Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently bought a new flasher relay for LED and new lights as my old ones died. Got the flasher relay in no problem and it fixed the hyper flash (thanks all). With all the LED problems (four way flash) and the fact I like the old lights that came with diodes pre attached better than new lights I have decided to fix them.
Here's my problem, I pulled the heat shrink off and upon analysis it seems that the yellow wire from the light (on left) should be soldered to the other yellow wire (on right) on the diode, while the black wire should remain as is (but replaced)-am I correct? Here is the pic.

Thanks

Edit:the right side goes to the light harness on the bike.

Dingo.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Well, that tan part with the colored bands is not a diode, it is a resistor.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I really think nobody's answered because it's so difficult to see what you had to begin with. Hard to say but I'd be willing to guess the resistor was a series resistor to drop the voltage from system 12-15 down to what the LED needed. If so, it could go anywhere in either LED supply line + or - side. I really can't tell but is that bare tinned looking wire another component lead, like a rectifier diode? Someone really needs to look at it in person. If that's what you've got (just a diode and dropping resistor) one of the other guys or myself could draw you a diagram.

·
Read Only
2,714 Posts
Since that looks like a resistor, it's probably to connect to a dual-element so that the single LED light can function as both running and turn signals, with only the two wires on the lights. You would connect the yellow to the yellow, but the other wire with the resistor would go to your 'running' circuit, I think. This way the LEDs would be on, but not as bright for running, and then still 'flash' brighter when the turn's activated.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
The resistor is so that the flasher thinks there is a load there. Led's have a much smaller load then incandecent bulbs and conventional flashers need to have a load to work properly.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The resistor is so that the flasher thinks there is a load there. Led's have a much smaller load then incandecent bulbs and conventional flashers need to have a load to work properly.

The technology and the market have been around for at least twenty years. All this equalizer resistor mess should have been over and done with for a decade. It could be an equalizer but it's a half watt resistor though so I doubt it. Probably a series resistor for the LED.

·
Registered
354 Posts
"The resistor is so that the flasher thinks there is a load there. Led's have a much smaller load then incandecent bulbs and conventional flashers need to have a load to work properly."

The technology and the market have been around for at least twenty years. All this equalizer resistor mess should have been over and done with for a decade. It could be an equalizer but it's a half watt resistor though so I doubt it. Probably a series resistor for the LED.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
question .... the signals in the pic, do they have only 2 wires? I think they do. They don't have a ground wire becuz it's grounded to the shells?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yes, those wires are for a two wire rear turn signal. Runs only as a turn. The black wire is the ground and the yellow is the positive. The wire was shredded in my recent move. My question is where does the disconnected yellow wire go? The black wire will be replaced and go with the other black wire in the picture (actually all the wire down to the connector will be replaced). I just want to be sure both yellow wires are soldered to the same spot on the resistor before i go melting and replacing.

Dingo.

Edit:not my four way flash, others-i want to avoid that problem and don't want to cut my single dash bulb. Just confirming where the wire goes.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I got tired switching back and forth to your photo attachment, so let's give it a another try with a screenshot. I take it that you don't have access to a computer to utilize the Paint program. That's not a biggie being that I never got the knack of using those I-phones.

Anyways, the objective is where to connect Wire A to Wire B or if to connect them at all. Perhaps, others will chime in if you clarify a few items in the photo ....

• does Arrow Z point to the direction of the +12 voltage source?
  • what the heck is Wire X?

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
The wire was shredded in my recent move. My question is where does the disconnected yellow wire go?
Dingo.
If I understand you correctly these yellow wires are part of the LED signals and not part of the original bike wiring..if this is correct you should be talking the the signal manufacturer because anyone else would only be guessing..my guess based on the above statement is that the x wire was connected to another resistor and the yellow wire connected to the other side of the missing resistor.. Don't take any notice of my guess because it is based on a photograph of a couple of bits of wire that may not even be connected to anything and a resistor that I can't see clearly enough to read the colors on.

Wiring aftermarket items incorrectly can cause damage to the battery and charging system and in the worst case to overheating the loom.

John.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Dingo the best way to do this would be to download or purchase a manual with a schematic. Look at the color legend and see how each wire is marked. Once you learn a few simple conventions of the drawing's notations it's really easy. You'll probably find yourself checking other parts of the circuit and you may find other problems you can correct. In the case of modified wiring you can then easily go back to factory. by then you may want to make your own modifications. Some of these are really small. Reading glasses, a straightedge and sometimes a magnifying glass helps.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thr lights used to work. I know how to wire them. the black wire off the resistor hooks up to wire x. The question is not where the black wire goes but the yellow one. To the right of the photo is the wire loom of the bike. To the left is the LED light. I thought my previous two posts explained that in detail. I will strip my other light and answer my question myself. It is a typical resistor wired into a light to eliminate light bleed. There used to be many LED gurus around.

Dingo.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Only works if you use a pc-which I often don't.

Dingo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts