Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on a 2000 spirit 1100 i know not to screw dipstick back in but is the bike supposed to be on the side stand or up right when checking the oil..

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
It has to be upright. They say its easy buy I have a hard time having the bike upright and checking the oil. So, given the choice, measure correctly is the best, and have a friend hold the bike for you.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Oil check!

I simply built a set of blocks to hold the bike in the upright position, not hard to do for sure. After the oil and filter change, I ran it around to warm it up, then set it upright, let it sit overnight and then checked where the oil was on the stick. It was almost up to the full mark, so that is the way I continue to check it. Works for me on my 04 Sabre! :p

·
Registered
‘00 Valkyrie Interstate, ‘01 Spirit 1100, 99 VLX
1,341 Posts
It's actually really easy to check, and when someone told me how, I slapped my own forehead for a week! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Rest the bike on the sidestand. Remove the dipstick, wipe it clean, and place it back in the engine (not screwed in). Raise the bike to vertical for a few seconds, then rest it on the sidestand again. Remove the dipstick again, read the oil level, service and repeat if needed, tighten the dipstick, leak and ops check, and go ride!

This method is at least as reliable as trying to hold it vertical while pretzeling around to reach, read, and replace the dipstick by yourself.

CB

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I have a 2 ft piece of 2x4 that I put under the kickstand, then when I take the dip stick out and wipe it off and just set it the hole (not screwed in) it is very easy for me to tip/pull bike up to level and hold for a couple of seconds (when bike is cold) let it back down and check the stick, works really easy this way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mark C and I plus many others made our own dipstick to check the oil level. An old tire gauge or gram gauge works great. Really anything that will go down the hole with a graduated scale will work. Using this method you can check the bike on the side stand, engine cold and have the correct reading :D
1st step is to get the oil level to the correct full measurement with the engine warm and bike level. Next, let it cool down for a few hours. Then slide your newly made scale down the hole, it should not bottom out in the crankcase but stop at the engine case @ the dipstick hole for consistant measuring. Mark your scale with the reading you get at the full mark. Hold the original dipstick up to the new gauge and mark the minimum level. I even drilled small holes in mine to help read oil level when the oil is so clean you have trouble seeing it. No more tip the bike and hope you don't drop it :) :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.