Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, first off this is on a 83 Honda FT500 (single cyl engine). But the resources here have been great for my VT750c I figured I'd try this forum first.

Just picked up an 83 Honda FT500 Ascot ... ran well, took it home and took off the side covers to do some work to add saddle bags. Noticed the air filter wasn't seated properly so I fixed it and continued adding the bags. When I got done, went to start the bike and it would only run while keeping on the throttle. If I left off the throttle the bike immediately stalled. So knowing the only thing I did was reseat the air filter, I removed it and the bike started up. That's when I noticed a pool of oil in the bottom of the air box!

So, I'm guessing that oil in the air box is bad. Where do I start?

Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AngryHatter said:
For whatever reason you were starved for air, and seemed to have that solved.
Running high RPMs will cause blowback - oil in the aircleaner.
If you have more than a teaspoonfull - IE a lot, then you have a prblem, otherwise a little is fairly normal.
OK, It's probably close to a teaspoon full. I have a new filter on order and will clean the box out and see what happens. Let's say that when I clean it out and start it up the oil returns (without running at high RPM's) .. what should I look at?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Check for over-fill of the oil in the engine. Don't know how much goes in this bike but it ain't much. Probably about 2.75 qts......tops. :roll: Over filling will give this amount of oil...but not always. High reving ...yeah, some. I'd also check the engine vent hose for a little blockage/residue/crud in the tube....it does build up from time.

If you don't have the MOM might find some info about the filter area on the Ron Ayers site. www.ronayers.com

Over all it's a pretty good bike for a single.

Bullzeyet

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.