Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Honda Shadow VT600C
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed today while I was getting on my bike to leave work that what looks to be oil on the rear cylinder exhaust port. What could this be and where could it be coming from?

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,804 Posts
Oil runs down hill and along edges and fins.
I'm guessing the external oil line to the heads or valve covers or the crank case ventilation as they are higher than the exhaut port
Clean it up and then use @swifty2014's baby powder tracing technique.

·
Registered
1989 Honda Shadow VT600C
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oil runs down hill and along edges and fins.
I'm guessing the external oil line to the heads or valve covers or the crank case ventilation as they are higher than the exhaut port
Clean it up and then use @swifty2014's baby powder tracing technique.
What type of picture could I take to help you see better?

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,804 Posts
The exhaust sits at the low point of the rear head and everything angles that way, a picture of the valve cover, Honda calls it a head cover. then the oil pipe it is a hard line with banjo fittings from the crankcase and then a Y to the heads on the intake side (high pressure from the pump) and then finally the hose off the fitting on the top of the valve cover that goes to the air box.
These are about the only places on the rear cylinder head that can leak oil, prime pick would be the valve cover gasket or I just remembered those covers have access hatches for valve checking so perhaps those not are not sealed.

When you locate the source it should be obvious.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,512 Posts
Unless you see fresh oil dripping, it is just a seep so far.
Maybe the rubber gasket on the upper cover as mentioned, is getting hard and seeping.
Clean it off and dry it and ride and see if it returns soon.
If it does, clean and throw some baby powder on the area to see when it first seeps out.
It will smell good too.:unsure:

·
Registered
2007 VT1100C2
321 Posts
Good chance it's seeping from the cam plug.

On your bike it's a little different than mine but mine would still follow almost that same path. But that's pretty much the path it would take if it came from anywhere around the top of the rear cylinder I guess. Baby powder huh that's a good idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts