Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On this forum and others whenever I hear carburetor cleaners mentioned, it's Seafoam. Each case is different. The extent to which each machine has become clogged is individual, so it's difficult to honestly compare.
In 2001 I purchased a 1979 GL1000. It had been stored away for years in a garage. It was running on two cyinders it was so bad. I used Techron to remedy that. I've had equally good results with Gumout and Berryman's. I've used Sea Foam and it's hard to say because the results were inconclusive. One way to tell if a product is truly worth it's reputation is to judge how long it's been around. Gumout I believe is the oldest. It's been around for at least fifty years. Berryman's has been around for a long time, if not as long. It's hard for me to justify Sea Foam's price when the others have proven themselves several times in my own personal experience already.

Sidenote: I went to electronics school at night, we all had day jobs. My lab partner was a girl who worked at the Berryman's factory. She always smelled like B12 Chemtool. We ended up being romantically involved for a while. I guess you could say the smell of B12 Chemtool brings back romantic memories.

·
Registered
18,122 Posts
Speaking from experience +++>
Marvel Mystery oil is another "Oldie" with which I`ve had good results, and bad...
BUT I think the one "bad result" is a result of the product removing too much grime from a motor heads and crankcase which caused the oil journals to clog with the crud broken aloose...
(On a "Quaker State Motor")
Yes these products can clean crankcases if put in the oil and carburetors when added to gas...
Seafoam MAY be the cause for my Sturgis buddy having to replace his clutches on the 650 Yamaha, problems began after using it???
However, we`re discussing carburetor cleaning...
I manually clean mine whenever I have a problem, thattaway I can see what the real problem is, check other components than fuel passages and clean the entire unit for other purposes...
I`ll read along on this as it develops,
D

·
Registered
711 Posts
Can 'O Worms!!! =)

I've struggled with the "additives" thing for some time. As the saying goes, "there's nothing new under the sun." Marvel Mystery oil, a cap-full of Kerosene or how 'bout the ol' Bon Ami dusting? !!!!

Been approached by several "fixes with a twist cap" opportunities and I've shied away from them, short of some carb cleaners, etc. At least in any engines that I wanted to keep. Now, don't take that as they don't work like they said, I just can't seem to make the jump over that mental hurdle in many cases.

When I have, here's my experience:

Demo car (definitely NOT a long-term relationship): Leaked oil like a sieve, and they wouldn't let it run. Go back, drain oil and dump a bunch of slick something or other in it. Drain THAT and run it! It can't leak what it doesn't have! Engine ran, but had a few more "ticks" than normal.

Daily driver Dodge Ram truck: Friend offered an "oil change with a difference" that was supposedly for high-mileage vehicles over 150,000 miles. Truck ran fine (no noise or smoke) and I wanted to keep it that way. Before the next oil change, it smoked on start-up. You decide.

My Shadow (attempting to keep on thread): Sat for a while and if the inside of the carbs looked like the outside of the bike, it's a wonder it ran. I had some Royal Purple carb cleaner and put some in the tank. When we tore the carbs down to re-jet, we were all impressed with how clean they were inside. Were they like that? Who can tell?

My friend has a Sportster that was popping and farting all the time. It sat for a while and ran good when put away. We put some Royal Purple cleaner in it. He put some in, rode it for a while, then let it sit for a few days. Then rode again. The bike ran better by the end of the tank of fuel. I believe there is something to it.

That said, I refer back to a friend who was being introduced to some then-new automotive detailing materials from a national brand. They highlighted the "pleasant smell" of the new cleaner and he mentioned that it smelled a lot like Lemon Pledge. Their reply, "There are a lot of similar ingredients."

There are some products that do, have, and will continue to work. Going back to my statement, "There's nothing new"... only new ways of marketing them! My .02. I'll be handing out refunds after the meeting.. :lol:

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,575 Posts
I agree Seafoam is expensive but the one time I used it purposedly to clean the carbs on the Valk when I 1st. bought it, took 2 mi. on a double dose tank full to "wake up" the Dragon in this bike! It was a well kept garage queen for 11,000 mi./14 yrs.

Gumout carb cleaner is my through the season additive.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Sidenote: I went to electronics school at night, we all had day jobs. My lab partner was a girl who worked at the Berryman's factory. She always smelled like B12 Chemtool. We ended up being romantically involved for a while. I guess you could say the smell of B12 Chemtool brings back romantic memories.
It's a pity that you didn't ask her for the recipe..I understand that the bulk of most fuel additives is light oil such as kerosine or diesel..I don't think there is any substitute for stripping the carbs down and cleaning them properly..

So on a scale of 1 to 10 how does "Hmm..you smell like a dirty carburetor tonight darling" rate?

John.

·
Registered
18,122 Posts
When I come inside from working on whichever vehicle, the wife can tell me what I have been working on by the smell I bring in with me... :D

Everything from Gear Lube, transmission fluid, Carb cleaning agent, to gas,
She KNOWS!

I got a keeper,
D

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
On this forum and others whenever I hear carburetor cleaners mentioned, it's Seafoam. Each case is different. The extent to which each machine has become clogged is individual, so it's difficult to honestly compare.
In 2001 I purchased a 1979 GL1000. It had been stored away for years in a garage. It was running on two cyinders it was so bad. I used Techron to remedy that. I've had equally good results with Gumout and Berryman's. I've used Sea Foam and it's hard to say because the results were inconclusive. One way to tell if a product is truly worth it's reputation is to judge how long it's been around. Gumout I believe is the oldest. It's been around for at least fifty years. Berryman's has been around for a long time, if not as long. It's hard for me to justify Sea Foam's price when the others have proven themselves several times in my own personal experience already.
I'm a firm believer of the B12 after using Seafoam in my previous bikes. I wasn't aware of B12 till I bought my 96 Shadow from my Dad who used it for storage every winter and didn't ride it much during the summer for several years. When I bought the bike this spring and took it out for a test ride before the long haul back home it had hard time idling and response. Added about 2 oz. of B12 and ran it up and down the side roads and it cleared out the carbs. Granted there's nothing better than a complete carb strip down and cleaning after a long term improper storage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts