Honda Shadow Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,882 Posts
Somebody said it first. "Ride your own ride". It's as simple as that. Enjoy! ..and, if it's not enjoyable anymore, find something else to make you happy.

There was a guy on here a while back - huge contributor - a Good Guy. He sold his Honda for a Harley, specifically for the lifestyle. There's real value in that for many people. They go-to the meets, they ride together, and then the BBQ's and the whatnots - They're into that kinda stuff. No harm in it. It's their thing, and good for them.

I met a guy while out riding my Tiger Adv bike one time. I just finished riding the Rim Trail. That was one mucky bike! and there I was covered in dirt. .. Anyways, we got to talking, and he says he always wanted to ride an Adv bike, so, I tossed him my keys and said "enjoy".. I later rode his Harley (though I was worried about making it less shiny! :0),. ...It was a nice bike. Nice Guy! We went for a burger. Had a chat... Anyways, this guy, he was telling me that this soft bagger of his isn't considered a "real bike" by some of the people he hangs out with? ...He was legitimately embarrassed about that! ... There's a real hierarchy in that community it seems!! :0)

There was nothing wrong with that Harley. It was a Really Nice soft bagger. Rode smoother and had softer suspension than does my Vic' ..but ..There's a price to pay for membership to any club I guess. :0) ...Told him not to worry about what others thought, and to enjoy the hell out of That Great Bike.

There are always those who like a certain crowd - who like to fit in, like to socialize, or make a loud statement about who they are through what they do etc. And as long as it doesn't entail quite-literally pissing in my cornflakes, that's okay. Where the problems seem to start (especially on this forum), is when those in some club express their opinions regarding some exclusivity to others...Especially negative opinions. :0)

It's okay if a person is into their clique (or whatnot), but it's not that important to others that they feel part of it. Those opinions about what, or how a person rides - doled out by somebody with strictly limited views on a subject? Well, that's their thing too. And you don't have to take those opinions too seriously.

In regards to that elusive "Real Biker"? ...Honestly? ..F'ked if I know what one of those are? Somebody who rides a motorcycle maybe? The rest? ..wanting to belong to a group? ..Declare themselves socially with some attire or another? It's their thing and it's of little importance to people on the outside.

Been all kinds of people pass through this forum. But Nobody turned into a Real Biker who didn't self-identify as one due to what they wore, or what they rode. A person simply doesn't go from "Motorcycle Enthusiast", to "Real Biker" in the time it takes to secure financing on a two-wheeled vehicle, or a new leather jacket, or some ?? f'kin patch, or whatever). There are people who ride every-single day, and those who just ride for the social life on all brands of bikes. Nobody could be called an expert on judging another because of what a person rides. Anybody who would, are saying more about themselves I figure.

This whole "Motorcyclin'" thing? ..Like has been said. Each to their own. Just have some fun with it.

·
Registered
7,899 Posts
Somebody said it first. "Ride your own ride". It's as simple as that. Enjoy! ..and, if it's not enjoyable anymore, find something else to make you happy.

There was a guy on here a while back - huge contributor - a Good Guy. He sold his Honda for a Harley, specifically for the lifestyle. There's real value in that for many people. They go-to the meets, they ride together, and then the BBQ's and the whatnots - They're into that kinda stuff. No harm in it. It's their thing, and good for them.

I met a guy while out riding my Tiger Adv bike one time. I just finished riding the Rim Trail. That was one mucky bike! and there I was covered in dirt. .. Anyways, we got to talking, and he says he always wanted to ride an Adv bike, so, I tossed him my keys and said "enjoy".. I later rode his Harley (though I was worried about making it less shiny! :0),. ...It was a nice bike. Nice Guy! We went for a burger. Had a chat... Anyways, this guy, he was telling me that this soft bagger of his isn't considered a "real bike" by some of the people he hangs out with? ...He was legitimately embarrassed about that! ... There's a real hierarchy in that community it seems!! :0)

There was nothing wrong with that Harley. It was a Really Nice soft bagger. Rode smoother and had softer suspension than does my Vic' ..but ..There's a price to pay for membership to any club I guess. :0) ...Told him not to worry about what others thought, and to enjoy the hell out of That Great Bike.

