Honda Shadow Forums banner

Oil leak right crankcase

7K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Dingo. 
#1 ·
I have a small oil leak coming from my right crankcase where the clutch cable guide is attached. The oil seems to be coming from between where the guide is secured by the bolt and the cover. I checked to see if it needed snugged up but it is. Any ideals? Leaking at # 5.2003 Honda VT750DCA A RIGHT CRANKCASE COVER | Cheap Cycle Parts

#4 ·
Mine is more of a seep as well. Did the old oring trick work? If not was thinking Teflon tape or thread sealer. I looked at the parts diagram and can't figure out why there wouldn't be some sort of seal. The only thing I can think of is the wrong size/length bolt is in there. Clymers states that the bolts are different lengths for that cover. I don't know man it's just bothering me.

#11 ·
Good deal. By the way, IMHO, the iridium plugs are a rip off, I used em once and instantly went back to OEM style. Somethings about the heat range, I believe the Iridiums are a colder plug, but our bikes are designed to work well with the OEM style, especially for guys like us who live in a warmer climate. Just my two cents, glad you solved you leak problem!

#12 ·
Yeah,I guess spark plugs are like oil,batteries,tires etc. as far as preference goes. I had them in my Rebel and they made a big difference in that little bike and the plugs I replaced them with were still good. I went from aprox. 68mpg to just a tad under 80 and the acceleration/response was night and day(mind you I also run non-ethanol). Maybe they won't make a big difference in my 750,but I gotta find out. No matter what happens at least I won't be all leaky. I give you this as a hypnosis to change your mind about iridium plugs.

#14 ·
I just got back from a ride after putting the iridium plugs in today and no one can ever convince me they don't make a difference(put them in my last bike as well). The plugs I pulled out were fine with normal wear and tear. She idles better,runs smoother,better power, and the throttle response has improved greatly. For anyone contemplating iridium,you won't be disappointed. Now after replacing all fluids and filters(fork oil was done by PO)she runs like I want her with no leaks or hiccups. FYI,I did not attempt to check or gap the plugs on either bike. I trust NGK and would only attempt checking the plug gap after installing and running to feel them first. They can always be pulled and checked easily enough if your not running right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.