Honda Shadow Forums banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

· Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,969 Posts
Hmmm the old Scootworks belt drive conversion bragged about belts being much more efficient...
Hmmm...they were selling them, weren't they?
Chains win over belts in power transmission, initial cheapness, ease of gearing changes and ability to function, at least for a while, in adverse environmental conditions.
They lose in noise, lack of cleanliness and more frequent maintenance.

You don't see many competion bikes with other than chain drive, there must be a reason.

· Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
3,201 Posts
Hmmm...they were selling them, weren't they?
Chains win over belts in power transmission, initial cheapness, ease of gearing changes and ability to function, at least for a while, in adverse environmental conditions.
They lose in noise, lack of cleanliness and more frequent maintenance.

You don't see many competion bikes with other than chain drive, there must be a reason.
One reason I could see in competion is a chain can be swapped quickly while a belt drive you have to pull the swingarm. Also fine tuning your gearing with a sprocket change is easy with a chain drive. If power and adjustability is what your after, chain drive. Belt or shaft for more layed back riding with less maintenance. I have all of them and they all work well.

· Registered
74 Posts
Not exactly true, I own a Indian scout, current production, and it’s rated at 100hp at the crank, and 85-87 rear wheel, only weighs 550lbs. Thing is a monster it does 0-60 in 3.3 seconds, and if you dare take it to it’s full 8,300 rpm rev limit, you’ll pass 80 mph in 2nd gear.

Granted I’m talking a bike that’s more than double what a shadow sells for, so you kinda get what you pay for. I do have to admit though I actually really prefer my Honda 750 RS, because I’m not afraid of it as much. I occasionally do stuff on that Honda I wouldn’t dare do on the Indian, cause I’d likely end up on the ground.
I was talking about Hondas not Indians. I am well aware of what an Indian can do and the K2 Kawie. But this is a Honda site. My point is we used to be able to buy Honda cruisers that had some power but those days are over.

· Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,508 Posts
That 650 Nighthawk had more power than your 750.
The only two Honda power cruisers of age that sport 1:7ish PTWR are the Valkyrie F6, VTX1800C, and the Magna 750 thus all this cruiser "bench" racing is a tad mundane. :p BTW what happened to the OP, we scare him off. :LOL:

· Registered
3,278 Posts
Must have been a troll?

Every time I hear about shadows and fast I have to think it's like two old men arguing about whose 4 door econo-box is faster... simply doesn't matter as the answer is neither..

Edit: CS is an exception to the rule.

· Registered
212 Posts
With a light tail wind & a 18T/38T sprocket combo on my 750 ACE, the speedometer needle went past the upper right corner of the odometer window. I normally don’t ride that way, but now & then I have to make sure my bike is in tune 😉
Land vehicle Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle Light

· Registered
49 Posts
Roadrash brings up a good point. Another way to get your Shadow to apparently go faster is to put on a smaller front wheel.
Thelma and Loise that pig...it takes 20 seconds to achieve terminal velocity..guaranteed 120!!!!

· Registered
785 Posts
People LIE and say "I can go 120mph". NO YOU DON"T. Not in a stock VT750 ACE.
To "Thelma and Louise" a vehicle means to drive it off a cliff, like the protagonists did with their '66 T-Bird in the film of that name.

The 120 mph mentioned is the terminal velocity of a human body in the belly down position, making no effort to streamline themselves. It takes about 12 seconds to reach that terminal velocity. If a person tucks in their arms and legs and drops feet first or headfirst, they can get going quite a bit faster, up to perhaps 200mph. The record speed for a human in free fall, is an amazing 834 mph, but Felix Baumgarten started up pretty high where the air is a lot thinner. I'd argue that the Shadow, or the Shadow/human rider combination, having substantially higher mass and density, and not much more, or possibly less surface area than the spreadeagled human falling belly first, would achieve a substantially higher terminal velocity, which is why I quipped 150 mph for the British air-dropped motorcycle from WWII. For purposes of a quick joke, it doesn't seem worth going through the calculations, and regardless, one would have difficulty finding a cliff high enough to achieve terminal velocity.