There are always those who like a certain crowd - who like to fit in, like to socialize, or make a loud statement about who they are through what they do etc. And as long as it doesn't entail quite-literally pissing in my cornflakes, that's okay. Where the problems seem to start (especially on this forum), is when those in some club express their opinions regarding some exclusivity to others...Especially negative opinions. :0)

It's okay if a person is into their clique (or whatnot), but it's not that important to others that they feel part of it. Those opinions about what, or how a person rides - doled out by somebody with strictly limited views on a subject? Well, that's their thing too. And you don't have to take those opinions too seriously.

In regards to that elusive "Real Biker"? ...Honestly? ..F'ked if I know what one of those are? Somebody who rides a motorcycle maybe? The rest? ..wanting to belong to a group? ..Declare themselves socially with some attire or another? It's their thing and it's of little importance to people on the outside.

Been all kinds of people pass through this forum. But Nobody turned into a Real Biker who didn't self-identify as one due to what they wore, or what they rode. A person simply doesn't go from "Motorcycle Enthusiast", to "Real Biker" in the time it takes to secure financing on a two-wheeled vehicle, or a new leather jacket, or some ?? f'kin patch, or whatever). There are people who ride every-single day, and those who just ride for the social life on all brands of bikes. Nobody could be called an expert on judging another because of what a person rides. Anybody who would, are saying more about themselves I figure.

This whole "Motorcyclin'" thing? ..Like has been said. Each to their own. Just have some fun with it.
Do not listen to this man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I also had a Suzuki 550 back in the early 80's. You say triple. I had forgotten that it was a 3 cylinder engine, but I think it was. Mine was 2 cycle as well. You didn't have to mix the fuel, but it had a separate oil reserve where you had to keep filled. I don't remember a problem with alternators, but it was fairly new and I only owned it a couple of years.

I had some real experiences on with that bike. One was riding down to the mountains in Tennessee. A friend and I left after work on a Friday. It got foggy after dark, and you couldn't see very far ahead at all. Our visors would fog up. All we could do was to try to keep up with the tail lights of the trucks that were going 80mph. You couldn't see where you were going other than that. Good times...
Yup, sounds like the same bike. It had the 2-cycle oil injector. Had to remember to keep it filled. I learned the hard way. I was 25 miles from home and the engine locked up. I managed to coax it in spurts to get to a place to buy some ATF. My dad used ATF in his Hodaka back in the day.

The thing about the triple was that it had a weird power band. Something like a dog til you got to 3500 RPM and then it was like getting kicked in the butt to 9000 RPM. I never found the top end. After riding a CB450 for a year, that 550 triple was scary. I actually tossed someone off the back more than a couple times. You can only tell someone to hold on too many times before they need to learn the hard way.

It was a fast bike but just not reliable.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,752 Posts
This discussion keeps me thinking about these guys.
A lot is sissy looking gentlemen in plaid suits and bow ties and handlebar mustaches. Are they bikers?
I don't know why not, and the best thing they are doing what we all want when we ride =having fun.
It looks like a hoot, all around the world.

Reactions: squidchief

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,989 Posts
I don’t think John said he hates the 1% Diamonds, Squid… It’s probably the attitude he gets back that bugs him. There’s always some, but I’ve never really understood ‘cliques’ at all, myself. Think they’re silly. Like the air-cooled Porsche crowd telling newer owners they don’t drive ‘real’ Porsches...

