Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about my 03 spirit not starting when in gear while clutch is held in. Does anyone know what would cause this problem? I posted a few days ago about the apes i just put on my bike, and not sure why it wont start while in gear. It will start while in neutral with no problems, just trying to resolve this issue. Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
There is a clutch switch on the front side of the handlebars just to the right of the clutch lever. You must not have relocated it when you put the apes on. Should be two wires with small push on connectors in the wire loom for the left side of bars. Sissy bars are only for Behutches.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah kick stand is up, and how would i know about the clutch switch?
One way to test the clutch switch is to disconnect the electrical connector that is attached to it and put your ohm meter on the two leads at the clutch switch. You should read infinite ohms when the clutch is not pulled and zero ohms when the clutch is pulled.

Another way to test the switch would be to find a spot in the circuit on the switched side of the clutch switch that you can access, then connect your volt meter there with your other volt meter lead connected to ground. You should read zero volts when the clutch is not pulled and 12 volts when the clutch is pulled. Make sure you have your key on when doing this test so you will have power to the clutch switch.

If either of these tests show a problem, then your clutch switch must be defective or not adjusted properly.

·
Registered
17,134 Posts
<<<<Does anyone know what would cause this problem? >>>>
Possibly YOU!!!
<<I posted a few days ago about the apes i just put on my bike, and not sure why it wont start >>
Hmmm...
~~~~"Come and listen to a story `bout man named Jed"~~~~
Not too long ago, I had a clutch cable problem...
I switched clutch cables only to find the new cable I had beena carrying was the wrong length, but installed it anyway soas to attend a very important ABATE ride to Greenville (see thread Kill a GA Biker go to jail)...
I hade to move the clutch lever forward on the handlebar soas to operate the clutch...
In doing this, I put some stress on the wires connecting the Clutch safety switch...
It caused my clutch safety switch to NOT operate, I rode anyhow...
IF I were you, I`d backtrack my steps and locate the problem I could have possibly caused with the Clutch safety switch when I swapped to "Apes"...
Good Luck,
Dennis
T -6 days=Sturgis Run

1 - 8 of 8 Posts