Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've had my bike for a little over a year, its a 2003 VLX. Shortly after I bought it, I noticed a small leak coming from around the clutch cover. After much scratching my head, I can't find exactly where its coming from. It doesn't leak oil while sitting off, it doesn't reporoduce it for me while I'm watching it. However, after I wipe it down before I take off, when I'm done riding, its everywhere, exhaust, frame, me.... I took some pictures, hopeing someone has seen this before and can help me. You can see that it appears to be coming from the bolt holding the cable stay and where it has "blown" back down the cover.

One dealer close to me wants the bike for a week to have time to change the gasket around the cover. Another dealer, farther away says to remove the bolt shown and clean it and the internal threads then put a thread sealer and a couple of copper washers. He said he's seen something similar before (I only discussed it with him as I didn't have the bike with me). I'm inclined to go with the second one but I'm kind of looking for a 3rd opinion or more.

Thanks,

Keith

·
Registered
19 Posts
Spatter the general area with baby powder and then drive it for a few seconds. You should be able to tell where it's coming from, so long as it doesn't spatter everywhere on you. Try to keep the ride as short as possible, only long enough to show you where the leak is coming from.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What you see is about 500 miles worth of time. It doesn't really leak that much and it only does it for longer runs. It doesn't always do it either. Seems like it happens more when I ride hard.

·
Registered
339 Posts
On a Shadow vt1100, those two bolts are supposed to have thread sealer added to them. I just had the side cover off a couple weeks ago. I used Permatex 2A to seal the threads on those two upon reassembly as my repair manual suggested. The 2A is listed for use as a thread sealer as well as being used for gaskets. (It was only those two bolts that were to have thread sealer, none of the others.)

If you mess with the bolts yourself, I would suggest getting a repair manual and a torque wrench if possible. All of my cover bolts are to be tightened to 106 inch/lbs, yours may or may not be the same. Just dont over tighten and strip them out!

Good luck!
Mark

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update. I removed the bolt holding the cable on and there was some oil in the hole. Cleaned it out and put some thread sealer on the threads and some RTV form-a-gasket between the bolt/plate/ and cover.
No leakes since then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.