Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've determined that oil is leaking from the rear head valve cover gasket. As my Shadow leans on its side stand a small oil leak is dripping out from the left corner of the rear cover, even after it's been sitting for a day. My question is this: Is the oil supposed to be that high in the cylinder where it could leak out? I thought that the oil would drain down below the head cover gasket.

I just had the valve cover off a few days ago as I checked my valve clearances and oil wasn't pouring out. I'm thinking perhaps I dropped something in the cylinder that clogged it up. I did have it on my rear stand though that may have leveled the oil out. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What's up with that?
Phil

Thanks for the replies.I have a LP racing stand that I use to prop up the rear wheel. Works really well for my bike. I put the paddles under the swing arm. Don't need a second person for help.

I'm going to replace the gasket when I get the parts. Don't like the idea of taking it apart again, but the shop was going to charge me $265 for the job. No thanks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear ya...... If you've got the tools, the time and the know-how; that's the only way to go. And in the end YOU'LL know it's done right.

So true Phil. I had a shop forget to mushroom a master link on a new chain and put a new Dunlop tire on front and a Bridgestone on the back in one service. That's when I told myself I'm going to learn how to do this stuff myself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts