Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having some front end work done (fork seals), replacing air filter, changing plugs, fixing turn signal stems, etc. I pick up my bike last Saturday and I go for a quick spin of the neighborhood to see how everything is. Bike runs fine. I top off the tank and park the bike. There were a few items I wanted to attend to so the bike stayed parked until I got them finished last night.

So the wife and I took about a 30 mile ride hitting back roads and one St. Route to open it up a little, ok a lot. Bike ran great until I stopped to get gas. Topped off the tank, did not overfill it fired up the bike and made the turn off the main street to a side street heading home, less than half a mile, and after stopping at the stop sign when I turned the throttle it started popping, cracking, and sputtering before dying, at the bottom of the hill of course.

Luckily I had the wife with me to share in the burden of pushing the bike up the hill and home. Let it set for about 10 minutes and it fired right up. Sputtered some at first, then ran fine.

I noticed before it died the bike ran cool most of the jaunt and sputtered and died as the temp gauge climbed. My wife noted a plastic burning smell that I could not detect. Once it started again I ran it up and down the street ( no way I was going down that hill) until it got hot again with no issues and did check to make sure the fan was operating properly and it was and I still did not smell any burning plastic smell the wife noted earlier.

This phenomenon has occurred once in the past and yesterday was much like below as far as heat. http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-technical-discussion/96933-1985-honda-shadow-1100-83-0000-miles-update.html?highlight=vapor+lock

This time however; they were new plugs and a new air filter? I’m wondering if I got a pinched vent tube? Electrical issue? I have not pulled the plugs yet to see what they look like as they are new, probably do that tonight when I get home see what they look like and take another ride and see what happens.

Open to comments, suggestions, or thoughts as the only similarities I see from the last time to this time was the hot muggy temperatures and low speed when it died.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I had the very same problem with my 500. It started doing it now and then, and then got progressively worse. I initially thought it was a carb issue and after cleaning/rebuilding/rejetting etc. I finally found the problem to be the front coil. Here it had split and i didn't notice. but when it got real hot it would start arcing to the frame and not firing the front cylinder. Just a thought.

Another thought could be bad gas.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
You said you picked up your bike so I assume you had the work done at a shop. I would suggest that you at least let the shop know that you are having trouble since you picked it up. It is possible they caused the problem. If so they should fix it.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You said you picked up your bike so I assume you had the work done at a shop. I would suggest that you at least let the shop know that you are having trouble since you picked it up. It is possible they caused the problem. If so they should fix it.

Did that. He is as stumped as I am as to why it did what it did other than possibly excessive heat?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Plugs looked fine, vent tube was clear not pinched and secure. I took it for a spin last night without issue. Also stopped and topped off the tank to see if it would duplicate symptoms and it didn't.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
This would be my checklist:
1. Bad fuel
2. Coil going bad
3. Vapor lock

in that order.

Hope it doesn't happen to you again.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Is your engine over-heating? Do you REALLY trust your temp gauge? Got enough coolant and is the thermostat working properly?

I'm leaning towards a bad coil or possibly vapor lock as has been stated (though vapor lock is rare on Shadows), but I thought I would throw the over-heating issue out there given the temps we are experiencing in Ohio at the moment.

Mine got hot as balls during an hour of riding yesterday (fan ran almost constantly) but no other issues (my coolant level is good and system is working properly).

·
Registered
197 Posts
could be a fuel pump or fuel pump relay going bad--when my pump went bad it was very intermittant--it would go days a time before acting up again---if you wanna know more bout how to troubleshoot it PM me----if you dont have a manual, find one to download and do the pump checks.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is your engine over-heating? Do you REALLY trust your temp gauge? Got enough coolant and is the thermostat working properly?

I'm leaning towards a bad coil or possibly vapor lock as has been stated (though vapor lock is rare on Shadows), but I thought I would throw the over-heating issue out there given the temps we are experiencing in Ohio at the moment.

Mine got hot as balls during an hour of riding yesterday (fan ran almost constantly) but no other issues (my coolant level is good and system is working properly).

Fan works and there is plenty of coolant. The strange thing is that the two times it died and once I got it re-started I could run it just as hot if not hotter than when it died and it wouldn’t die again?

I even parked it in the driveway, after coming home from getting it re-started the other night, placed it on the center stand and ran it shifting through the gears as the temp. gauge rose and it would not die out. Fan would turn on/off as it should temp. gauge would rise and fall as it should.

Then I would jump on it run up and down the street, fast/slow trying to duplicate what it did earlier and it wouldn’t.

Common factors when this has cut out, full tank of gas, and the first time I had just filled the tank after running it, and then last night I started with a full tank of gas that had been setting overnight and I only got 17 miles before it died, it has been extremely hot and humid when this has happened.

When it is not hotter than Satan’s shorts out it runs fine, or at least so far it has.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
could be a fuel pump or fuel pump relay going bad--when my pump went bad it was very intermittant--it would go days a time before acting up again---if you wanna know more bout how to troubleshoot it PM me----if you dont have a manual, find one to download and do the pump checks.

I'm leaning towards the pump. It was replaced about 4 years back with an ac delco pump, but when that died back then I just went to start it after it sat overnight and nothing. It acted like it wanted to start, very similar to how it acts when it dies out, but it just wouldn't turn over.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Check out this thread where i describe what happened to mine and what i did with an aftermarket auto zone pump for 50 bucks-----basically you need to pull the 3 wire plug off the relay---jumper the blue/black wire and the black wire with a paperclip---this will make your pump cut on with the key---turn the key and see if its pumping good, do the volume check, just to make sure----if all is well there (well the volume may not be the same with that aftermarkrt ac delco, but if it pumps good, then run it for a few days with the jumper in and see if it acts up--if it does then you know its the pump----if it doesnt then its the relay acting up, in which case buy a new one for 65 bucks or just roll with the paper clip jumper

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-technical-discussion/106531-fuel-pump-intermittent.html

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well almost 3 months later and I am still no closer to a solution than when I started. I could not run it down so I took it to the shop and told him to keep it until he found what the problem was and he might find it if he rode it during hot humid weather. Anyway he tested the coils(cold, then hot) found nothing, he checked for spark and that was a OK, he checks the pump and relay everything is hunky dory, he rides it during hot humid weather, zip, nothing, nada. Calls me ups and says he can’t find the issue, everything checks out good and bike has not stalled on him. So I say fine, be up in a few days to pick it up, what do I owe you, nothing he says, OK by me.

Then two days before I go to pick the bike up the poor guy gets blasted by a cager and is down and out for the next month or so. Bike is locked up at the shop and can’t get it. I can see it. In fact I drive by every now and again and wave at it as it sits strapped to his lift, reminisce about the good times and what not. Got to wait. Felt bad for the guy and was throwing my hands up in frustration at the same time cause I wanted to ride. He got back to the shop a few weeks back so I finally picked it up last Saturday. But long story short neither of us know what the hell is causing it. It would not stall on him while he had it, and I have been riding around the neighborhood without issue since so far.

Right now I don’t trust it on the highway and honestly at my core I am lazy and deer season starts Saturday, so I’ll putt around the neighborhood for the remainder of the year and will get into it this winter to find what the deal is.

Hell I’ve missed the whole damn year anyway, barely put 300 miles on it this year and that is rare for me.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I skimmed.... Have you found the source of the burning plastic smell the wife mentioned? I would pay close attention to the wiring between the stator and rectifier. These wires in stock form are prone to overheating. And will work fine unless they heat up. Also, closely inscpect the coils for cracks. they will often test as good. But as thing heat up the crack will open and the coils short out. Let it cool off and everything goes back to normal, ae least until the next time the wires or coils DECIDE to get hot. Both of these things will put off a burning plastic smell when hot.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
YUP whut he said about that *(^*^*^*&% yellow connector. Cost me a stator and r/r on my 85 ONE TIME. Soldered the wires, heat shrilnk on them and it never happened again. One of the first things to go on my '04 Sabre was that stinking connector!:shock:

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks all. I've got some investigation to do for sure. Went for a ride last night without incident.

Damn sure was good to be on two wheels again though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts