Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C2
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've noticed a particular little sound is getting more pronounced, I need to figure it out. I can't video it, I only hear it when accelerating or going up a hill. It sounds like it's behind me, but I can't be sure.

It sounds kinda like a pressure cooker... "psst psst psst", and tracks with engine rpm. Sounds like air pressure being released more than a mechanical tap. I did adjust my valve lashings a while back after I changed the pipes. All I can think of is that I didnt tighten the front exhaust valve enough (it had nearly no gap when I got there, the rear was correct), and it might be working loose? Could that make it sound like a choo choo?

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,465 Posts
Check all your hoses to make sure none have popped free, you would have had a bunch disconnected to set the valves.
A disconnected crankcase vent hose can sound particularly nasty.
If your bike is a California spec. version, there are lots of potential "Thomas the Tank Engines".

My bike has managed to make noises that were driving me mad several times, the headlight ring, the rotted rubber mounting bolt/grommets on the air filter box, and the forementioned crancase vent. All were related to engine speed and would have passed for possibly valve related.

Good luck tracking it down.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,845 Posts
Have it running at idle and plug off the exhaust with a rag to see if the exhaust flanges or slip joints are seeping.
Another thought is a loose spark plug.

Reactions: Jayspring

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys, I will check these things and report what I find.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't want to come back to report it, I'm such an idiot. Swifty, thank you yet again. I'd been doing spark plug check runs up hills, and every time I'd take the wrench that fits in my pocket and then use my torque wrench to tighten them to spec in the garage once back off the hill. I definitely missed that last step the last time; the right rear plug was loose. I tightened all of them up, sound is gone. :D

And here I was getting set to start removing all kinds of things off her. Bubbles said "Thanks!" and then mouthed the words "Help Me" to you guys when I wasn't looking. Caught her on garage cam.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,845 Posts
Good to hear of a happy ending for bubbles.

Reactions: CSRoad
1 - 6 of 6 Posts