Honda Shadow Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 61 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,989 Posts
Like I said earlier, must be a Northern thing...
There is probably a reason none of you have “confronted” a real biker. Everyone is a tough guy, until they meet one.
Probably what the Confederates thought as well, until they lost. For all that you go on, you said one thing I’ll agree with.

You really don’t get it. 😉

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well, I made a comment on the actions of a MC rider and was accused of "not knowing what I was talking about" because I'm not a "real" biker. What does that mean?
It means that person felt it necessary to make an ad-hominim counter attack to save face since the critique was too close to the truth.

·
Registered
2013 Black Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C
37 Posts
Hi Guys. (Up heah in New Hampshah “you guys” includes the ladies) My Son once told me we are not bikers. We are guys that ride motorcycles (in their first season). I don’t have tattoos (no offense. My Son does) and i ride a wimpy scooter Honda 750 many refer to as a bich bike. I wear a full face helmet (in new hampshire!). And leather jacket or long sleeves, proper foot gear and sometimes a neon green vest. I did drill a half inch hole in the back of the baffles but regret doing that. It’s not loud and still sounds just about as good as Stock. Yeah, I’m still tryin to get comfortable cruising in a 65mph breeze and 50 is my comfort zone. I stop at all the stop signs and use my blinkah. So call me what you want. I LOVE riding my motorcycle. And I’ll be riding my motorcycle long after my wonderful children sit down with me and tell me they wish i would give them my key. Cuz I’m a “guy who ridesa motorcycle”. AND I’ll keep waiving to the Harley guys. The eternal optimist in me still thinks they’ll come around.

·
Registered
7,899 Posts
Hey Theja1,

Curiosity leads me to ask, What is your definition of a real biker?

Thanks,
John
A Diamond 1% patch. Everyone else is a wannabe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,899 Posts
Probably what the Confederates thought as well, until they lost. For all that you go on, you said one thing I’ll agree with.

You really don’t get it.
Ignorance is bliss. You have no idea what you are talking about. Canadians, the other white meat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, I mad a comment on the actions of a MC rider and was accused of "not knowing what I was talking about" because I'm not a "real" biker.

What does that mean?

What makes a "biker"? What makes a "biker" better than anyone else?

What's with the "biker" attitude?

As it pertains to this conversation, my mere Honda VTX 1300 didn't qualify as 'biker" bike. Whatever.
I don't wear leathers. I don't have a jacket or patches. I don't and never have belonged to a "club".
I wear a full face helmet and have since 1984. The longest I went without riding is 4 years.
I do have a couple hundred thousand miles in the seat on at least 10 different bikes over my 40 years of riding.

Why do some "bikers" have so much hate for others?
Appreciate you sharing this info...personally I am not a fan of anyone that looks down on another especially those that share the road with us on two wheels. We all know the dangers of this lifestyle that we love and there is nothing more irritating than someone or group who think that they are the "real deal" and that others that don't have the same bike or aren't in a club somehow don't belong. Sorry you were made to feel this way and just keep doing you. If you have heard, there is an app called Tonit that connects riders to other riders. Also do a lot of group rides. I've met some really amazing people on this App. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I'm not trying to be argumentative here, bu why would someone automatically assume negative things about someone who buys into a brand and wears their apparel? Maybe they like it. Ever check out H-D branded merchandise? It's typically much better quality than is found on other shelf's. Wearing it doesn't make someone a punk.
What makes anyone think that just because someone dresses a certain way or rides a particular brand of motorcycle that that person is looking down on you? Maybe they're not that sociable.....

I spent 23 years active military and then a whole bunch more as a OGA and/or OGS contractor. I have few to no friends that are not from those groups. I seldom even try to have much to do with folks that aren't from those small communities. Doesn't mean I look down on others, I just don't feel we have much in common and I'm good with the circle of friends that I have.

It's like when we get threads on here from someone who waves at everyone else while they're riding then get butt-hurt when someone doesn't return their wave. They race here and in a huff start a thread about how some big tattooed mean looking guy looked down on them and snubbed them. Really??? Want to get snubbed? Go try to break into a conversation at Startbucks with the guys on their BMW's and KTM's wearing their three thousand dollars worth of KLIM gear. They're probably not looking down on your either, they just probably don;t have a lot to talk to you about and they're content hanging with those in their group.

Every brand out there wants you to buy it's product and advertise for them. That's why they are in business. Ever wonder why Wrangler or Ariat advertise so heavily at rodeo's? Just because someone buys the merchandise and wears it doesn't make them a wannabe cowboy.

Hard to imagine someone who knows bikes not know a Honda from a Harley but I guess stranger things have happened. One thing that's true with the vast majority of Honda owners is they haven't did many mods to their bikes. Makes it kind of hard to have much to discuss. Doesn't give anyone an inferiority complex.

If you ride what you want to ride and you're happy and content with it, you're probably a real biker.

If you wear what you want to wear and you're happy with it, you're probably a real biker.

There's a member on here who proudly dresses as a power ranger and OWN's the phrase. I'm thinkin' he's as much of a real biker as anyone who wears shorts and flip flops, all black leather, or specialty made KLIM. I'd not accuse him of having hate for others who dress differently so why would someone automatically assume the others have hate?

I have a friend who has a $35k H-D and he's easily put another $10k in to it. He's quite proud of that bike... and he should. He started out life dirt poor. Worked his butt off. Sacrificed. Made good decisions. He started with inexpensive bikes and started working his way up. One day he finally could do it and he walked into a dealership and easily wrote a check for the exact bike he wanted. A brand spankin' new H-D Ultra. He put custom seat, custom bars and assorted other farkles on it until it became "his". Think he isn't proud of it? Doesn't mean he looks down on somebody who rides a $1000 imported fixer. I doubt he hates those who ride Honda's. He walks like a badass because he is one. If you called hima credit card biker he'd probably just grin at you and walk away. It would just show your ignorance.

C'mon folks. This thread is starting to get ridiculous. I thought we were past calling people names just because of what they rode or wore. Judging others without knowing them.

As is said often by many who are wiser than me: "Ride your own ride". Get over yourself.

My .02 anyway.

Attachments

Reactions: PhantomRider64

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I'm not trying to be argumentative here, bu why would someone automatically assume negative things about someone who buys into a brand and wears their apparel? Maybe they like it. Ever check out H-D branded merchandise? It's typically much better quality than is found on other shelf's. Wearing it doesn't make someone a punk.
What makes anyone think that just because someone dresses a certain way or rides a particular brand of motorcycle that that person is looking down on you? Maybe they're not that sociable.....

I spent 23 years active military and then a whole bunch more as a OGA and/or OGS contractor. I have few to no friends that are not from those groups. I seldom even try to have much to do with folks that aren't from those small communities. Doesn't mean I look down on others, I just don't feel we have much in common and I'm good with the circle of friends that I have.

It's like when we get threads on here from someone who waves at everyone else while they're riding then get butt-hurt when someone doesn't return their wave. They race here and in a huff start a thread about how some big tattooed mean looking guy looked down on them and snubbed them. Really??? Want to get snubbed? Go try to break into a conversation at Startbucks with the guys on their BMW's and KTM's wearing their three thousand dollars worth of KLIM gear. They're probably not looking down on your either, they just probably don;t have a lot to talk to you about and they're content hanging with those in their group.

Every brand out there wants you to buy it's product and advertise for them. That's why they are in business. Ever wonder why Wrangler or Ariat advertise so heavily at rodeo's? Just because someone buys the merchandise and wears it doesn't make them a wannabe cowboy.

Hard to imagine someone who knows bikes not know a Honda from a Harley but I guess stranger things have happened. One thing that's true with the vast majority of Honda owners is they haven't did many mods to their bikes. Makes it kind of hard to have much to discuss. Doesn't give anyone an inferiority complex.

If you ride what you want to ride and you're happy and content with it, you're probably a real biker.

If you wear what you want to wear and you're happy with it, you're probably a real biker.

There's a member on here who proudly dresses as a power ranger and OWN's the phrase. I'm thinkin' he's as much of a real biker as anyone who wears shorts and flip flops, all black leather, or specialty made KLIM. I'd not accuse him of having hate for others who dress differently so why would someone automatically assume the others have hate?

I have a friend who has a $35k H-D and he's easily put another $10k in to it. He's quite proud of that bike... and he should. He started out life dirt poor. Worked his butt off. Sacrificed. Made good decisions. He started with inexpensive bikes and started working his way up. One day he finally could do it and he walked into a dealership and easily wrote a check for the exact bike he wanted. A brand spankin' new H-D Ultra. He put custom seat, custom bars and assorted other farkles on it until it became "his". Think he isn't proud of it? Doesn't mean he looks down on somebody who rides a $1000 imported fixer. I doubt he hates those who ride Honda's. He walks like a badass because he is one. If you called him a credit card biker he'd probably just grin at you and walk away. It would just show your ignorance.

C'mon folks. This thread is starting to get ridiculous. I thought we were past calling people names just because of what they rode or wore. Judging others without knowing them.

As is said often by many who are wiser than me: "Ride your own ride". Get over yourself.

My .02 anyway.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts

I have a friend who has a $35k H-D and he's easily put another $10k in to it. He's quite proud of that bike... and he should. He started out life dirt poor. Worked his butt off. Sacrificed. Made good decisions. He started with inexpensive bikes and started working his way up. One day he finally could do it and he walked into a dealership and easily wrote a check for the exact bike he wanted. A brand spankin' new H-D Ultra. He put custom seat, custom bars and assorted other farkles on it until it became "his". Think he isn't proud of it? Doesn't mean he looks down on somebody who rides a $1000 imported fixer. I doubt he hates those who ride Honda's. He walks like a badass because he is one. If you called him a credit card biker he'd probably just grin at you and walk away. It would just show your ignorance.

My .02 anyway.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but why would someone automatically assume negative things about someone who buys into a brand and wears their apparel? Maybe they like it. Ever check out H-D branded merchandise? It's typically much better quality than is found on other shelf's. Wearing it doesn't make someone a punk.

I spent 23 years active military and then a whole bunch more as a OGA and/or NGA contractor. I have few to no friends that are not from those groups. I seldom even try to have much to do with folks that aren't from those small communities. Doesn't mean I look down on others, I just don't feel we have much in common and I'm good with the circle of friends that I have.

Reminds me of when we get threads on here from someone who likes to wave at everyone while they're riding then gets butt-hurt when someone doesn't return their wave. They race here and in a huff start a thread about how some big tattooed mean looking guy looked down on them and snubbed them. Really??? Want to get snubbed? Go try to break into a conversation at Startbucks with the guys on their BMW's and KTM's wearing their three thousand dollar KLIM gear. They're probably not looking down on your either, they just probably don't have a lot to talk to you about and they're content hanging with those in their group.

Hard to imagine someone who knows bikes not know a Honda from a Harley but I guess stranger things have happened. One thing that's true with the vast majority of Honda owners is they haven't did many mods to their bikes. Makes it kind of hard to have much to discuss. Doesn't have to give anyone an inferiority complex.

My .02 anyway.

Reactions: Coop

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Sorry @Spiritman clicked the clickety thing too many times.....

Reactions: Coop and punxsybob

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,752 Posts
Which picture defines a Real Biker nowadays.
But I am partial to the girls !

Attachments

Reactions: 1shadowsabre

·
Registered
3,450 Posts

I have a friend who has a $35k H-D and he's easily put another $10k in to it. He's quite proud of that bike... and he should. He started out life dirt poor. Worked his butt off. Sacrificed. Made good decisions. He started with inexpensive bikes and started working his way up. One day he finally could do it and he walked into a dealership and easily wrote a check for the exact bike he wanted. A brand spankin' new H-D Ultra. He put custom seat, custom bars and assorted other farkles on it until it became "his". Think he isn't proud of it? Doesn't mean he looks down on somebody who rides a $1000 imported fixer. I doubt he hates those who ride Honda's. He walks like a badass because he is one. If you called hima credit card biker he'd probably just grin at you and walk away. It would just show your ignorance.

I agree!!!

I know the Power Ranger rider,,,like him too.

Years ago my cousin told me that it don’t matter what you ride as long as your knees are in the breeze. I took that saying to heart and I don’t give a rats a$$ what anyone rides, I try my best not to judge anyone and accept folks the way they are.

I ride in blue jeans, boots, T shirt, and a cut (blue jean jacket with the sleeves cut out) that has patches all over it. I get some strange looks from time to time. If it is cold enough I wear the black leather chaps and jacket. I am not trying to make any statement or fit in with any group, it’s what is comfortable to me and I like it. In the future I plan to get a trike, looking at the Tri Glides and Gold wings, either will work and they both have their good and bad points. I will probably take some test rides and if that doesn’t figure it out I will just flip a coin. I am sure I will still be wearing the same riding clothes no matter which brand I buy.

Am I a real biker??? I dunno,,,I ride a motorcycle and I am not just a fair weather rider. Does it matter,,,not one bit.

Eric

Reactions: Bdilz99

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
When you compare people who ride motorcycles, of ANY kind, 2 or 3 wheels included to the rest of the population as a whole, ALL riders are in a smallish segment of the total population, and when you look at it that way, We ARE all brothers together. (And we argue like brothers sometimes...)

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Which picture defines a Real Biker nowadays.
But I am partial to the girls !
View attachment 298305 View attachment 298306 View attachment 298307 I'd hate to judge anyone just by their appearance but I will volunteer my services to thoroughly interview, inspect and vet these applicants, and what the heck, I'll go out and have beers with these View attachment 298308 View attachment 298309 to attempt to make some sort of determination as well. If you don't hear back from me anytime soon I'm probably out tearing up some trails with this one..
View attachment 298311

Have a great day!

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
When you compare people who ride motorcycles, of ANY kind, 2 or 3 wheels included to the rest of the population as a whole, ALL riders are in a smallish segment of the total population, and when you look at it that way, We ARE all brothers together. (And we argue like brothers sometimes...)
... and spouses. Wouldn't we ALL make one heck of an interesting Thanksgiving dinner!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Bdilz99

·
Registered
7,899 Posts
Hey Theja1,

Thank you for the reply.

Which are you?

Why does everyone else have to be a wannabe?

Thanks,
John
Because I know many diamonds…I can’t do what they do. They are real. They are bikers 7 days a week. As I was told one time, we aren’t bikers during the week, then play fireman on the weekend. We play biker on the weekends (or whenever you ride), but they do it full time.

Nothing wrong with being a wannabe. Nearly everyone at a college or pro football game wishes they were able to be playing, but they can’t.

My friend @squidchief is dead on with what he says.

I’ve ridden 1440 miles one way to Sturgis twice, and then home. I’ve been to Daytona. I regularly go to Thunder Beach. But I’m a wannabe…I wish I could, but I can’t do what they do.

If you have ever ridden with a Diamond club, you would understand.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Hey Theja1,

Thank you for the reply.

Which are you?

Why does everyone else have to be a wannabe?

Thanks,
John
I agree that if one wants to be a true "biker" you gotta be a 1%er. Personally I have zero desire to be a 1%er so I do disagree with the "everyone else is a wannabe" thought, but I get it. I believe that many that talk down about bikers are just jealous. Not all... but most.
@Theja1 is spot on regarding sitting in the stands at a ballgame. Deep down we're jealous. I'd love to of been able to compete at that level. I'd of did just about anything and sacrificed just about anything to of suited up and played a game at it's highest level.

I'm also 100% willing to prove that being a multi millionaire won't make me a bigger a-hole than I already am. Where do I sign up to find out??????:)

I get a bit huffy when people talk down or make negative assumptions about 1%ers. For some unknown reason I'm very good friends with one and he had his brothers down in Las Vegas take care of my son on his 21st b-day. Those dudes treated him like a prince and treated my wife like a lady when they met her. Yes, I know they have their flaws just like the rest of us but if you treat my family right, we'll all be friends for the rest of our lives. They are welcome at my house anytime day or night... no need to call ahead.

Reactions: Coop and Theja1

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but why would someone automatically assume negative things about someone who buys into a brand and wears their apparel? Maybe they like it. Ever check out H-D branded merchandise? It's typically much better quality than is found on other shelf's. Wearing it doesn't make someone a punk.

I spent 23 years active military and then a whole bunch more as a OGA and/or NGA contractor. I have few to no friends that are not from those groups. I seldom even try to have much to do with folks that aren't from those small communities. Doesn't mean I look down on others, I just don't feel we have much in common and I'm good with the circle of friends that I have.

Reminds me of when we get threads on here from someone who likes to wave at everyone while they're riding then gets butt-hurt when someone doesn't return their wave. They race here and in a huff start a thread about how some big tattooed mean looking guy looked down on them and snubbed them. Really??? Want to get snubbed? Go try to break into a conversation at Startbucks with the guys on their BMW's and KTM's wearing their three thousand dollar KLIM gear. They're probably not looking down on your either, they just probably don't have a lot to talk to you about and they're content hanging with those in their group.

Hard to imagine someone who knows bikes not know a Honda from a Harley but I guess stranger things have happened. One thing that's true with the vast majority of Honda owners is they haven't did many mods to their bikes. Makes it kind of hard to have much to discuss. Doesn't have to give anyone an inferiority complex.

Sounds familiar
I don't give a crap what anyone wears, be happy, ride your ride and enjoy! I ride and have rode with all types, just ride, and stay away from judges and judging.....

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

41 - 61 of 122 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.