Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first start the bike and the starter turns over but doesn't start on the first try, I've began to notice at times when I bump the starter again nothing happens...total silence. Then I switch the key off/on and bump the starter again and it does turn the motor over, but again, if it doesn't crank on the second try, nothing happened when I pressed the start button again. Same thing, switch off, switch on...starter worked and bike started. And after running it on the road, after getting the current flowing, the starter works just fine.

This is an 86 VT1100, with a new gell cell battery...I did check the battery cables and they were clean and tight. Took awhile to locate the starter behind the rear jug, but when I checked, the cable connection seemed good and tight. Maybe check and make sure of clean cable to starter connection...but other than this...?

Starter? key switch? starter switch? and is there any relay or anything in between? Switching the key off and back on works for now, but not sure about later. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Is bike stored on a charger or maintainer? sesonally or overnight? Check and clean, all switches connections and grounds. Is the battery GOOD? New does not mean good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After searching I found a statement that nothing should be wired into the headlamp wiring, that it could cause the starter button to burn out...recently, I did have a Kuryakyn L.E.D. AMP Gauge installed and I think the guy did wire it to the headlight. Think this low powered L.E.D. amp gauge wired into the headlamp at the Honda shop could cause problem?

Meanwhile, I'll see if I can find some contact cleaner.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
After searching I found a statement that nothing should be wired into the headlamp wiring, that it could cause the starter button to burn out...recently, I did have a Kuryakyn L.E.D. AMP Gauge installed and I think the guy did wire it to the headlight. Think this low powered L.E.D. amp gauge wired into the headlamp at the Honda shop could cause problem?
The advice to clean up the start and kill switch is good advice, given the bike's age. Even if these aren't the problem, they still probably need attention. I would normally be tempted to say that the little gauge would make no difference, but....
There is a old saying that if something doesn't work, go back to the last thing you did before it quit working. It might have been better to hookup to the spare power wire in the headlight bucket. (It is usually brown and not connected to anything.) It probably didn't burn anything out, but it might bleed off some power needed elsewhere.
If you unhook the battery positive cable and put a volt meter between the battery and the cable,(key off) does it show flow of electricity? If so, something is shorting out.
You might put a volt meter between the power wire and the starter to see if it is getting electricity after the first push of the button. If it is getting power, then maybe the starter needs rebuilt

If you are shy on the juice, you might benefit from the regulator mod posted by PainterD. It will charge your battery better. (Assuming the battery is good.)
http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-technical-discussion/107378-charging-system-upgrade.html

·
Registered
4,689 Posts

No the low powered LED shouldn't be an issue. Cleaning the starter switch contacts should be the fix. Easy to do, search for Rattlebars and you should find a link to the site with pictures -very common fix form any model/years of hondas.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, the charging upgrade link may come in handy a little later. I think it is the starter switch/kill switch problem...for now, I just squirted some contact cleaner around the crevices of the switches and it seems to have much better contact. Working good now, and if it does it again I'll know where to start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.