Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the importance of using the rear brake in combination with the front brake. For some reason I so often find myself strictly using the front brake while downshifting appropriately when stopping or slowing. It seems I have to concentrate and force myself to use the rear brake. It just seems natural and more comfortable just to downshift and front brake at the same time. I don't get the nose dive as if using the front brake only. Does anybody else have this feeling or issue?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have this issue... But, when someone pulls out in front of me, I employ all 3 so I don't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
16,784 Posts
Just the opposite for my technique...
I check things out when I read the questions here on HSN and pay attention...
This came up a few months back and I studied myself on the down shifting/braking formula I use...
I rarely apply the front brake when slowing but rather use rear brake as I downshift through the gears, until time to stop...
Oh I use plenty of front brake for quicker stops!!!
But a stop sign or traffic light it`s more rear brake...
I ain`t right by any means...

Merry Christmas,
Ann & Dennis

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think it's good to use both brakes all the time. That way in an emergency it is most natural for you to stop, using both.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Used correctly brakes can last a long time, mine are the originals at 65,000 miles. I learned it this way, front brake over 40mph, rear and lighter front under forty, along with proper gearing down the engine, ie down shifting all along.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Used correctly brakes can last a long time, mine are the originals at 65,000 miles. I learned it this way, front brake over 40mph, rear and lighter front under forty, along with proper gearing down the engine, ie down shifting all along.
WOW, 65,000 miles. You must not slow down much:)

How is your clutch? Do you take it really easy on the brakes, i.e. plan a ling time in advance and decelerate slowly?

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
WOW, 65,000 miles. You must not slow down much:)

How is your clutch? Do you take it really easy on the brakes, i.e. plan a ling time in advance and decelerate slowly?

I had a complete clutch replacement around 58,000 miles. I might have gotten away with new springs but with the mileage as it was I went the whole nine yards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts