Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,292 Posts
Rt 30 is the old Lincoln Highway. It'll probably be fussy around Pittsburgh but after that you're in the Laurel Highlands and you'll be good to go.
No, it sucks around Pittsburgh -- the parts of it you can find. Get about 30 miles east and it's okay. There's a stretch between there and Gettysburg that's actually quite good.

Judy's Motel in Bedford is good place to stop if it suits your needs.

· Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,292 Posts
What's the best way around Pittsburg? North or South of it.
Depends on your goals. I70 will get you past it in a hurry and offers decent riding for an e-way. I76 will get you past it on the north but I have no idea what it's like. There's some great riding way north on the other side of I80 -- but that takes you through some of the worst of Ohio and quite a ways from Gettysburg.

If you're taking US250 as recommended above, you can probably piece together a nice route -- maybe along US40.

If not, staying north might suit you better. US highways don't run east-west through there so you'd have to piece together a route using state roads. Done that a couple of times and was generally pleased with results. I think I've done PA65 and PA108. Maybe it was PA588 and PA68. Or PA228. Not really sure. I've got GPS tracks somewhere but can't tie memories of the roads to them anymore. That part of PA has never been a destination for me.

· Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,292 Posts
If you can't steer around a "road apple" or two you ought not be riding at all. I think nraluke was being facetious -- I don't remember a significant quantity of the stuff on roadways.
It's generally off to the side. Bigger issue can be navigating around the carriages with oncoming traffic -- our bikes are even more invisible when there's a horse and buggy in sight. Neither one is really much of an issue except maybe on Sundays.

· Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,292 Posts
Not sure but it looks like I am taking 250 to 22.
Nothing all that special about that stretch of US22. Takes you through Steubenville. (My friend from there says calling the place an armpit is too high a compliment. I never stopped.) I have taken it on to Pittsburgh, same road as US30 for much of that though I don't know if that's the original route of the Lincoln Highway. US30 is pretty lousy -- stop and go congestion with traffic lights at just about every cross street -- until you get a ways past I76. Not that's it's terrible. Just a lousy motorcycle road.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.