Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
what type of iridiums do you put in it ? i just purchased some oem NGKs to replace the plugs as i was planning on doing a fluid flush and spark plug fix since its an older bike
thanks for reading/quoting my post.
I just bought the NGK Iridiums that are listed for the bike at NAPA, had the counter guy look it up.
I'm not near my records to look it up...sorry.
Iridiums have become my go to for a long time but I've seen where NGK has a different plug now that they claim to be better but that could just be hype.
Make sure the air box still has the snorkle, removing it will kill CV carbs unless rejetted.
I see in your pics the stock mufflers are gone, that'll screw-up the carboration/cause surging too.
And use non-eyth gas if available and (y) on the Seafoam,,
:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
thanks for reading/quoting my post.
I just bought the NGK Iridiums that are listed for the bike at NAPA, had the counter guy look it up.
I'm not near my records to look it up...sorry.
Iridiums have become my go to for a long time but I've seen where NGK has a different plug now that they claim to be better but that could just be hype.
Make sure the air box still has the snorkle, removing it will kill CV carbs unless rejetted.
I see in your pics the stock mufflers are gone, that'll screw-up the carboration/cause surging too.
And use non-eyth gas if available and (y) on the Seafoam,,
Just rereading this response and you mention double checking my airbox. Do you know how to get to the airbox on this bike ? I keep reiterating my lack of bike knowledge on here, guess I’m just used to car intake systems :/

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Check the screws on the back of the tach so they are tight. The 750 tach would do that and one guy had a good repair of the circuit board solder connections. I did it to mine and it works fine.Instead of cutting the case you can pry it loose.

I can now say that those circuit boards in the old tachs are maybe some of the easiest and basic electronics I’ve seen. Probably took a total of five minutes just resoldering it and she works like a charm now, thanks!

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,836 Posts
Good to hear that worked.

Reactions: changstergram

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just rereading this response and you mention double checking my airbox. Do you know how to get to the airbox on this bike ? I keep reiterating my lack of bike knowledge on here, guess I’m just used to car intake systems :/
Sure, air cleaner access is under the right side cover under the seat.
you'll see 3 screws holding a cover under the side cover, the air cleaner is behind it.
The open/snorkle end of the filter is under the other side cover.
You should try and get a manual, there's a thread on here with links to manual that can be down loaded.
In the mean time use the parts layout at oem parts seller's websites to locate/indentify parts.
Here's the air filter layout/parts:
Honda Motorcycle 1985 OEM Parts Diagram for AIR CLEANER | Partzilla.com
Check the other side for the snorkle, also shown in that link, it's an important part of the assembly.
Even the direction that snorkle faces is important, looks like up for your bike.
And know that the INSIDE of the filter is the dirty part as the air comes into it, via the snorkle, thru the filter material to the outside into the box and carb/motor.
Don't bother buying the foam filter element, I did, and it arrived as a pile of crumbled foam in a plastic bag.
good luck,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Sure, air cleaner access is under the right side cover under the seat.
you'll see 3 screws holding a cover under the side cover, the air cleaner is behind it.
The open/snorkle end of the filter is under the other side cover.
You should try and get a manual, there's a thread on here with links to manual that can be down loaded.
In the mean time use the parts layout at oem parts seller's websites to locate/indentify parts.
Here's the air filter layout/parts:
Honda Motorcycle 1985 OEM Parts Diagram for AIR CLEANER | Partzilla.com
Check the other side for the snorkle, also shown in that link, it's an important part of the assembly.
Even the direction that snorkle faces is important, looks like up for your bike.
And know that the INSIDE of the filter is the dirty part as the air comes into it, via the snorkle, thru the filter material to the outside into the box and carb/motor.
Don't bother buying the foam filter element, I did, and it arrived as a pile of crumbled foam in a plastic bag.
good luck,
WOW thanks for the detailed walk through !!!! I’ll check it out !

21 - 28 of 28 Posts