Like you mention the Shadow as being the ‘Dodge Van’ of bikes. Inaccurate, because Hondas are reliable! 😉 I do admit that my early model is the one I like best. Just a fan of all of the ‘early to mid-80s’ bikes, in how they looked. Once Honda won their lawsuit against HD, they just became out and out copies. But I’m also not a fan of the big HD cruisers, either, with the oversized fenders and enough chrome to be seen from orbit. I wouldn’t mind many of their newer bikes, though… and don’t get me started on the Night Rod! Drool 😄

But it shouldn’t matter. If you ride, you ride… Hell, with today’s homicidal, idiot drivers, my hat goes off to anyone that braves the roads on two wheels!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Once Honda won their lawsuit against HD, they just became out and out copies.
I don't think there ever was a lawsuit of Harley against Honda, nor Honda against Harley. This myth has been so often repeated that it is taken as truth.

What happened was that in 1994, Harley filed to trademark the SOUND of a 45 degree V-Twin. Did You Know Harley-Davidson Tried To Trademark Their Exhaust Sound? (imotorbike.my) This is not a lawsuit against a particular opponent, but blocks any and all competitors from utilizing trademarked features.

Honda was only ONE of the NINE companies that filed opposition to the recognition of that trademark. Harley's trademark attempt failed. Many entities had produced V-twin engines for over 100 years prior to HD's attempt, and Harley wasn't even the first. One of the first was in 1889 by Daimler. V-twin engine - Wikipedia

Another myth is that Honda stopped making single crankpin V-twins after this. They didn't. For example, the VLX was a single crank design throughout its production, up until it was withdrawn in 2007, and there are other examples.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I don’t think John said he hates the 1% Diamonds, Squid… It’s probably the attitude he gets back that bugs him. There’s always some, but I’ve never really understood ‘cliques’ at all, myself. Think they’re silly. Like the air-cooled Porsche crowd telling newer owners they don’t drive ‘real’ Porsches...

Like you mention the Shadow as being the ‘Dodge Van’ of bikes. Inaccurate, because Hondas are reliable! 😉 I do admit that my early model is the one I like best. Just a fan of all of the ‘early to mid-80s’ bikes, in how they looked. Once Honda won their lawsuit against HD, they just became out and out copies. But I’m also not a fan of the big HD cruisers, either, with the oversized fenders and enough chrome to be seen from orbit. I wouldn’t mind many of their newer bikes, though… and don’t get me started on the Night Rod! Drool 😄

But it shouldn’t matter. If you ride, you ride… Hell, with today’s homicidal, idiot drivers, my hat goes off to anyone that braves the roads on two wheels!
THIS is one of my HUGE pet peeves in life.

TEAMS

It's a carryover of the bullsquirt they teach you in high school. Team rivalry.

Ford v Chevy
Republican v Democrat
My team v Your team.

The main reason I don't belong to ANY club or clique or team is the insane belief that the other guy is inferior simply because he's not on my team.
It's cult mentality. If you don't believe what I believe, you're inferior.

It's pretty stupid, really.

And, well, if you believe the other guy is inferior, simply because he has a different opinion, or team, then yeah, I guess I'm calling you stupid.

·
Registered
7,899 Posts
THIS is one of my HUGE PET PEEVES
And this is my pet peeve. People that think you can have more than one. It’s your pet peeve because it’s the biggest peeve you have. You can only have one.

Reactions: Troy Jollimore

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I'm a motorcyclist, but I identify as a biker.

Or is it the other way around?
Oh yeah, I just remembered: I don't care. Both work for me.
Not much point wasting time trying to define myself with a definition that no one has yet agreed upon.
😏

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,752 Posts
Then there was the Mods and Rockers fad in the 1960's.

Attachments

Reactions: kesanders

·
Registered
7,899 Posts
If a person can have 4 pet cats, 3 pet dogs, a couple of pet birds, they can have more than one pet peeve.
Lol. No…slightly different.

·
Registered
7,899 Posts
How so? Some pets are more prominent than others.
I don’t have a pet cat. I have a cat. It’s a family member. And it’s a grammar thing, not associated with pets.

81 - 100 of 122 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.