telling newer owners they don’t drive ‘real’ Porsches...

Like you mention the Shadow as being the ‘Dodge Van’ of bikes. Inaccurate, because Hondas are reliable! 😉 I do admit that my early model is the one I like best. Just a fan of all of the ‘early to mid-80s’ bikes, in how they looked. Once Honda won their lawsuit against HD, they just became out and out copies. But I’m also not a fan of the big HD cruisers, either, with the oversized fenders and enough chrome to be seen from orbit. I wouldn’t mind many of their newer bikes, though… and don’t get me started on the Night Rod! Drool 😄

But it shouldn’t matter. If you ride, you ride… Hell, with today’s homicidal, idiot drivers, my hat goes off to anyone that braves the roads on two wheels!
THIS is one of my HUGE pet peeves in life.

TEAMS

It's a carryover of the bullsquirt they teach you in high school. Team rivalry.

Ford v Chevy
Republican v Democrat
My team v Your team.

The main reason I don't belong to ANY club or clique or team is the insane belief that the other guy is inferior simply because he's not on my team.
It's cult mentality. If you don't believe what I believe, you're inferior.

It's pretty stupid, really.

And, well, if you believe the other guy is inferior, simply because he has a different opinion, or team, then yeah, I guess I'm calling you stupid.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
And this is my pet peeve. People that think you can have more than one. It’s your pet peeve because it’s the biggest peeve you have. You can only have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If a person can have 4 pet cats, 3 pet dogs, a couple of pet birds, they can have more than one pet peeve.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
People can have peeves, but their biggest peeve is their pet peeve. “My biggest pet peeve” is an oxymoron.

From Oxford Language

pet peeve

noun
INFORMAL

1. something that a particular person finds especially annoying.
    "one of my biggest pet peeves is poor customer service"
My grammar is amazing, or at least she was before she passed away.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Is like to see the study that proves that. I know lots of people with pit bulls and I can’t think of one that is insecure.

The human psyche is interesting.
Although I don't think there have been "studies" regarding pit bulls and owners, there have been plenty of findings that "tough" people often are only perceived as being "tough" because they have, for lack of a better word, weapons.
There are many studies that show that "toughness" is overcompensation for insecurity. Think of bullies, for example. Too often it's been shown that bullies are overcompensating for some sort of weakness in their life.
Yes, there are those cases of pure psychopathic sadists who enjoy hurting others/things but that's not usually the case. Even psychopaths often are overcompensating for some feeling they were victimized.

I know a lot of tough guys. I also know a lot of their deep secrets they don't want anyone to know which is the whole point of that false wall.
Fear is an interesting emotion. The way it manifests itself into a weird machismo can be fascinating.

Which is also an interesting part of the entire team mentality. Take away the "team" and the tough guys seems so much less tough. Again, look at bullies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.