Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought a 1985 VT700C from a friend. The bike had been garaged for the last five years. Problem is it was stored with ethanol fuel still in the system. I took the carbs off and they did not look that bad but the jets were a little gummed up. Dipped the jets and other parts in berryman chem dip and cleaned out the bowls. All the gaskets, hoses, etc. still in good shape. Drained all the fuel from the tank (Or at least I thought). New fluids, oil, gear oil, coolant, and fuel. New fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, and new battery.

I get it all back together and attempt to start. Set the choke and it fires up first try. I give it some gas and it sounds strong until I let off the gas to idle and it dies. Now I can't get it started again. It will run for a couple of seconds and dies over and over.

Now I notice there is still some old gas in the line. I drain the carbs, lines, and tank, this time making sure I have all of the gas out. Still doing the same thing start for a couple seconds and die.

I checked the fuel pump which is pushing fuel, float bowls have gas in them so the fuel is getting to the carbs. One thing I noticed is it does not seem like there is alot of fuel in the fuel filter. Checked lines from the tank to the petcock and from the petcock to the fuel filter and they are clear. If I take the line off of the end of the fuel filter that runs to the fuel pump and turn the gas on fuel runs out with no problem. Once I hook it up to the fuel pump and turn the fuel on it seems like it does not want to run into the fuel fillter, only a small amount.

Should I take the carbs off and clean again, is there an air bubble in the system somewhere, could my fuel pump not be pumping enough fuel? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome!! Does your 85 have a reserve tank? I am only familiar with my 86 and can tell you that there is a small reserve fuel tank tucked in the frame near the area of the swing arm. If yours is set up similarly and you did not drain it completely of old gas, you get the picture. Once you have your three posts, get your issues out there in the technical discussion page. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Ethanol fuel is bad. It's unfortunate you are now trying to remedy the problem. There are folks here that can help you so pics are nice and get you 3 THREADS up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.