Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is oil in the air filter housing normal,Iknow that is probably a dumb question,but since i dont know im asking. I just opened my factory air filter housing to check my filter and oil poured out probably a good 1/4 cup im guessing this isnt normal please help. What is the issue?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
You bet. Check your manual for proper amount. Oil in the air box is generally a sign the crankcase is over filled.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i read the manual for the proper amount but i guess my brain didnt agree....haha

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Oil in the filter can also come from extended High RPM riding. Is also a sign of weak rings, blow-by, and leaky valve stems. But is usually caused by the checking and filling of oil, with bike on the side stand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also have the same problem with my 2006 VLX w/ 5300 miles on it. I've had the bike for 3000 miles and every ride have oil in the air box and run down on the motor. The oil is coming from the crankcase vent tube. Every one has the same reply ( to much oil) but my oil level is below the low line and it still comes out. R there any mechanics who could shed some light. I don't want to blow the motor but having to spend an hour a night cleaning oil off my seat ,gas tank,motor is getting to much. No Harley ever leaked this much.

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,079 Posts
I also have the same problem with my 2006 VLX w/ 5300 miles on it. I've had the bike for 3000 miles and every ride have oil in the air box and run down on the motor. The oil is coming from the crankcase vent tube. Every one has the same reply ( to much oil) but my oil level is below the low line and it still comes out. R there any mechanics who could shed some light. I don't want to blow the motor but having to spend an hour a night cleaning oil off my seat ,gas tank,motor is getting to much. No Harley ever leaked this much.
Are you checking the oil with the bike leaning over on the sidestand or are you checking it the right way while sitting on the bike with it standing straight up?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes bike standing straight up motor warmed up dipstick just sitting in hole. I find if I stay under 55 mph the oil does not come out alot. But if I gas it up to 60 mph + it comes out with in the first 15 miles. Could it be possible that the VLX is not ment to drive over 60 mph? I drive 70 miles each way to work ( no highways ) is this to much for the old girl!

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,079 Posts
Yes bike standing straight up motor warmed up dipstick just sitting in hole. I find if I stay under 55 mph the oil does not come out alot. But if I gas it up to 60 mph + it comes out with in the first 15 miles. Could it be possible that the VLX is not ment to drive over 60 mph? I drive 70 miles each way to work ( no highways ) is this to much for the old girl!
A VLX can do 60 mph and more just fine. (And a 2006 with 5300 miles on it is far from an old girl ;) )

I never had a similar problem with mine. The only time it leaked oil, it was obvious where it was coming from. My only suggestion would be to do a really good inspection to make sure that the oil is coming from where you think it's coming from.

Hopefully someone else will have some other ideas.

As a sidenote, as long as you are keeping an eye on your oil level, you don't have to worry about hurting the engine. Just don't let it get too low.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the help maybe I'll take it in to the dealer I've had coments that to much positive crankcase presure is not a good thing. And also going with 10w40 would be much better for her in this heat wave! As for inspection I have removed the gas tank to check for a kink line etc. But all I find is the crankcase bottle is full of oil!

Thanks for any help:)

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Thanks for the help maybe I'll take it in to the dealer I've had coments that to much positive crankcase presure is not a good thing. And also going with 10w40 would be much better for her in this heat wave! As for inspection I have removed the gas tank to check for a kink line etc. But all I find is the crankcase bottle is full of oil!

Thanks for any help:)
Harrison, check out the oilology thread in the Technical section of the forum. There's a post in there about 10w40 motorcycle oil and how poor it really is. I guess the idea behind that theory is that m/c oil does several things including lubricate the engine, tranny (whicshears the oil), cools the clutch and helps cool the engine. Alot of riders in this forum use Shell Rotella 15w40 dino. I use Shell Rotella T6 synthetic 5w40. I am extremely happy with it and with our cooler mornings here near London, Ont, the 5w makes the cooler starts much easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts