Honda Shadow Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
3,433 Posts
Always liked watching SnowCat on YouTube making fun of the term, after a Harley-Rider tried that after being called out for stupidity. “Why don’t I ride a Reeeeaaalll Baaahhhhhkkkk-uh?” 😄

·
Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
3,433 Posts
I guess I don’t get it. I’ve never heard a bike too loud, or a stereo too loud. Maybe people living up north are more sensitive.
It’s more when you’re trying to relax and get some quiet time at home, and this happens right next door. As I told a guy on YouTube over ‘almost running down a Karen’, if you do it every so often… Fine. But that little bit of consideration means you don’t do it ALL of the time.

We were sitting in a little restaurant on Maui when a Harley rider (probably a rental) went by, revving his engine. Now, this is on a little front street in a town, with buildings on both sides. So it made a nice, tight, little canyon. The bike sounded great, but, revved up like that, the reverb effect amplified the sound in the restaurant by about 3x. The air pressure was painful. After his second time around, I swore that I would go ‘have a word’… But he didn’t make a third pass.

·
Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
3,433 Posts
Like I said earlier, must be a Northern thing...
There is probably a reason none of you have “confronted” a real biker. Everyone is a tough guy, until they meet one.
Probably what the Confederates thought as well, until they lost. For all that you go on, you said one thing I’ll agree with.

You really don’t get it. 😉

·
Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
3,433 Posts
Sounds like someone who can call himself anything he wants and it's nobody's business to say otherwise.
This is where people’s minds are too closed to notice the ‘grey area’ between reality and fantasy. But it’s all in definition. I’ve seen people snub a poor guy who could barely speak coherently, much less type. Yet I pointed out to the that, throw that guy in front of a bunch of random parts with mechanics tools, he’d have a motorcycle hand-built inside of a few hours. So, what’s your definition?

@Theja1 reminds me of an idiot that commented on an article that an 11 year old flying his father’s plane wasn’t a pilot. Well, no, because you can’t legally get your license until you’re 16. But he can do everything a licensed pilot can, and better than most. And qualified instructors call him one. That didn’t matter to this guy, probably because he couldn’t stand being classified in the same category as a child. Which crosses the line into Reality-denying snobbish Elitery. A ‘biker‘, to me, is someone that rides a motorcycle, though you could narrow the definition to a certain type of motorcycles and probably not tread on anyone’s toes. The ‘Diamond 1%’ are just ‘hardcore extreme enthusiasts’. That’s not a standard, that’s the upper-end. And you’ll find that most other disciplines don’t snobbishly deny what you are merely because you don’t “Live The Life’… I’ve jumped out of an airplane 14 times. But when I talk to someone that lives at the DZ with 10k jumps, they still call me a ‘Skydiver’.

@Inferno… Why did she give up riding? She found out that you wrecked your bike. She just never told you. My father refused to give or even sell me, or my brothers, his Shadow, because he was scared we’d kill ourselves in a wreck. Then he saw how I could effortlessly navigate Los Angeles area traffic with something the size of a Suburban, with an emergency maneuver thrown in, and told me he didn’t worry about me any longer. Parents are like that.

And, scooters included (though I expect them not to wave back because ‘nerves’ 😉), I wave to everyone on two wheels.

·
Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
3,433 Posts
I’ll be your huckleberry.
LOL! Intense comparison NOT intended. THAT guy was a World-Class idiot. Just totally off in his own little World. We may not be able to back you off from your opinion, but at least you’ll listen. Even if it meant crushing the soul of an aspiring child, he was having none of it… 😉

@squidchief … Yeah, can’t say I‘m jealous of pro-players, either. I had my chance, and just elected not to beat myself up pursuing a height I might never reach. Love watching them, though!

·
Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
3,433 Posts
I don’t think John said he hates the 1% Diamonds, Squid… It’s probably the attitude he gets back that bugs him. There’s always some, but I’ve never really understood ‘cliques’ at all, myself. Think they’re silly. Like the air-cooled Porsche crowd telling newer owners they don’t drive ‘real’ Porsches...

Like you mention the Shadow as being the ‘Dodge Van’ of bikes. Inaccurate, because Hondas are reliable! 😉 I do admit that my early model is the one I like best. Just a fan of all of the ‘early to mid-80s’ bikes, in how they looked. Once Honda won their lawsuit against HD, they just became out and out copies. But I’m also not a fan of the big HD cruisers, either, with the oversized fenders and enough chrome to be seen from orbit. I wouldn’t mind many of their newer bikes, though… and don’t get me started on the Night Rod! Drool 😄

But it shouldn’t matter. If you ride, you ride… Hell, with today’s homicidal, idiot drivers, my hat goes off to anyone that braves the roads on two wheels!

·
Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
3,433 Posts
I don't think there ever was a lawsuit of Harley against Honda, nor Honda against Harley. This myth has been so often repeated that it is taken as truth.
Most probable. No Internet back then, and I can’t remember the particulars. I remember knowing about the 750cc tariff on it’s own, and I remember hearing about the ‘sound’ patent. But it was probably the late ‘80s or early ‘90s that someone mentioned something about, “Once HD lost their lawsuit, they all started looking EXACTLY like Harleys!” Which stuck with me. Funny thing is, I always thought of those early Metric cruisers as their own thing… until I recently saw a picture of a ‘70s HD Sportster… 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
3,433 Posts
I’ve played on a team, and probably will again. But I’ve never subscribed to the idea of hating or degrading those not on your team. In fact, I’ve even helped my opponents, sometimes to my detriment, towards the improvement of both parties. It’s just too bad so few think like that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.