Honda Shadow Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
If I may ask?... What comment did you make while you were mad that set off the other mc rider?

John
First off, I wasn't mad.
Second, I made a comment that "that guy makes bikers look bad" and was overheard by other "bikers".
What was the guy doing? Flexing his bike muscles when someone dared to ask him to turn his MC speakers down.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
So this is over loud music or pipes? Wow. I’m guessing this is a northern state issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Coop and squidchief

·
Registered
392 Posts
So ‘real bikers’ all have obnoxiously loud stereo speakers? LOL! 🤦‍♂️
I confirm, this is a thing I've witnessed, and in some cases it isn't even the kind of sound that many of us would consider to be "music".

Imagine, .... a bike idling at the traffic light, while the "real biker" astride revs the piss out of his engine, ... and clearly audible over this, the sound of somebody alternately bragging and cursing to a beat. Every 10th word is discernable, and if your granny heard you say any of them, ... you'd be tasting soap.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I made a comment that "that guy makes bikers look bad" and was overheard by other "bikers".
Inferno,

A serious question: What is your definition of a 'biker' ???

I have been involved in much more serious confrontations than you speak of, and that is why I ask, what is your definition.

I have never considered myself to be anything other than a motorcycle riding enthusiast. The situations I have been involved in, I never say a word, I just saddle up and ride on down the road.

And live another day to post on the HSN. Nuff said !!!

Don't carry your feelings like a chip on your shoulder. Brush that **** off and ride on ;) (that is the winky eye emoticon).

John

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,053 Posts
Back in the 1960's or so there was an interview of a "real biker" by a news reporter.
She asked him what he liked so much about being a biker and in a gang and that type of life.
He said "getting drunk and falling in the dirt".

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Back in the 1960's or so there was an interview of a "real biker" by a news reporter.
She asked him what he liked so much about being a biker and in a gang and that type of life.
He said "getting drunk and falling in the dirt".
I’m 1 for 2 then. I love getting drunk…but I’m a professional, so I don’t fall down.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
I guess I don’t get it. I’ve never heard a bike too loud, or a stereo too loud. Maybe people living up north are more sensitive.

I’ve only had had compliments on my two bikes. My Vic has a loud stereo and my Harley has loud pipes.

Reactions: Coop

·
Registered
926 Posts
I guess I don’t get it. I’ve never heard a bike too loud, or a stereo too loud. Maybe people living up north are more sensitive.

I’ve only had had compliments on my two bikes. My Vic has a loud stereo and my Harley has loud pipes.

I have heard bikes that were too loud. Senseless loud and they didn't sound good on top of that. That goes for any kind of bike. I love to hear sport bikes screaming as they head over 10, 12,000 RPM but once in a while someone will get an exhaust system on a sport bike that is just crappy sounding at around town speeds. Just loud and terrible sounding. Better yet when they don't have it tuned right so it snap, crackles and pops.
Cruisers usually aren't bad but the 18 and 19 year old brothers down street have managed to make some of the loudest sounding bikes ever. They were running open headers on an old Gold Wing that was stripped and blacked out. LOL. That was a death trap. When these too got their hands a couple of Harley's the noise level went way up. They had made them louder then straight pipes, not sure how they did that but they did. Better yet one of the Harley's needed about 3 or 4 minutes to idle right so every time that got started up he had to keep rev'ing it up or it would die. Then he would do a slow loop around the neighborhood because he was a afraid the bike would die on a major street before it warmed up. I have no doubt it could have.

The funny part about the two brothers is after buying and selling some thing like 12 bikes between the two of them they finally bought some fairly new Harley's. Then one got stolen at an apartment complex. LOL>

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Regarding "loud" anything.

I'm a decent human being that doesn't like allowing my enjoyment to cause misery to others.
When I bought my VTX, it had straight pipes and was loud as F***. One of the first things I did was search for a set of stock pipes. It now has stock pipes. I don't feel the least bit guilty now when I fire up my bike.
When I lost the muffler on my Ranchero, many many years ago, it sounded so badass that my friends were in awe. But I would enter neighborhoods with barely more than an idle.

I have neighbors that added Hellcat exhaust to their cars and they fire them up at 2AM to go to work. Rev the engine a few times, just to make their hardon stronger. Then they lay rubber from their driveway to the first turn. Yeah, baby. They're real men!

There's no reason to inflict misery on others for my own enjoyment.

Before anyone says "freedom" this or that, the word has been *******ized to something it isn't. Everyone is free to do whatever they want, whenever they want, as long as it doesn't interfere with the freedom or etc of anyone else.

