Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the specs in the owners manual, workshop manual, and the Oilology thread. I know what I'm supposed to look for, so my question is...

Assuming I would like to get my stuff at the local Advance Auto (really close by) or Pep Boys (Not as close, but not too far, either)...

Is there a particular brand/type of oil that anyone would recommend for my "05 VLX?

And for coolant, too?

I've had the VLX since March, and after putting a few thousand miles on it, I figure it's time to start getting ready to perform some basic maintenance.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Amsoil has its adherants but is mucho dinero. Others like Mobile 1, etc. I use plain Jane Chevron from Costco and change every 3k. Some will argue that is a waste but oil gets recycled these days so it is just a personal preference. Asking an oil question around here is dangerous unless you like reading hundreds of replies.

Any standard brand of antifreeze is fine, ethylene glycol is ethylene glycol. Putting in distilled would be my only other recommendation.

For chain lube, use Teflon or Klotz or read the poop at www.webbikeworld.com

Jez my $0.02

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Shell Rotella T6 5w40 full synthetic. It's diesel oil but is JASO MA rated. Exactly what our bikes need.

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,079 Posts
I liked the Shell Rotella T I used in my VLX the last oil change.

As for coolant, you want silicate free and phosphate free. I used Prestone Any Color 50/50.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Can' go wrong with the Rotella T oil. For the climate where you are the synthetic Rotella might be better. 15w 40 might be a bit heavy for the start and end of your season. Usually they will have Wix or puralator filters that work well too. Make sure the antifreeze is the any color no silicate for aluminum engines. I also use the prestone any color 50 50 premix.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I went with Honda oil. Figured might as well stick with the factory oil. $6.20 a quart at local Honda dealer here. Also went with Honda oil filter for $13

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
i use castrol syn. blend and honda car oil filter same quality at a third the price

·
Registered
74 Posts
Shell Rotella T6 5w40 full synthetic. It's diesel oil but is JASO MA rated. Exactly what our bikes need.
+1 on Shell Rotella T6 5w40 full synthetic. Couldn't be happier with the stuff. I also use Prestone 50/50.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Since I'm just breaking her in it gets the Honda oil. Come fall it will get a jug of Rotella T6. I've used the Honda pre-mix coolant on my other rides and will continue with it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Just picked up Valvoline bike oil at Advance. Price not bad, JASO rated and since it get changed at around 2000 miles, will work fine.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help!

Off to the auto supply store to purchase some motorcycle goodness. :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts