Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a technical question that a member of this community, Oldguy, left me wondering and that's why I want to clarify it.
Does anyone else know how the oil flows in the area where the oil filter goes?
Honda Shadow 1100, 1987

I left the image of the area that I just repaired because someone broke a piece at the bottom and did a bad job of sticking it together.

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
I`m not 100% on this, BUT I read somewhere that the center hole is returning oil to the engine...
That`ll be the one the fiter screws onto...
Googled it,
Dennis

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
Here's the VT750DC:

I think we need someone with an 87 1100 to change their oil and take good pics of that area. may need to drill out some epoxy,,,

Hmmm, no idea why it double-posted instead of updating.
YES @oldguy
I`ve used and truly Believe in JB Weld...
I`ve been using it for quite some time...
Never tried that stuff they got at the cash register @ Auto parts stores...

I`ve gotta 2 gallon mixable set for a BIG project, but ain`t fount no use for that much yet...
I MAY use it on my goldfish pond "creek"...project,
Dennis

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,207 Posts
This a few years later manual but the picture seems the same as other I have seen of the oil delivery.
Looks like 2 channels into the filter.
Not sure if just the top big one is all that is needed to fill the chamber. -???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
So the top and bottom are normally open, EDIT: Or the artist made an assumption,,,,,, I'd think he'll be all right then with just the top opening. I would still pull the plugs and spin it over before installing the oil filter to verify a decent amount of oil comes out . Could get messy. lots of cardboard/plastic to catch it, Then spin it again with the oil filter on to verify no obvious leaks. No more than 10 second spins at a time, let it rest a minute. , don't want to overheat the starter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the top and bottom are normally open, EDIT: Or the artist made an assumption,,,,,, I'd think he'll be all right then with just the top opening. I would still pull the plugs and spin it over before installing the oil filter to verify a decent amount of oil comes out . Could get messy. lots of cardboard/plastic to catch it, Then spin it again with the oil filter on to verify no obvious leaks. No more than 10 second spins at a time, let it rest a minute. , don't want to overheat the starter.
I believe the oil circulation is only on top, I don't see other space on the bottom, (See attached snap shot )
If there is a holes below they are already covered and I hope it is not a problem.

·
Registered
Shadow VT700c 1986, ST1300 08
232 Posts
I never heard of an engine that the oil filter doesn't work the same way.
The oil is pushed through the several holes on the outer ring in the filter and then after passing the metal mesh will return to the engine through the inner tube.
This will allow the oil a better cooling process than would be if circulating in the opposite direction.
The reason behind it is that by being pressurised against the mesh the oil will dissipate more heat than escaping from the mesh outwards.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I think you'll be ok, Just that the diagram swifty put up kind of shows it doing both. A possibility the oil light may flicker a bit at idle, set the idle up a bit then.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I would still tape some plastic up to catch it and spin the motor over with the plugs out, verify you're getting a decent volume through the top opening. It'll be messy, be prepared. Technically, the messier, the better off you are...

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Something that comes to mind,,,without a flow meter how will you be able to tell by the mess of oil on the floor if it is getting the recommended quantity of oil flow?

I think it would be better to find a pic of a housing that has not been altered. Then if needed use a die grinder with a burr bit to open up the hole.

It would be better to take the chance of trashing the housing instead of trashing the whole motor.

Eric

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
except the housing IS the left crankcase half. If you could get hold of one of the remote oil filter adapter plates it may be possible to hook up a flowmeter. pretty sure it's the same filter as a lot of foreign cars, so should be possible. I'd still just spin it, if oil comes out, try it. If the oil light, come on, it's probably not enough.

·
Registered
Shadow VT700c 1986, ST1300 08
232 Posts
I'm sure you can find a gauge with pressure sensor to put in place of the oil light sensor that will give you the oil pressure.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,207 Posts
My old 1983 has some clacky noise at idle speeds and I wondered if it was low oil pressure. When tested the pressure is good but the noise is weak timing chain spring adjusters.
But I took out my oil pressure switch and put in an adapter that I have from car repair days to check oil pressure. I even thought of have an external gauge connected.
Mine was very good pressure 90 pounds cold and still in the 60 pound range warming up.
You might test the pressure to see how strong it remains as the engine gets hotter.
A few pieces and you could have an external gauge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts