Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swear I am going to make a honda shadow oil pitcher measured out to the 1/4 ounce. I change the oil every 2000 miles, about every other month. Changed it and the gear oil this morning. The oil bottle has quarts marked off up the side, put in exactly 3 and 1/3 quarts with new filter (always). Changed my plugs to and took a short ride. Came back and checked the oil and it is over the full mark. I know that if it is over it is by a couple of ounces, this bike is so touchy trying to get the oil in the middle of the low to high mark. If I didn't know that, it would bother the heck out of me. I see quite a few new people on the forum so I thought I would put it out there again for anybody that has an 1100. If you search on my name you will find alot of questions to MarkC about a year ago when I bought the bike. MarkC is the OIL GURU on this site. Happy riding.

· Registered
1,541 Posts
It can be maddening, that's for sure. I found that where the oil falls on that dipstick is a matter of several factors:

o How long I waited after turning off the engine. The difference between 4 minutes and six was astonishing. I wish the darn thing was calibrated to read correctly cold first thing in the morning.

o How "level" I could get the bike. A few degrees to the left and it read light; a few to the right and it read heavy. Again, it made me wish it read correctly when on its side stand.

I also found that the markings on the side of the bottles weren't to be trusted. I went to Wal-Mart, got a cheap 1-quart plastic pitcher, and using measuring cups filled up the pitcher with exactly 1 quart of water. I marked the line. Then I marked a 1/3 quart line.

Yes, yes ... I'm being too fussy about my oil. That's my nature. :)

The Wing takes exactly 4 quarts at oil change for the line to be just short of the full line. The manual says 3.9, but the GW forum people said 4 complete and I found that to be true.

· Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cold and on the stand would sure be the best way to get an accurate reading. I don't think it will register on the dip stick the way it is designed, but I'm going to take a look this morning before I even tilt the bike upright and see.

· Registered
94 Posts
My way of thinking is that once you have changed your oil and filter you run the bike for 1 -2 minutes and wait then check the level. One or two minutes does not give the oil a chance to warm up and thin itself down, therefore it takes much longer to drain back into the pan. Hence it shows that it needs more oil. You probably put in the right amount of oil initially but did not allow it to warm up enough or wait long enough for it to return to the sump before rechecking. After warming it up, shut it down and go have a coffee or a wobbly pop and then check it. I bet it will be on the full mark.

· Registered
1,678 Posts
OIL

Maybe I'm right, and maybe I'm wrong, but I are gonna keep singing this song!
When you fill with the proper amount of oil, and you KNOW it is the proper amount, can you not center the bike whether with a stand or simply on blocks, allow it to sit for a few minutes (Coffee, YUM), then simply do a check of the oil level while cold? Even after a ride and you let it sit overnight? Just a thought! If this would not work, please tell me why. :shock:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.