Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had honda jet my 2002 honda shadow sabre 1100. Went stage 3 because there were k&n filter pods directly on carbs and breathers. And 2 to 1 v&h exhaust that when it goes to one just has a turn down tip. Anyways while jetting. They said diaphragms are ripped. Replaced them. Bike ran like **** after. Brought it back. Now they are saying it's not getting enough air. Want to just put velocity stacks on but can find any made for the bike. Does anyone know the mm size for the carbs so I can find some that will work. Or any idea how to get more air. Panty hose and a hose clamp on the carbs maybe?

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,054 Posts
I thought Swifty and Oldguy responses to your previous post were good advice. Not sure about panty hose and clamps but my lingerie experience is limited.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes they were. When I got it back from honda when the bogging started from about half throttle to full. Honda took it back to double check their work. Now they are saying because the diaphragms aren't ripped it's not getting enough air now and that's the cause of the bog. With already having pod filters directly on the carbs the only other option I think I have is like velocity stacks or just open carbs. But I can't for the life of me find the throat mm size for the carbs to get velocity stacks. I wanted to go to velocity stacks anyways.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,512 Posts
Measure the diameter.
Check these filters.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honda still has the bike. I assumed they were between 34 and 36 mm. Hoping the tjbrutal stacks will fit. Looks like they only have them for the 750s. Idk if they'll fit.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,804 Posts
Sounds like a nightmare.
Are your pods actually K&N or Chinese knock offs?
Do they have a wall inside that blocks off the ports on the inlet of the carb, the holes in the flange?

I'm no fan of TJBC selling job of stacks with the screens. A brilliant selling job, that i think works with the CV carbs because of the restriction of the screens.
Do you even have room? Is there air flow to the pods?
The carbs are 36mm Keihin, the size refers to the throttle bore not the outer diameter of the inlet which I would guess is 50 to 52mm.

Need Coffee gotta go.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Before spending money and just throwing parts at the problem take the bike out with bare carbs and see if the bikes performance improves. If it does not then nothing you do (like panty hose) will be of benefit.

You may need to add some form of restriction to the exhaust or replace the carbs with ones that have a larger Venturi.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CoreyP and CSRoad

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
ripped diaphragms allow LESS air in... find a better mechanic.

I would consider a stage 3 kit to only be chosen IF you have changed to hi performance cams, raised the compression , bored the cylinders and possibly ported the heads. It's overkill otherwise.

Why don't people understand these "CV carbs" = Constant Velocity, They're only going to allow enough airflow through the venturi area to keep the velocity constant. that's one of the diaphragm's functions, the other being to raise the needle the appropiate amount for the velocity/throttle opening to allow proper amount of fuel in. You can't ram more air in without screwing them up.

Go look up FactoryPro.com CV carb tuning , read the low speed one (under 10k rpm) thoroughly, several times. There is a proven sequence that needs to be followed to determine what components to use. The correct main jet is the 1st thing that needs to be done.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are actual k&n. It's Midwest honda that has done the work. And they said it runs good with just open carbs now. Full throttle range. So looks like gonna run panty hose.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Good to hear they got it sorted.
Closest thing to panty hose is a UNI single thickness pod with barely any oil on it, if
you have room. They have spring inside to keep their shape but that still allows some bending/deflection.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those are exactly what I was looking at csroad. I think I'm gonna try to find velocity stacks that'll fit with screens. Or use unis. Thanks for the advice and help guys

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Those are exactly what I was looking at csroad. I think I'm gonna try to find velocity stacks that'll fit with screens. Or use unis. Thanks for the advice and help guys
Stacks with screens are no where like an--- open intake, they are like the open intake area minus the area reduction of the screen.
The amount of restriction might surprise you. There are charts somewhere on the scientific internets that show this based on wire gauge and pitch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah. I'm thinking put the stacks on and lean out the air fuel just a little and it should run good.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
If your talking about the air/fuel mixture screw, that only has any real effect from idle to 1/4 throttle.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Lightly oiled foam is pretty much the best air filter. Paper elements would last a week on my Dunebuggy. Oiled foam weeks or months, then just wash the foam out with Dawn, let dry, re-oil, squeeze the excess out and go again,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah. I just was trying to go with whatever has the best airflow. So if it's foam then I'll go that way. I just figured the v stack with the screen would have the highest flow rate.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
2,008 Posts
It sounds to me like they sold you too big of a jet kit (too rich) and then tell you to lean it out to fix the problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts