Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've determined that oil is leaking from the rear head valve cover gasket. As my Shadow leans on its side stand a small oil leak is dripping out from the left corner of the rear cover, even after it's been sitting for a day. My question is this: Is the oil supposed to be that high in the cylinder where it could leak out? I thought that the oil would drain down below the head cover gasket.

I just had the valve cover off a few days ago as I checked my valve clearances and oil wasn't pouring out. I'm thinking perhaps I dropped something in the cylinder that clogged it up. I did have it on my rear stand though that may have leveled the oil out. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,653 Posts
Someone else had asked the same thing a while back. The oil normally drains out the right side where the cam chain opening is on the rear head.

So when leaned over to the left it can pool against the cover seam and after years the gasket or sealing material is seeping.

Mine has seeps from the rubber cam plugs.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,543 Posts
Is the oil supposed to be that high in the cylinder where it could leak out? I thought that the oil would drain down below the head cover gasket.
Yeah, oil is supposed to be that high in the engine. Otherwise you'd have bigger problems than an oil leak. Since you had the cover off a few days ago, I'm leaning towards a gasket leak issue. You did use new gaskets and clean both mating surfaces real good?

But I have a bigger question........ You mentioned that you had it on it's rear stand. I wasn't aware of a VT-750 Spirit having a rear stand? All the one's I've seen only have a side stand. What's up with that?
Phil

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What's up with that?
Phil

Thanks for the replies.I have a LP racing stand that I use to prop up the rear wheel. Works really well for my bike. I put the paddles under the swing arm. Don't need a second person for help.

I'm going to replace the gasket when I get the parts. Don't like the idea of taking it apart again, but the shop was going to charge me $265 for the job. No thanks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear ya...... If you've got the tools, the time and the know-how; that's the only way to go. And in the end YOU'LL know it's done right.

So true Phil. I had a shop forget to mushroom a master link on a new chain and put a new Dunlop tire on front and a Bridgestone on the back in one service. That's when I told myself I'm going to learn how to do this stuff myself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Someone else had asked the same thing a while back. The oil normally drains out the right side where the cam chain opening is on the rear head.

So when leaned over to the left it can pool against the cover seam and after years the gasket or sealing material is seeping.

Mine has seeps from the rubber cam plugs.
Pretty old thread going on here but I just picked up a 07 shadow 750 and noticed a little seeping coming from what I believe to be the same area. Until I have the time and money to do the job, is it okay to ride in the meantime?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,653 Posts
Keep the oil full and clean the area off well so you can identify the source.
Oil leaks usually always go down and rearward so take that into consideration.
It won't hurt to ride if it isn't dripping onto the rear tire .

·
Registered
2 Posts
What’s up guys I was doing some work to the 750 and noticed the front valve cover was leaking and I’m just looking to find out if the gasket are the same cause I came seem to find anything that say one for the front or back

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,362 Posts
When the front cylinder head gasket leaked on mine it was at the front over the exhaust port...
When I fixed it, the old one had hardened, I be thinking from heat off the exhaust???

Good Luck
Dennis

I don`t what Bike you got listed anywhere @Kristian

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Cappy wins the cigar, it's close enough. Close by saying most of it is heat cycled related. All those rides before the valve cover come apart for that last sealing time [even a few inspections of reuse]. Designed so the rubber buttons collapse, already home'd the rubber cover gasket. Those shrink from the squeeze, or 'loss of memory' is the once supple rubber to expand and cause tension.

This is basically the same effect of turning down the orings on an oil filter, being a bitch to spin off now. The old style CB-4's Honda line of oil filter cartridges in reusable spin on oil filter cage and bolt. Where those 12mm hex heads would be torn off due to the over compression of the large oring. Where you can feel you barked down the dipstick on the bike, and have to use pliers to loosen it. That's the power of its compression type sealing effect.

So the compression of the rubber finely gave out and needs replacing. If nothing has changed, look at the OEM paper and rubber. Paper and most rubber parts go on dry, and meet a dry contact point(s). About the only thing needing a sticking of, is the channel of the valve cover to be cleaned of the OE type gasgashit used to hold it in place.

Amateur move and the bonding agent to mend a leak? Last thing you want is to contaminate the engine with a piece breaking off and just let's say it a squid move, a cheapass fix, buy new or your call, your oil passage failure.

-Edit-

Kris, I believe they are both the same gasket replacement wise. Look up Ron Ayers and walk yourself to the parts page of both heads. Shows both the same part number. Say the one fails, it would be wise to change both. They are like a bulb. One fails you change the other soon. Rather than wait, let the case of beer wait -wink-wink.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,653 Posts
I understood what you meant, but would a new guy be able to comprehend a riddle?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Appreciate y’all boy, got busy on the bike today and found out it’s my front valve cover leave and soaking the whole left side on the motor. I don’t get paid till next week but I have some gasket maker. You think if I pull the covers and add some silicone to the old gaskets that it’ll hold till payday?

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,774 Posts
Well the gaskets I'm using are either 1988 or 1999 vintage I don't know which I grabbed off the bench.

Cleaned them up, cleaned the covers, stuck them in the grooves with Permatex Ultra something silicone and reinstalled them with no silicone on the head face, no leaks.
The gasket is quite a chunk of rubber molding, not a typical gasket or O-ring and was still flexible, so I reused it.
Worked for me.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,560 Posts
Appreciate y’all boy, got busy on the bike today and found out it’s my front valve cover leave and soaking the whole left side on the motor. I don’t get paid till next week but I have some gasket maker. You think if I pull the covers and add some silicone to the old gaskets that it’ll hold till payday?
If you plan to get new ones next week it makes no sense to go to the trouble to seal the ones you have and then do it all over again in a week or two.

Unless the leak is so heavy that it will leave the engine dry in a few miles or be a safety issue by leaking on the rear tire, I say keep a check on the oil level and ride. But order new gaskets and replace them as soon as you can.

Your call,,,

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,362 Posts
Ride...
IF needed >>> RIDE, Pressure wash the oil off, RIDE, pressure wash the oil off, RIDE....

I know my leak wasn`t bad,
Dennis

Ride - Wash - RIDE

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
You think if I pull the covers and add some silicone to the old gaskets that it’ll hold till payday?
I do not recommend any type of condiment added to the sandwiching there of. I do not like to remove parts just to do it all over again. The less I move things the less damage to the threads and beauty covers. Perfect example is the side cover tabs broken off.
I do not like to sway away from the 'fix it one time' mantra of mechanics.

I will come up with a 'my repair is going to out beat your leak at it,' buy saying the magic words, Mr. Goodwrench intake manifold sealer. Sureasshit seals like it's not going to 'come back' on you is the 'had to use the othershit didn't you' mantra.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts