·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
ShadowDave said:
The seller of this OCC chopper on ebay states none of the OCC 'theme' bikes have sold for less than 1 million dollars. :roll: Maybe there is a 'bargain' waiting for someone:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SHELBY-COBRA-GT-OCC-CHOPPER-ONLY-ONE-IN-THE-WORLD_W0QQitemZ140084027606QQihZ004QQcategoryZ147901QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I guess I'll quit worring about spending $39 for accessories on my bike this past month. :wink: :lol:

Dave
Take a real close look at the over-head picture.

Look at the seat? I think if I paid that much for a custom bike,
the seat should at least be mounted straight.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well, that would explain why they have only made a couple of bikes. It's hard to sell a million dollar bike.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I gotta say I don't understand the venom OCC generates on this forum. They make motorcycles, they may or may not be to your taste but why does OCC make everyone so angry?
I saw plenty of custom bikes at the NY bike show, some were magnificent examples of artistry and metalwork, others had welds like bubble gum and zero ridability, but none of them generated the emotion displayed here of an OCC bike (to the onlookers).
OCC may have to go in the same brand bashing category as Harley Davidson.

G

·
0 Posts
cool96shadow said:
I gotta say I don't understand the venom OCC generates on this forum. They make motorcycles, they may or may not be to your taste but why does OCC make everyone so angry?
I saw plenty of custom bikes at the NY bike show, some were magnificent examples of artistry and metalwork, others had welds like bubble gum and zero ridability, but none of them generated the emotion displayed here of an OCC bike (to the onlookers).
OCC may have to go in the same brand bashing category as Harley Davidson.
Angry I am not, sad I am that people are stupid enough to fork out tons of cash for something that has been done in the back yards of shade tree builders for decades simply because it is current "in " thing. There is nothing OCC, Jesse, or even the late great Indian Larry ( who I personally think makes the rest of them look like hacks ) has come up with that cannot be duplicated by a resonable wrench at far less cost.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I personally like OCC. I wouldnt shell out that kind of cash for what they are making but I like what they do.

It is all about being famous. If I was famous I could sell my 2006 Spirit for 2 to 3 times the real value of it just cause I owned it, is this wrong?

You would do the same.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Jeezuz, they just get uglier and uglier.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
CrazyDave said:
Angry I am not, sad I am that people are stupid enough to fork out tons of cash for something that has been done in the back yards of shade tree builders for decades simply because it is current "in " thing. There is nothing OCC, Jesse, or even the late great Indian Larry ( who I personally think makes the rest of them look like hacks ) has come up with that cannot be duplicated by a resonable wrench at far less cost.
While I'm with you 100% on the amount of money people pay for these things,
I think the type of person who buys them are buying the for show.
They are buying them for the "Look at me" factor.

I don't care for OCC myself. I don't see them as craftsman.
While the one kid is a decent welder and makes nice looking tanks,
that's really the only custom thing on the bikes. Maybe a few trim pieces
they design on a water jet, but that's it.
They buy their frames, they buy their fenders pre-stamped and just rework them, etc...
Yes, something any good fabricator could easily do.

However, on the note of Jesse James, he is a true craftsman and fabricator.
He literally builds most everything on his bike.
He is one of the few people who knows how to hand roll a fender
on an English wheel or pound out a decorative piece on a planning hammer.
I admire his abilities as a craftsman and fabricator.
I can't say the same about the OCC clan.

But I am with you on one thing... None of them build a bike
that is worth what they sell them for.... It's just a fad
of some people being able to say "I have this and it costs this much..."

The "snooty crowd" if you will.

I have seen one of the OCC bikes in person and I can honestly say
that it wasn't that well built.
I won't say they have shotty work, but I will say their work could be
drastically improved.
It all looks good on TV, but in person, it's a different story.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I like the bikes OCC turn out, but I would never pay the big money they demand for them.

Hell for that kind of money I could buy a plane ticket to the USA, by myself a VTX 1800 and travel around for a year and visit the HSN Forum members. :D :D :D

·
Registered
335 Posts
OCC is fun to watch, if only to see their ideas. I don't think they execute them as well as they could. I mean, one show I saw they had to run the belt through the fender to get to teh rear sprocket.. but nobody realized it until they already had it painted and ready to assemble... so they cut a slot with a hacksaw and die grinder. The final product looks awesome, but they were controlling the camera angles, and never showed a shot where that part was clearly visible.

·
Registered
213 Posts
All I know is that for a million, or even half a million dollars I would expect not to have exposed tywraps holding parts in place. See picture below.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've got to say that I've always enjoyed the OCC show, mainly for the entertainment value of the "family feuds" but also to see how their ideas turn into reality. Some bikes are really nice, others not. I personally would never pay the price for one. Most of them tend to be rigid frames and at 58, my ass wouldn't like riding on them for very long. My enjoyment comes from taking "real" rides and finding great new 2-lane twisties, beautiful scenery and old rustic bars with an open BBQ pit. I'm afraid their bikes would not be the ticket for the type of riding I like to do.

Just my personal preference. :D

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
aussieron said:
I like the bikes OCC turn out, but I would never pay the big money they demand for them.

Hell for that kind of money I could buy a plane ticket to the USA, by myself a VTX 1800 and travel around for a year and visit the HSN Forum members. :D :D :D
Here's to a grand idea.

·
Registered
622 Posts
It's a free market. Perception coupled with supply and demand. For instance...

2003 Jeep Liberty Limited, cost $25,000
2006 Honda Goldwing Airbag, cost $24,000

They both have motors, wheels, cruise, radios, speedometers and keys to start them but the Jeep outweigths the Wing by more than 3,000 lbs. Why? Perception coupled with supply and demand.

Its the free market and I just love it!

Bruce

G

·
0 Posts
Dr Bob's Patient said:
It's a free market. Perception coupled with supply and demand. For instance...

2003 Jeep Liberty Limited, cost $25,000
2006 Honda Goldwing Airbag, cost $24,000

They both have motors, wheels, cruise, radios, speedometers and keys to start them but the Jeep outweigths the Wing by more than 3,000 lbs. Why? Perception coupled with supply and demand.

Its the free market and I just love it!

Bruce
yep that is the beauty and the curse of it, what is that saying ..a fool and his money are soon parted.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
http://www.bigbearchoppers.com/

Personally, I love the OCC show, maybe I like the biker builder off a bit better but the main idea is I love to watch stuff about bikes. Now, I have looked into becoming an OCC dealer but they have a chip on their shoulders now that they are famous. I think there are to many bikes out there that equal or surpass the quality and style of OCC thus my money would go else where. During one biker build off, Big bear choppers ( run by an Australian couple up in the mountains at Big Bear in CA) won the prize, so I looked at their site and actually drove up there. Check the link out, they have some nice stuff at reasonable prices. Consider that the basic stock OCC bike with a good engine runs 42k, and then look at what you get for 30k at big bear. I will own a chopper, it will be a big bear, and I will probably have them build it instead of buying the kit like I suggested I might do in an earlier thread.

Cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
I guess I will never understand how anyone can buy a chopper for this kind of money. Look at the Ducati Desmosedici RR, it's probably the most advanced production bike ever, basically a MotoGP bike for the streets. Every part on that bike is top notch and obscenely expensive. The Ducati go for 65000$. What makes this drive-way jewelry worth half a million?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
For me I will admit it is an age crisis. I have always wanted a nice chopper, but not rigid tail. I think that I have about 10 or 15 years of riding left IF my back holds out ( hence the amount of mile I put in now). I thought building one would be a great project and teach a lot, but then the comments I got on this and a few other forum reminded me that it may take some time to do and that is time I would rather be riding. I have set a budget of 35k for a chopper and that fits with the big bear model I want they way I want it. When my oldest was 17, I paid 28k for a boat we could al have fun on. Boat stand for ‘Bring On Another Thousand” but it was a family toy ad we had a blast. My oldest and I used to fly a small my little Cessna and he is now finishing university and hopes to join the air force and continue to fly. I don’t see my youngest wanting to bike, but if he ever does, I hope I am still able to join him. Today, my youngest is 4 and he loves to do nothing better the work with daddy on shining up the bike and ‘wrenching”. I will never buy another boat so if and when the time comes, I will pull the trigger on a true custom bike. I WONT spent 65k on any toy.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts