Honda Shadow Forums banner

Oil drip from drain bolt

6K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  brock29609 
#1 ·
Performed an oil change over the weekend. This is the 3rd time I've done a do-it-yourself oil change, so this is something I kinda got the hang of. But, I've been dripping oil ever since. It's dripping from the drain bolt.

On the prior two oil changes, I resued the drain bolt washer. This go-around, I decided to replace it. I used an M14 aluminum drain bolt washer bought from an auto parts store.

I have the bolt as tight as I'm comfortable turning it. Any tighter and I'd fear it would break. I can't get my torque wrench on it due to space, but it's tight. It drips a few drops a day. Prior to this it didn't drip at all.

Ideas? Bad washer? Could I have a piece of crud under the washer causing the leak? I hope I don't have to drain all my oil to diagnose.

#3 ·
Back the bolt out far enough to get some side cutters or aviation snips on the aluminium washer to cut and remove it (yes it's going to drip pretty good but not enough to matter if you're quick).
Then just snug the bolt back down without the washer.
I'll bet it doesn't leak any more.

#5 ·
brock29609,

Markv is correct, copper is the correct metal. Nylon provides a very good seal as well.

Until your next oil change, you might just back the plug out a few threads and wrap some teflon tape around the exposed threads, and re-tighten.

I'm seeing more and more of our equipment coming through with plastic gaskets, it seems to seal ok, but the heat seems to harden them and they need replacing rather quickly due to breaking when tightening.

#6 ·
Whats the big deal, drain the oil into a clean drain pan, diagnose leak / replace washer etc and put the oil back in, better than leaking all over the place. Way better than stripping the oil pan threads, you are not gonna break that bolt!
Tim

#8 ·
I wondered if copper wasn't the way to go. They had both at Advanced Auto. Went with aluminum because that's what was on the bike.

Took the washer off. It definitely wasn't sitting flush, and that's why it was leaking. The outside diameter of the washer may have been to big. They have some smaller M14 crush washers at Advanced Auto. I may try those, but I'm guessing they're a one-time use. But at three for $2, who really cares?

Anyone have any luck with magnetic drain bolts? Saw those at the auto parts store. Worth it?

#9 ·
What's the point? to filter out metal particles? I have seen the magnetic collars that go around the oil filter for the same purpose, plus there's no plug to get all the crud off of this way. I don't know if they will fit around the filter on our bikes...but I definitely want to check it out.

#12 ·
If you have a old hard drive, take it appart. About the strongest magnet I have ever seen is inside. Only one stronger is inside a server hard drive.

Be careful & not let these two magnets come together. The coating can pop off & hit you in the eye! Not to mention you will need a screw driver to seperate the magnets.

I must be lucky, my washer is same one that came on bike 20 years ago. So far no leaks!

Reed

#13 ·
Radio Shack sells what they call Rare Earth Magnets. They are very small and very strong and would have no problem staying put on a oil filter. You almost need needle nose pliers to get them off.

I see you have engine guards. If you lay the bike carefully down I suspect that you could remove the oil drain plug and keep all the oil in the engine. I would remove the drain plug slowly though because I have never done it and the oil level may not clear the plug.

Richard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.