Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched first but couldn't find the answer.

Doing my first tune up and my question is. Should I use "Honda" brand or after market filters?

·
Registered
17,903 Posts
I dunno whether your Bike is under warranty which could require Honda products ???
For the most part this is a matter of choice...
My "drug of choice is K&N air filter and NAPA Oil filters...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Any good filter will work fine. automotive or motorcycle. I prefer the Fram simply because of the wrinkle finish paint. If you ask the guy at the dealership he might tell you that non OEM filters will cause birth defects in baby otters.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not under any kind of warranty. Just the first service I've done. According to the p o, all service has been done by dealer.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know K&N make a good air filter, but are their oil filters good or just someone else's that they put their name on?

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,094 Posts
I usually have a supply of Honda filters which are not very expensive but have run out and since the Honda outlet is quite a distance I use Fram. Most filters are fairly similar and will do the job when used in accordance with the recommended oil change interval.

G.

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
Any good filter will work fine. automotive or motorcycle. I prefer the Fram simply because of the wrinkle finish paint. If you ask the guy at the dealership he might tell you that non OEM filters will cause birth defects in baby otters.
I don't know about the baby otter thing.. But since I want to see an otter with a third beak, or an extra set of flippers.. Let's hope so.. (duck) :mrgreen:

Now...

I might have this wrong.. :neutral:

But I thought I read someplace that Fram make pretty-much the worst filters in the Whole Galaxy?? Something about their standard filter allows the largest particles though - and generally not being too great in comparison..

Got this from "that other" Forum.. Where members blend their own semi-synthetics and have their oil blends tested in labs?? Bunch-a-weirdos that they are :mrgreen: .. But they do seem to know what they are talking about - ?? - would be my point..

Anyhoo.. To add..

These Oil Psychos reckon after all their research (and these fruitcakes routinely cut their old filters open to see what it's doing and how well it's doing it) ..That Puralotor and Bosch make the best filter.. Wix is also a good filter.. Napa Filters are made by Wix, Champion too, also a good filter.

Amsoil Filters?? There seems to be mixed feedback on those filters as there are reports that although they do use a high quality filter medium, they are prone to clogging.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I use these...

... this way the oil tastes as good as it smells!

I know you were serious. You know I wasn't.

Actually I get my ( motorcycle ) oil filters at NAPA 'cause it's right around the block.

I don't think I've ever used an OEM anything. Can only imagine how much $$$ I've saved the last 50 years or so. I've also never used a K&N anything. Can only imagine how much $$$ I've saved the last 50 years or so. ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I went to JC Whitney and ordered my oil and standard replacement air filter from them for my first change when I got my Shadow last year. I have no idea who makes them tho.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
I used the walmart super tech oil filter until they no longer carried them, now using a purolator oil filter. I replace and seal the pleating(filtering material) on an oem air filter frame myself. Cost cutting rider that I am. My replenished air filters run me about 15.00 for two. Takes me about 15 mins per filter.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is this a good deal for $59.49?

GENUINE HONDA BASIC TUNE UP KIT

FITS THE FOLLOWING HONDAS:
VT750 SHADOW AERO SHADOW SPIRIT SHADOW RS SHADOW PHANTOM (SEE COMPATIBILITY ABOVE)
INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING:
1 AIR FILTER 17513-MEG-000
1 OIL FILTER 15410-MFJ-D01
1 OIL CRUSH WASHER 94109-14000
4 SPARK PLUGS 98069-57916

·
Registered
11,470 Posts

VT750 SHADOW AERO SHADOW SPIRIT SHADOW RS SHADOW PHANTOM (SEE COMPATIBILITY ABOVE)
INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING:
Not even close.

·
Registered
17,903 Posts
Going by memory, and we KNOW how I am ;)
Plugs $2 each
Oil filter $4
Crush washer Lost several changes ago (not used)
K&N air filter $50 many years back, wash, treat and reuse ($.50)

I ain`t good at math, but think I save more than the asking price you stated ???

·
Registered
82 Posts
I used an old dog food can and made my own oil filter. Stuffed a bunch of paper towels in there and then attached it with Duct tape. Seems to be doing a great job. Only leaks a little.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts

INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING:
Not a good deal in my opinion. You can buy the NGK recommended plugs from your local auto parts retailer for ~$2.00 Stock air filter from JC Whitney for around $20 no shipping fee. Hi Flow oil filter from Whitney @ $10.99 but you can do better at retail using the recommended oil filters here at 1/2 the price. Either way I beat that price by almost 50% buying my oil and air filter thru JC Whitney and my NGK plugs at my local automotive retailer. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts