1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
The hell you say!

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
I am kinda betting that Harley would also be named the official motorcycle of Daytona, Laconia, Holister Big Bear, Myrtle Beach etc etc

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I think Harley should announce a (touring/bagger) bike that the average Joe can afford. Their prices are insane. If it wasn't for the low cost of Honda (and other Metric) used bikes I would not be on a motorcycle. Old Harleys are still way out of my price range. With all due respect to those who attend, rally's like Sturgis don't mean much to me. Neither does the fact that Harley is the 'official' motorcycle of the event.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I think Harley should announce a (touring/bagger) bike that the average Joe can afford. Their prices are insane. If it wasn't for the low cost of Honda (and other Metric) used bikes I would not be on a motorcycle. Old Harleys are still way out of my price range. With all due respect to those who attend, rally's like Sturgis don't mean much to me. Neither does the fact that Harley is the 'official' motorcycle of the event.
^^++!!
What he said!

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Curious as to how much money Harley Davidson ponied up to buy the title of "official motorcycle" of Sturgis?:roll:

The Japanese probably didn't care, and Polaris probably didn't have the financial means to do it.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I could have had my Fury or a V-Rod for the same price. The catch? The V-Rod was an 03, the Fury a 2010...since my Spirit was an '01 the choice was easy.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hey.... I found a Harley for a decent price that I could afford!.... It's an '06 and it rides like a dream!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Now I guess they will have an official manufacturer of trailers that carry Harley-Davidson motorcycles to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally award. ;)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Owning a Harley, I still dont care that its the official motorcycle of the Sturgis rally, just advertising IMO.

I love my bike, love to ride, never cared about going to rallies and parking my bike next to a bunch more. I have no desire to even go to Sturgis, but I would like to ride the surrounding Black hills. My bike to me isnt an entry ticket to a social event, its an escape tool that I use to relax, take in the scenery, and forget about everything else but enjoying the moment... but the occasional pondering about problems ride creeps in too.

Brand doesnt matter to me, I am some times the lone Harley among 5-6 bikes on a ride, and the only one on cruise and race nights with 20+ bikes, hotrods, trucks, and barely street legal race cars. My Harley share the same garage as 2 Hondas! And I have ridden the shadow a few times since purchase. For me buying this bike was not about brand, it was about buying a bike that had a large v-twin, looked great, and just spoke to me to put it in words.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Now I guess they will have an official manufacturer of trailers that carry Harley-Davidson motorcycles to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally award. ;)
Doolittle and Lark make some nice enclosed trailers!

Word on the street is only "wallet bikers" trailer their bike!

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
If the folks at Indian Motorcycles were smart they would turn this on its head and start an advertising campaign reminding folks that the Sturgis rally was originally cooked up by a local Indian dealer.

Something along the lines of "The REAL -- not made up by a Princeton grad in the advertising department -- motorcycle behind Sturgis. You can't buy authenticity...although apparently you can rent it for enough money.":roll:

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Curious as to how much money Harley Davidson ponied up to buy the title of "official motorcycle" of Sturgis?:roll:

The Japanese probably didn't care, and Polaris probably didn't have the financial means to do it.

It really doesn't matter since they would still be the unofficial bike of any major motorcycle event apart from perhaps the Americade.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
it makes complete and total sense that Harley would "win" official bike status.

We could argue why they would even want to bring the subject up, iow why even create a "category" just to make it exclusive?

Hmmmm maybe there was some $$$ involved... lol

Being the USA it does make sense that it would be Harley, i mean come on : )

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
If the folks at Indian Motorcycles were smart they would turn this on its head and start an advertising campaign reminding folks that the Sturgis rally was originally cooked up by a local Indian dealer.

Something along the lines of "The REAL -- not made up by a Princeton grad in the advertising department -- motorcycle behind Sturgis. You can't buy authenticity...although apparently you can rent it for enough money.":roll:
They don't need to. They have a massive display every year at Sturgis and anybody actually interested in the historic roots can find the entire story at every street corner.

I don't doubt for a moment that this "announcement' is a direct result of the impact Indian and Polaris have made on H-D during Sturgis these past two years.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.