Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the Lord is willing, I am planning on a ride from Northwest Ohio to Gettysburg PA. this summer. No real plan at this time, but it does look like RT30 would be a nice ride. Let me know of suggestions, preferred stops, best days, and places to stay. This will be a casual ride and could go anywhere!

· Registered
4,833 Posts
US 250 south of Wooster will take you through the OH Amish country, and that's a pretty nice area. If you want to see something really, really interesting check out the glass-blowing workshops around Wheeling, WV, and on the Ohio side as well. You don't expect to see something like these bib-overalled good 'ol boys from Appalachia turning out delicate and beautiful art glass pieces.

· Registered
1,818 Posts
I'm not sure where in NW Ohio you're coming from, but if you're following the lake roads, you can always stop off at Eddies Grill in Geneva-on-the-Lake while your on your way.

Rt 30 is the old Lincoln Highway. It'll probably be fussy around Pittsburgh but after that you're in the Laurel Highlands and you'll be good to go.

Stop off at Jean Bonnets Tavern near Bedford...
Jean Bonnet Tavern - Bedford, Pennsylvania
...Which has been around for over 250 years. Food, gift shop, and if you believe in them...ghosts. ;)

In the Ridge and Valley section of the state, you can visit the Mountain House bar and Grill right on Rt30 near McConnellsburg. It's popular as a biker stop. I've never eaten there (because I'm still full after lunch at Jean Bonnet's), but I always stop by for a stretch.

Close to Gettysburg: If you're into something goofy, you can hit Mr. Ed's Elephant Museum which is mostly a big candy store.
https://www.mistereds.com/

I've only stayed at two places in Gettysburg over the years,
The Gettysburg Campground when I'm traveling solo, and
The Gettysburg Travelodge when I'm riding with a local group for Bike Week. It's a nice hotel right located where the tourist business district is all within comfortable walking distance. If your planning your trip for Bike Week, you should make your reservations soon.

· Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,291 Posts
Rt 30 is the old Lincoln Highway. It'll probably be fussy around Pittsburgh but after that you're in the Laurel Highlands and you'll be good to go.
No, it sucks around Pittsburgh -- the parts of it you can find. Get about 30 miles east and it's okay. There's a stretch between there and Gettysburg that's actually quite good.

Judy's Motel in Bedford is good place to stop if it suits your needs.

· Registered
5,354 Posts
I was right there with you, even getting excited about Amish country..Right up until the comment about horse shit on the roads..

I would rather ride safe roads.

I wonder how many insurance claims in that area are because of that stuff.

John.

· Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,291 Posts
What's the best way around Pittsburg? North or South of it.
Depends on your goals. I70 will get you past it in a hurry and offers decent riding for an e-way. I76 will get you past it on the north but I have no idea what it's like. There's some great riding way north on the other side of I80 -- but that takes you through some of the worst of Ohio and quite a ways from Gettysburg.

If you're taking US250 as recommended above, you can probably piece together a nice route -- maybe along US40.

If not, staying north might suit you better. US highways don't run east-west through there so you'd have to piece together a route using state roads. Done that a couple of times and was generally pleased with results. I think I've done PA65 and PA108. Maybe it was PA588 and PA68. Or PA228. Not really sure. I've got GPS tracks somewhere but can't tie memories of the roads to them anymore. That part of PA has never been a destination for me.

· Registered
4,833 Posts
I was right there with you, even getting excited about Amish country..Right up until the comment about horse shit on the roads..

I would rather ride safe roads.

I wonder how many insurance claims in that area are because of that stuff.

John.
If you can't steer around a "road apple" or two you ought not be riding at all. I think nraluke was being facetious -- I don't remember a significant quantity of the stuff on roadways.

But don't get me started on camel sh#t on the streets of Karachi's market district where evasive maneuvering is limited by the traffic congestion. Bigger piles, wetter and more slippery. THAT stuff is dangerous.:mrgreen:

· Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,291 Posts
If you can't steer around a "road apple" or two you ought not be riding at all. I think nraluke was being facetious -- I don't remember a significant quantity of the stuff on roadways.
It's generally off to the side. Bigger issue can be navigating around the carriages with oncoming traffic -- our bikes are even more invisible when there's a horse and buggy in sight. Neither one is really much of an issue except maybe on Sundays.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure but it looks like I am taking 250 to 22. Or I could cross into Pennsylvania further north on 51. I would love some company, especially if they know where to go. I will probably stay in Bedford.

· Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,291 Posts
Not sure but it looks like I am taking 250 to 22.
Nothing all that special about that stretch of US22. Takes you through Steubenville. (My friend from there says calling the place an armpit is too high a compliment. I never stopped.) I have taken it on to Pittsburgh, same road as US30 for much of that though I don't know if that's the original route of the Lincoln Highway. US30 is pretty lousy -- stop and go congestion with traffic lights at just about every cross street -- until you get a ways past I76. Not that's it's terrible. Just a lousy motorcycle road.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.