Nobody seemed to get the joke when we made it back in posts #25, #29, and #32, either, even with the comedic illustration.

· Registered
7 Posts
Is there anything that well make a 2009 Honda 750 areo run faster all I can get it to go is about 105 mph
it's kinda frustrating to have a 750 that is slower then an average 350, trust me i know the feeling and like someone else indicated, i'm amazed that you were able to hit 105. Honda really screwed the pooch with the 2nd generation VT750's, the original shadow 750 was barely adequate with 70hp and it was considerably lighter, the 2nd gen shadow 750's at 600lbs and only 45hp are total gutless pigs and sadly as amazing as this sounds, there seems to be 0 aftermarket performance parts available for the vt750's. there is an older post in the forum where somebody switch out the cams with cams from a certain 650 which he claimed really livened up his vt750 performance but for me the post lacks some critical details to make me comfortable about attempting the switch. the things i have done to make my VT750 at least safe for highway riding is opened up both the intake and exhaust so they flow more air and switched my gearing to 18/38 however. in order to install an 18 tooth counter sprocket you have to make a few modifications but for me it has been well worth it. the 38T rear sprocket you can get anywhere online but these are the mods needed and and a link for the 18T gear:
first the teeth on the PBI 18T need to be cut from their pointed 10.5 mm height down to match the non-pointed 7 mm height of the stock 17T counter sprocket and secondly the shifter shaft still has to be notched by a few mm for the sprocket to clear. The whole job took me only a few hours to do and that was with me going extra slow while figuring out what all needed to be done.

· Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
3,644 Posts
it's kinda frustrating to have a 750 that is slower then an average 350, trust me i know the feeling and like someone else indicated, i'm amazed that you were able to hit 105.
For ‘screwing the pooch’, they sure seemed to sell enough of them. How many other bike lines are still going almost 40 years later? Is there any part of ‘laid back cruiser’ that you’re not understanding? 😉 I know when I only weighed 140-160lbs, the first Gen 750 was powerful enough. Though I knew what high-strung 250+ 2-strokes and super sports like the Interceptor and such could do. Definitely overkill, though fun as anything…

I think @CSRoad was forthcoming enough about his cam swap from the Hawk, I believe it was. He’d probably tell you more, if you managed to find a set. If you can do that front sprocket modification, changing the cams shouldn’t be too big a deal. Doesn’t sound like custom grinding or anything was involved…

· Registered
3,278 Posts
it's kinda frustrating to have a 750 that is slower then an average 350, trust me i know the feeling and like someone else indicated, i'm amazed that you were able to hit 105. Honda really screwed the pooch with the 2nd generation VT750's, the original shadow 750 was barely adequate with 70hp and it was considerably lighter, the 2nd gen shadow 750's at 600lbs and only 45hp are total gutless pigs and sadly as amazing as this sounds, there seems to be 0 aftermarket performance parts available for the vt750's. there is an older post in the forum where somebody switch out the cams with cams from a certain 650 which he claimed really livened up his vt750 performance but for me the post lacks some critical details to make me comfortable about attempting the switch. the things i have done to make my VT750 at least safe for highway riding is opened up both the intake and exhaust so they flow more air and switched my gearing to 18/38 however. in order to install an 18 tooth counter sprocket you have to make a few modifications but for me it has been well worth it. the 38T rear sprocket you can get anywhere online but these are the mods needed and and a link for the 18T gear:
first the teeth on the PBI 18T need to be cut from their pointed 10.5 mm height down to match the non-pointed 7 mm height of the stock 17T counter sprocket and secondly the shifter shaft still has to be notched by a few mm for the sprocket to clear. The whole job took me only a few hours to do and that was with me going extra slow while figuring out what all needed to be done.
There's a reason they call these "Cruisers" ,,,

Reactions: torinogt
41 - 60 of 69 Posts