Re: lout pipes or music or whatever. I see it as nothing more than little man syndrome. An overcompensation of an inferiority complex. Doesn't matter if it's a loud Harley with 18" ape hangers or a jacked up 4X4 or a loud Hummer. It's all the same.

JMHO

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
2,876 Posts
It’s more when you’re trying to relax and get some quiet time at home, and this happens right next door. As I told a guy on YouTube over ‘almost running down a Karen’, if you do it every so often… Fine. But that little bit of consideration means you don’t do it ALL of the time.

We were sitting in a little restaurant on Maui when a Harley rider (probably a rental) went by, revving his engine. Now, this is on a little front street in a town, with buildings on both sides. So it made a nice, tight, little canyon. The bike sounded great, but, revved up like that, the reverb effect amplified the sound in the restaurant by about 3x. The air pressure was painful. After his second time around, I swore that I would go ‘have a word’… But he didn’t make a third pass.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Like I said earlier, must be a Northern thing. To each his own down here. We just don’t get bothered by that I guess. Lots of other issues someone being loud.

And LMAO at all the “little man syndrome” and “over compensation” talk. People can’t buy and enjoy what they want? I know a girl with a jacked up pickup that is super loud…what does she have? Lol. People can’t like other things than you like, or they are over compensating?

There is probably a reason none of you have “confronted” a real biker. Everyone is a tough guy, until they meet one.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I confirm, this is a thing I've witnessed, and in some cases it isn't even the kind of sound that many of us would consider to be "music".

Imagine, .... a bike idling at the traffic light, while the "real biker" astride revs the piss out of his engine, ... and clearly audible over this, the sound of somebody alternately bragging and cursing to a beat. Every 10th word is discernable, and if your granny heard you say any of them, ... you'd be tasting soap.
I have heard bikes that were too loud. Senseless loud and they didn't sound good on top of that. That goes for any kind of bike. I love to hear sport bikes screaming as they head over 10, 12,000 RPM but once in a while someone will get an exhaust system on a sport bike that is just crappy sounding at around town speeds. Just loud and terrible sounding. Better yet when they don't have it tuned right so it snap, crackles and pops.
Cruisers usually aren't bad but the 18 and 19 year old brothers down street have managed to make some of the loudest sounding bikes ever. They were running open headers on an old Gold Wing that was stripped and blacked out. LOL. That was a death trap. When these too got their hands a couple of Harley's the noise level went way up. They had made them louder then straight pipes, not sure how they did that but they did. Better yet one of the Harley's needed about 3 or 4 minutes to idle right so every time that got started up he had to keep rev'ing it up or it would die. Then he would do a slow loop around the neighborhood because he was a afraid the bike would die on a major street before it warmed up. I have no doubt it could have.

The funny part about the two brothers is after buying and selling some thing like 12 bikes between the two of them they finally bought some fairly new Harley's. Then one got stolen at an apartment complex. LOL>
Regarding "loud" anything.

I'm a decent human being that doesn't like allowing my enjoyment to cause misery to others.
When I bought my VTX, it had straight pipes and was loud as F***. One of the first things I did was search for a set of stock pipes. It now has stock pipes. I don't feel the least bit guilty now when I fire up my bike.
When I lost the muffler on my Ranchero, many many years ago, it sounded so badass that my friends were in awe. But I would enter neighborhoods with barely more than an idle.

I have neighbors that added Hellcat exhaust to their cars and they fire them up at 2AM to go to work. Rev the engine a few times, just to make their hardon stronger. Then they lay rubber from their driveway to the first turn. Yeah, baby. They're real men!

There's no reason to inflict misery on others for my own enjoyment.

Before anyone says "freedom" this or that, the word has been *******ized to something it isn't. Everyone is free to do whatever they want, whenever they want, as long as it doesn't interfere with the freedom or etc of anyone else.

Re: lout pipes or music or whatever. I see it as nothing more than little man syndrome. An overcompensation of an inferiority complex. Doesn't matter if it's a loud Harley with 18" ape hangers or a jacked up 4X4 or a loud Hummer. It's all the same.

JMHO
Like I said earlier, must be a Northern thing. To each his own down here. We just don’t get bothered by that I guess. Lots of other issues someone being loud.

And LMAO at all the “little man syndrome” and “over compensation” talk. People can’t buy and enjoy what they want? I know a girl with a jacked up pickup that is super loud…what does she have? Lol. People can’t like other things than you like, or they are over compensating?

There is probably a reason none of you have “confronted” a real biker. Everyone is a tough guy, until they meet one.
I personally don't care for hearing some dudes (I've never seen a female with loud m/c stereo) stereo as he passes by on his bike... but I don't care to hear someones stereo blasting out from their cars or trucks either. Problem is though, a hundred years or so ago I remember how happy I was to put quality speakers (finally) and stereo in my car so I could crank the heck out of it. I made sure everyone within 500 yards could be impressed with my collection of AC/DC and Styxx tapes.

My 1st hot rod had a Hooker dual exhaust coming out of a big block, cammed up, chevy engine. I blew one muffler and never replaced it because I loved the extra rumble. And yes, I was rolling out of the neighborhood at 4:30 in the morning to go to work and I most definitely had to rev the engine a time or two as I was rolling out.

I'm willing to bet the old folks didn't like my rock and roll any more than I care for a lot of the stuff put out today. That's just the way things are.

I'll bet I ticked a couple of the neighbors off with my exhaust but not one ever came up to me and said anything so I never thought anything about it.

I don't think I have a "little man syndrome". I'm not a little man.... I think I'm kind of regular sized.

It didn't make me a "real man" either. I never thought about or felt the need to prove I was a real man. My Dad told me once he felt I was a grown man so I knew from then on that I was. Never had to prove it

I don't care for extreme foul language in public, especially if there are elderly or small children within earshot. I hear it, I'll politely go up to the person and point out who all is hearing them and ask them to tone it down a bit. It usually works.

If you hear someones music too loud and it offends you... go up and tell the person. They might just surprise you and turn it down... or they might just tell you to get stuffed and turn it up even more.... then the ball will be back in your court. What is the definition of a real man anyway? At least you'll get to exercise the same freedom as the person is who is aggravating you.

We all have to quite attaching negative labels and names to people who do stuff that you personally don't care for.

Too many of us in society have a tendency to try to tear down or sneer at things we don't approve of.

What sounds good or looks good is completely relative to each and every individual. Just because you don't think something sounds good makes absolutely no difference in the whole scheme of things. Just let it go.... How long are you sitting next to that person at the stoplight anyway?

My .02 cents anyway.....

Reactions: Coop and Theja1

·
Registered
7,908 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Honda Valkyrie
5 Posts
Sorry to hear that experience. Im not going to name names but it sounds very much like a very certain type of biker that looks down on everyone else. Many will know who im talking about though....

In my opinion, if you ride a motorcycle and you are good overall person susceptible to mistakes like everyone then you are a real biker.

Unfortunately some people buy into a group or brand and like sheep, buy the matching gear including boots, jacket, bandanna, tattoo purse and earings. And thats fine if that what you like. But the brand is getting you to buy its product and advertise for them at your expense. So its a good manipulation of customers. Every brand tries this.

But some think the gear makes you better when in fact, its your attitude.

So i would shrug it off.

I have had HD guys walk up to me and ask me what model HD i have and i say "Irs not a Harley its a Honda" and they turn around, scoff and walk away.

I could care less. If i see a biker in trouble on the road, i will help regardless.

Do i poke fun? Sure. But only fun and not hate. So i would just not worry about the title "Real Biker" because any "Real" biker doesn't go around with an inferiority complex.
Cheers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, I mad a comment on the actions of a MC rider and was accused of "not knowing what I was talking about" because I'm not a "real" biker.

What does that mean?

What makes a "biker"? What makes a "biker" better than anyone else?

What's with the "biker" attitude?

As it pertains to this conversation, my mere Honda VTX 1300 didn't qualify as 'biker" bike. Whatever.
I don't wear leathers. I don't have a jacket or patches. I don't and never have belonged to a "club".
I wear a full face helmet and have since 1984. The longest I went without riding is 4 years.
I do have a couple hundred thousand miles in the seat on at least 10 different bikes over my 40 years of riding.

Why do some "bikers" have so much hate for others?
Godless psychoses runs deep! Hitler gassed Jews for not being real Germans! Losers who feel weak can macho themselves up by putting on so-called biker clothing & raging on Limey bikes Rice burners etc. I.E. Your not a real biker if you don't walk talk & ride a bike just like ME & mine! Witch by my definition is no bike at all just scared little punks in bad boy biker clothing playing Mr. Big! I've only been riding Hogs Indians Limey & Jap bikes 61 years and never played the bad boy biker role! I should think you qualify as a real biker, not a credit card biker, like some!

21 - 40 of 122 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.