Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I noticed my rear tire was dirty as ****. After checking it out i realized the dirt buildup was due to an oil leak on the underside of the shaft where it bolts into the 'pumpkin'. There was a good amount of oil buildup that i cleaned before taking the photo. A small oil spot was also on the ground from dripping out. When i first bought the bike there was a little build up at the area but not this severe. I have read through a lot of posts about oil leaks in the last 24 hrs but none that describe this problem. (don't think its the guide plug) Besides buying an owners manual today, I plan on talking to some local bike mechanics about the issue. If anyone has an idea about what is causing this leak please put your 2 cents in. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Is that STINKY gear oil or motor oil?? Is the swingarm DRY up higher? If oil is stinky, change the gaskets or seals in the pictured flange.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the only place leaking. the top of the swing arm is clean as a whistle... I cant tell if it is stinky(smells like oil) But i recently changed the oil and filter(which seems like it had never been changed, original honda oil filter) and the oil that is leaking is dark yellow.
I have yet to drain and change the gear oil(I was told by my old man, a woodworker, it was lubricated universally with engine oil)... I plan on doing the gear oil along with this current problem as soon as I go get an owners manual today...
Thanks for your impute man. I am new to bike maintenance and there is not a single shop in my area that works on Honda's (only harley's) so its just me and hondashadow.net for now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is the part that will be leaking and it is right at the joint you are showing.
OIL SEAL (36X46X6) (NOT AVAILABLE)91262-MF5-000001

As you can see it shows not available from Honda so you can try you local NAPA auto parts. But before you do that try to drain the final drive and while it is open use a air hose to check the vent on top of the drive (but becarefull)
CAP, BREATHER 41306-MB0-020001 SS
BREATHER ASSY. (NOT AVAILABLE) 41306-ME5-305001
Only the cap is avail. The breather is most likly plugged. Do not over fill the drive when you refill this is one place more is not better.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Yellowish oil is either motor oil or hydraulic fluid from the brakes or clutch. Gear oil, will be black and smell very bad. The drive does NOT share oil.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Desert Rat. I am going to download the shop repair manual now and hopefully get something done. If I come across any more snags i'll take a pic and post it...

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
The Hypoid gear oil that's in the final drive there is a yellow color.

If it's never been changed, then you had some varnish build-up in there which the detergents in the new oil stripped out. This exposed the dry-rotted gasket and now you have a leak. Replace the gasket and ride off into the sunset!

--Justin

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought a service manual online that gave me step by step instructions to basically rebuild the bike. Super helpful. I removed the rear tire and final drive step by step to find that all the o-rings were in decent shape. I did notice that it was lacking grease... No grease in any spots in which the manual said grease was essential. The flange to the swing arm was crusted white it was so dry... I re-assembled the final drive and tire and put the grease gun to all the parts necessary.... I just got home and filled the hypoid oil to specified level and am about to go for a ride... let you know how she fairs... If anyone needs a great serve manual for an 83-88 vt500c shadow let me know ill post the link.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. Sounds like you lucked out a bit. Now that you have the manual go through and change all the fluids and check and lube everything. Doesn't sound like you've had this scooter long. Assume nothing has been maintained properly. Check it, change it, do all the maintenance and do it yourself. Not only will you save a ton of cash, you'll get to know your bike and it will make it much easier to trouble shoot any problems that might creep up later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts