Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there had to replace their odo reset button on an ACE? Mine's a 99. I've discovered that a seal leaked and my button is shot, but it seems that I can't just buy the button, but have to buy the entire wiring harness to fix it.

If it helps, I've got the tank mounted speedo with the odo reset button being a little electric switch mounted in the lower right section of the speedo housing.

Since the harness is a couple hundred bucks and a pain to replace, I'm looking for a better solution, does anyone have one? Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Honda is not in the business of stocking all the small parts that make up the bigger part. They buy the assemblies from their suppliers and add their mark-ups to clear their overheads.

If it was my bike, I would take the speedo apart and replace the switch with a new unit from Newark or similar supplier of electronic supplies. This doesn't replace your button cover though...but I believe someone like Newark would also have memberane covers for the buttons.

But...that is me and I feel fairly comfortable doing that type of work. If you are not comfortable doing it...Then you only options are to find someone to do it for you or pay to replace the speedo.

Sorry it isn't better news.

Joe

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the great advice. I'm totally comfortable with pulling it apart to replace the switch, I'm just not sure where to find a switch or what to ask for. Newark electronics looks promising, but since I'm not exactly an electronics genius, do you have any idea how I would describe a switch like this to a vendor? Are there standard terms to describe this, or standard sizes and styles?

BTW, Honda does sell replacement rubber switch membranes which is a great, just not the switch itself. I'm going to order up the cover and keep working on sourcing a switch.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
zustation said:
Thanks for the great advice. I'm totally comfortable with pulling it apart to replace the switch, I'm just not sure where to find a switch or what to ask for. Newark electronics looks promising, but since I'm not exactly an electronics genius, do you have any idea how I would describe a switch like this to a vendor? Are there standard terms to describe this, or standard sizes and styles?

BTW, Honda does sell replacement rubber switch membranes which is a great, just not the switch itself. I'm going to order up the cover and keep working on sourcing a switch.
There is a chance (albeit a small one) that the manufacturer stamped a part number on the switch. I would say take the housing apart enough to look at the switch. Then take the part number to someone like Newark.

But, you will be looking for a momentary pushbutton. The connections to the pc board will vary though...so I can't give you much more than that.

Sorry I can't help any more.

Joe

·
Registered
327 Posts
You'll probably need to partially pull things apart to check if the switch in normally open (NO) or normally closed (NC). Also check what the button part is like (length and diameter), and the physical size of the switch or space available in case you can't find the same size. Also of great importance is how the switch mounts, if you can't match the mount you'll need to fabricate a mount.
If you have a hard time finding a switch that will work you could use a standard water tight push button anywhere on the bike, like next to the reserve switch and wire to the existing wires. Kinda cobbled but it would work.
BTW, you could check a local Radio Shack, you might get lucky and find a switch there.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hard to find swirches

I don't if they'll have or not, but either of these companies will send a catalog that's quite informative and they may just have something that will work for you. It will help if you physically have the switch in your hand while searching.

1) Allied Electronics

2) Jameco Electronics

Go to their websites and take a look.

John

·
Registered
294 Posts
Are you good with electrical?

I had this problem last year, one of my smart ass friends went and pushed really hard on the button when I wasn't watching and screwed it (It thought it was stuck down and the odometer read 0 and wouldn't change.

I went to Honda, and no way was I going there way. My Father is a computer tech so I asked him what the switches for the power botton where like, They are pretty much the exact same, so we replaced it with the power button (with some mods of course, it's not the exact size) and it works fine.

I guess if you couldn't do something like that, Look around Ebay, people sell the consoles, get one and change out the speedometers.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Odometer reset buttons are just about always NO (Normally Open) momentary-type switches. Depending on the setup, you should be able to either wire it into the two wires coming off the existing switch, or solder them into the board that they lead to at the same two points the old switch connected to.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you have a decent electronics supply house near you and can take in your old switch they will test it to see what it is electronically and then match it against their catalogs and inventory. If you're lucky enough to have an old-timer working the counter you will be saved more headache than you can imagine. (I'm not talking about Radio Shack, either... they nave almost no inventory and kids working the counter that can't find anything, even if they DO have it)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great suggestions everyone, I'll try some of these ideas out and let you know how things work out.

I like the computer idea...maybe I have an old one in my basement I can dismantle.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Trueseaker said:
I'm not talking about Radio Shack, either... they nave almost no inventory and kids working the counter that can't find anything, even if they DO have it)
Radio Shack:

You've got questions, we've got blank looks.

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
5,952 Posts
Thanks for posting your fix, glad it's working.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts