Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
You’ll get a different answer from everyone who posts a reply. Get a filter from a brand you like that fits your bike, and try different oils until you find one that agrees with your bike. Some people like Rotella. Some people say Rotella makes their bike run like crap, so they use Amsoil. Some say both give them trouble, so they go with the Honda stuff.

Just make sure, if you go synthetic, that it doesn’t have friction modifiers or say “Energy Conserving” anywhere on the bottle or else you’ll ruin your clutch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have been running Lucas Semi-Synthetic in my bike since i got it. Haven't had any issues and all Lucas stuff seems to be pretty great! And i run a K&N filter which I have heard bad things about but so far no issues for me. Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
1994 VT1100C
944 Posts
tons of info in the Oilology thread.

You can't go wrong with an OEM filter and Honda oil, but can be pricey.
Some will say use only true motorcycle oils.
Others will say you can use a diesel engine/ heavy duty engine oil (HEDO).
Only absolute is do not use any oil that has "Energy Conserving" in the API donut, those cause clutch slippage.

Some will say don't use X filter because it is garbage, use Y filter because it is better.
Then others say don't use Y filter because it is garbage, use X filter because it is better.

Do some research and come to your own conclusions.

my opinion is in the oilology thread

·
Super Moderator
6,491 Posts
Go with Honda brand oil and an OEM oil filter..... they're goof-proof, even a monkey couldn't mess that up.

But, IMO what's more important than the brand of oil and filter to use; is to make sure you do your oil/filter changes according to the owners manual service schedule or sooner. And (((MOST IMPORTANT))) make sure whichever oil you use that it meets or exceeds the manufacturers recommendation or you clutch might start slip-slidin'-away.

As for me, I use Rotella T6 oil and anything but a Fram oil filter.
Happy oil changin'
Phil

·
Registered
27 Posts
I will agree with pj1207. Instead of stating a fact, I will offer what I do.

I use partzilla to order all my parts - Factory is best in my mind. They even have an option to purchase the filter & wrench (will still need 3/8" ratchet) for my '15. You obviously won't need to do this more then once.

For the oil, I tried going the JASO II 10w-30...but a quality synthetic is hard to track down locally. I switched to 10w-40 synthetic and change it every 5,000.

·
Registered
477 Posts
All I have to say is, stay away from Fram oil filters they are garbage.
If you're not going with a Honda filter, get a Napa gold or Wix they are the best followed by Bosch and Purolator are good, Fram is junk, I used to use Fram till one failed in my truck, thankfully it was in my driveway when I noticed and shut it off before all the oil got pumped out on my driveway.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I am somewhat surprised at the "anti Fram" comments. For the last 20+ years of changing oils in my cars and trucks, I only ever used Fram filters and Valvoline oil. I have never had one fail. That being said in my bike it is all Honda GN4 oil and Honda or Fram filters.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
I am somewhat surprised at the "anti Fram" comments. For the last 20+ years of changing oils in my cars and trucks, I only ever used Fram filters and Valvoline oil. I have never had one fail. That being said in my bike it is all Honda GN4 oil and Honda or Fram filters.

You might not have been around back when Fram filters reputation got ruined. At one time, when Fram filters were made in America, you couldn't buy a better filter anywhere. Fram was America's favorite filter and people swore by them. Well built, and sturdy. Then Fram sold out to a company in China and shortly afterwards people began complaining of the filter media breaking down and clogging up the system. There were horror stories galore. Myself and many other people stopped using them and never went back, period. My motto is 'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.'

·
Registered
477 Posts
You might not have been around back when Fram filters reputation got ruined. At one time, when Fram filters were made in America, you couldn't buy a better filter anywhere. Fram was America's favorite filter and people swore by them. Well built, and sturdy. Then Fram sold out to a company in China and shortly afterwards people began complaining of the filter media breaking down and clogging up the system. There were horror stories galore. Myself and many other people stopped using them and never went back, period. My motto is 'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.'
Exactly, I literally grew up in a service station, and Fram was one of the best back then, so that's what I stuck with till one ruptured and three quarts of oil came pouring out of my truck, if I had been driving down the road I would have lost the motor, and probably caused some accidents with the oil slick.
I would keep extra filters, so I cut one open, you could tell it wasn't a quality filter, new filter and it had rust on the inside.

·
Super Moderator
6,491 Posts
Exactly, I literally grew up in a service station, and Fram was one of the best back then, so that's what I stuck with till one ruptured and three quarts of oil came pouring out of my truck
Imagine that happening on a motorcycle while you're tooling down the freeway? It actually happened to one of the guys I was riding with. What a mess; turns out the Fram oil filter split at the seam near the topside where it screws onto the boss. That was about 6 or 7 years ago.

I've never bought another Fram oil filter since.... Not saying they're junk, but for me (after seeing that) why tempt fate?
Phil

1 - 13 of 13 Posts