Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
looks like what some would call "dry rot". The skin of the tire dried out and cracked, yet the inside of the tire is still in tack. This posses a very dangerous situation. The tire could "blow out" at any given time. For that reason alone you should replace the tire.

·
Premium Member
8,930 Posts
Yup! Tire and Tube time! ;)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hey .... It happens. I see bikes all the time with tire issues. Good thing is you actually looked at the tires before you were looking UP at the tires.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,108 Posts
I`m glad you found it NOW, insteadda after a crash!

Date code inside the oval stamp branded on the sidewall info (2709) similar to that...

27th week of 2009 is the birthdate on this code...

Curious minds want tom KNOW>>>

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,368 Posts
Us old timers would call the "May Pops".
Pretty serious on a bike compared to a car.

·
Registered
11,245 Posts
Went to ride today after 3 month storage and found a crack in my tire! It hasnt lost air. Why?????
Because the crack is in the rubber sidewall, not the casing. Plus you have a tube in there.
That didn't just happen while it was sitting.....when was the last time you checked your tires?

Get a new set of tires and have fun riding this year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The date code is 0409. It's a tubeless tire and I check them all the time. I'm chalking it up to stupid Ohio winter of below 0° sitting on concrete. No matter what new tire is on its way.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
My mistake, from the look of it I would have sworn it was an old perished tire..

but as I said with spokes that shouldn't normally be tubeless, and as it is six years old you should fit new rim tape and a new tube

John.

·
Registered
11,245 Posts
The date code is 0409. It's a tubeless tire and I check them all the time. I'm chalking it up to stupid Ohio winter of below 0° sitting on concrete. No matter what new tire is on its way.

There is a tube in there though, unless you sealed the spoke holes up.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Looks like the bike has been sitting outside by the corrosion on the spokes and nuts. Would explain the dry rot on the tire also. I would replace both front and rear tires for safety and handling reasons. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.