Honda Shadow Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
People can have peeves, but their biggest peeve is their pet peeve. “My biggest pet peeve” is an oxymoron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
People can have peeves, but their biggest peeve is their pet peeve. “My biggest pet peeve” is an oxymoron.

From Oxford Language

pet peeve

noun
INFORMAL

1. something that a particular person finds especially annoying.
    "one of my biggest pet peeves is poor customer service"
My grammar is amazing, or at least she was before she passed away.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,254 Posts
Another myth is that Honda stopped making single crankpin V-twins after this. They didn't. For example, the VLX was a single crank design throughout its production, up until it was withdrawn in 2007, and there are other examples.
Just about all of Honda's v twins are single pin and the rest of the Japanese manufacturer's. Since the 1100 was born it has been the 45 degree cyl. configuration like HD. They then added a single pin crank setup thus producing the HD sound almost to perfection. 96'-00' the single pin models were offered in the ACE and Aero. Honda chose the 1100 2 pin for most of their 1100 models including the 01'-02' Aero. The norm of VT1100's with 2 pin, they sport alloy wheels but the Aero is the exception. VTX1800's are also a monster 2 pin motor thus making quite a formidable powerful v twin. Same PTWR as a 1500 Valkyrie. Quite a beast in a lot of ways. Was a big fan boy of the 1800 as my next bike until I had the pleasure of sitting on a Valk locally. When I went comparison shopping, it took too much physical effort to right a 1800C to riding position. Not a very confident feel whatsoever as I didn't get it off the kickstand and wasn't about to try again either.

·
Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
3,208 Posts
I don't think there ever was a lawsuit of Harley against Honda, nor Honda against Harley. This myth has been so often repeated that it is taken as truth.
Most probable. No Internet back then, and I can’t remember the particulars. I remember knowing about the 750cc tariff on it’s own, and I remember hearing about the ‘sound’ patent. But it was probably the late ‘80s or early ‘90s that someone mentioned something about, “Once HD lost their lawsuit, they all started looking EXACTLY like Harleys!” Which stuck with me. Funny thing is, I always thought of those early Metric cruisers as their own thing… until I recently saw a picture of a ‘70s HD Sportster… 🤦‍♂️

·
Premium Member
8,930 Posts
And this is my pet peeve. People that think you can have more than one. It’s your pet peeve because it’s the biggest peeve you have. You can only have one.
Window Toy Mammal Snout Stuffed toy

If a person can have 4 pet cats, 3 pet dogs, a couple of pet birds, they can have more than one pet peeve.
Toy Brown bear Carnivore Fawn Terrestrial animal

Lol. No…slightly different.
Brown bear Toy Carnivore Fawn Wood

How so? Some pets are more prominent than others.
Toy Brown bear Carnivore Fawn Terrestrial animal

I don’t have a pet cat. I have a cat. It’s a family member. And it’s a grammar thing, not associated with pets.
Window Toy Mammal Snout Stuffed toy

Brown bear Toy Carnivore Fawn Wood

From Oxford Language

pet peeve

noun
INFORMAL

1. something that a particular person finds especially annoying.
    "one of my biggest pet peeves is poor customer service"
My grammar is amazing, or at least she was before she passed away.
Brown Head Brown bear Toy Vertebrate

Attachments

Reactions: PhantomRider64

·
Premium Member
8,930 Posts

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I don’t think John said he hates the 1% Diamonds, Squid… It’s probably the attitude he gets back that bugs him. There’s always some, but I’ve never really understood ‘cliques’ at all, myself. Think they’re silly. Like the air-cooled Porsche crowd telling newer owners they don’t drive ‘real’ Porsches...

Like you mention the Shadow as being the ‘Dodge Van’ of bikes. Inaccurate, because Hondas are reliable! 😉 I do admit that my early model is the one I like best. Just a fan of all of the ‘early to mid-80s’ bikes, in how they looked. Once Honda won their lawsuit against HD, they just became out and out copies. But I’m also not a fan of the big HD cruisers, either, with the oversized fenders and enough chrome to be seen from orbit. I wouldn’t mind many of their newer bikes, though… and don’t get me started on the Night Rod! Drool 😄

But it shouldn’t matter. If you ride, you ride… Hell, with today’s homicidal, idiot drivers, my hat goes off to anyone that braves the roads on two wheels!
Don't take the phrase "Dodge van of the motorcycle world" as an insult because it's not intended as one. Butt tons of old Dodge vans out there on the road and there's a reason for it... they're dependable and reliable. They don't do anything great, but they do most everything pretty darn good.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
THIS is one of my HUGE pet peeves in life.

TEAMS

It's a carryover of the bullsquirt they teach you in high school. Team rivalry.

Ford v Chevy
Republican v Democrat
My team v Your team.

The main reason I don't belong to ANY club or clique or team is the insane belief that the other guy is inferior simply because he's not on my team.
It's cult mentality. If you don't believe what I believe, you're inferior.

It's pretty stupid, really.

And, well, if you believe the other guy is inferior, simply because he has a different opinion, or team, then yeah, I guess I'm calling you stupid.
You know, we're pretty much all saying the same thing, just differently. Some have called those wearing vest with patches and loud bikes various names and have made demeaning assumptions regarding their personal bravery, masculinity etc.etc. What's the difference? "the insane belief that the other guy is inferior simply because he's not on my team."

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
You know, we're pretty much all saying the same thing, just differently. Some have called those wearing vest with patches and loud bikes various names and have made demeaning assumptions regarding their personal bravery, masculinity etc.etc. What's the difference? "the insane belief that the other guy is inferior simply because he's not on my team."
There’s a reason they are doing it on an Internet forum and not in real life. I wouldn’t either…

·
Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
3,208 Posts
I’ve played on a team, and probably will again. But I’ve never subscribed to the idea of hating or degrading those not on your team. In fact, I’ve even helped my opponents, sometimes to my detriment, towards the improvement of both parties. It’s just too bad so few think like that.

·
Registered
2013 Black Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C2
188 Posts
Is it time to put a cap on this one and move on? I’m calling Uncle. It started to sound like the new “pronouns” movement a few pages ago.
Steve
Motorcyclist, biker, enthusiast.
he, him, his, peni$

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,401 Posts
Reactions: Mark-B

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
Untrue.

Insecure men are more likely to have pit bulls.
Is like to see the study that proves that. I know lots of people with pit bulls and I can’t think of one that is insecure.

Reactions: squidchief

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Is like to see the study that proves that. I know lots of people with pit bulls and I can’t think of one that is insecure.

The human psyche is interesting.
Although I don't think there have been "studies" regarding pit bulls and owners, there have been plenty of findings that "tough" people often are only perceived as being "tough" because they have, for lack of a better word, weapons.
There are many studies that show that "toughness" is overcompensation for insecurity. Think of bullies, for example. Too often it's been shown that bullies are overcompensating for some sort of weakness in their life.
Yes, there are those cases of pure psychopathic sadists who enjoy hurting others/things but that's not usually the case. Even psychopaths often are overcompensating for some feeling they were victimized.

I know a lot of tough guys. I also know a lot of their deep secrets they don't want anyone to know which is the whole point of that false wall.
Fear is an interesting emotion. The way it manifests itself into a weird machismo can be fascinating.

Which is also an interesting part of the entire team mentality. Take away the "team" and the tough guys seems so much less tough. Again, look at bullies.

101 - 120 of 122 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.